Need help getting into a book.

Discussion in 'General' started by ChillbroChill, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Hello everyone, I'm trying to read the book catcher and the rye. From just coming out of high school I've felt that reading was a punishment and nothing fun. Well i'm in my room sitting on my computer chair listening to classical music, attempting to read and I cant seem to get past page 1.5 =/

Ideas?

2. maybe u don't like the book

3. i too have recently gotten into reading.

my only tips are.

-you dont need to be able to remember every single thing that happens. just read it and try to get a general jist of it. your mind will remember it better when it gets interesting.

-it gets me every time. the end of a book is an accomplishment. you feel like you gained something. even if it were just some knowledge.

-and last. if you dont like the book, youll never get into it

4. yah man, dont read it in depth, read and scan it over so you get the summary. If you scan too fast, read it again so you can get a good summary.

start off with books that arent necessarily deep and philosophical...

5. Damn, thanks guys you're helpful as shit. On the side note, I DID smoke before I began to read....Do you think I try it sober first?

6. sober? thats a bit boring. remember buddy, your not reading it for a book report. this is for fun. smoke, drink, anything. but the number 1 thing is if your not enjoying it. put it down and wait till later.

7. Keep trying, man. The Catcher is a very easy book to read and it reads very quickly, I hope you like it.

8. I tried to pick the book with the most sex, bad language, and violence. I'm glad a picked this one :p

9. #9 liekz0mg1, Jul 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2009
    AND a classic. Lol!

Btw, when your done with that book read The Count of Monte Cristo, its a bitchin' book about revenge. I read it my senior year of high school and fell in loovvveee with it! <3

10. cmon man the catcher in the rye is such a bomb book to read when youre a teenager. finish it and tell me you don't think holden caulfield is one of the best characters in american literature. read that shit.

11. I just finished reading Wicked: The life and times of the wicked witch of the west. Pretty good imaginative read, if your into that thing. I've never had interest in Catcher in the Rye though. Id want to read it to get an idea fo why mark david chapman was so into it.

12. Try drinking a beer while you're reading, its helps calm the nerves and keeps you focused.
    I read/write at least 3-4 hours everyday and still haven't mastered reading while high.

13. i think that book sucked honostley
    bunch of phonies lol

14. Wicked was a great book. I just got the second book Son of a Witch.

To the OP. Sounds like you are trying to hard to set the atmosphere. Get cozy, curl up with that good book :)