Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Need help for chronic insomnia for my mom. CBD oil?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by fuzzybabybunny, May 20, 2017.

1. I'm hoping someone here can give me some advice for my mom.

My mom is 65 years old and has suffered from chronic secondary insomnia for decades. It's very likely she has anxiety as well, which doesn't help with insomnia.

She recently had open-chest surgery to remove a tumor and needs some serious rest to recover as well as the energy to walk around, do physical therapy, and eat.

Currently:

- she only gets about 12 hours of sleep a *week*
    - she's too tired to do physical therapy, which further weakens her body
    - she doesn't have a good appetite, which again further weakens her body
    - for insomnia, she's tried teas, over the counter medication, and prescription medication like Ambien and Lunesta. Nothing works. The latter two just make her dizzy so she just lays in bed dizzy for hours without going to bed.

Every time I've ever smoked I've gone to sleep shortly after, even on sativas. Like everyone else, my appetite also increases. Considering that my mom and I share the same genetics I'm assuming that our bodies will process marijuana similarly - that is, we'll both go to sleep easily.

We live in Ohio where medical marijuana is illegal.

I've heard that CBD oil works? I've seen dosage recommendations varying from 15mg to 50mg....

What dosage do people recommend for insomnia and are there any good sources that will ship to us that anyone can recommend?

She doesn't like dizziness and the feeling of not being able to stand up without swaying, so smoking MJ is probably a very bad idea for her. I'm also worried that she would have a bad trip since she already has anxiety and lots of worries and negative thoughts.

2. While I do like CBD for insomnia I don't know what would beat some good THC edibles. There is literally nothing that I sleep more soundly after.

I would try to get a hold of some canna butter or oil from a grower and make your own cookies for bed time. Start with a 1/4 cookie and if that works go up to 1/2.

THC has amazing potential for helping people sleep. I think people are so excited about finding other medical reasons to use it that huge one is a little ignored. Anyone who's been a long time pothead knows that they sleep much more soundly after smoking weed and hardly even remember their dreams. That's the first thing you notice when you quite smoking weed. You can't sleep and you have very intense dreams.

I wish I could just give you some cookies. I always have them around. I can't even use all my material for edibles. My friends who don't like to smoke weed love the cookies. A little bit goes a long was for a non-smoker. Usually 1/2 cookie is too much.

3. I've heard hugely varying reports on CBD oil, especially ones derived from regular hemp. Some people say that it doesn't work at all for insomnia, so it's money completely wasted. I'm wondering if it's still worth a shot to order some on eBay and see what happens.

I *know for a fact* that smoking or consuming weed will put me to sleep, but being in Ohio I don't know where to get it and to guarantee the specific strain. I don't know anyone here and I've never bought drugs before, so I really don't know what to do :( Where's also the difficulty of getting my mom to smoke it as she's kind of a health freak and doesn't drink or smoke anything.

4. Sounds like a good reason to start a grow. Would she be down to start her own grow? Then you'll have all the material you need. THC edibles are the way to go for insomnia. I know people in cali that used to have problems with sleep and eat about 50mg's every night 2 hours or so before bed. Sleep like a baby.

Can you make trips to a legal state to get material to try? If it works start your own grow.

5. It works for some and not so much for others...CBD does nothing for me...Edibles same problem
    I too suffered w/ insomnia and pain for 10+ years..Indicas do just fine for both conditions. Been smoking since 1969 and there is nothing that puts me out like a good strong Indica! (I am 69yrs old)

6. Seeing as she also has appetite issues THC would also help with that. CBD is relaxing/calming but the tail end of a good THC edible is almost like sleeping pills sometimes.

7. This is excellent advice. Sativas also put me to sleep, but not for as long as indicas. THC promotes sleep much better than CBD or CBN. 4 or 5 of my friends and I sleep far worse on high CBD strains than on regular strains. Some people do sleep well on cbd, so it's certainly worth a try. This is a decent source: cwhemp.com. Hemp is also cannabis, and the cbd from hemp is chemically identically to that from MJ. If you can get your hands on a small amount of a sleepy indica strain, you can easily make a very potent firecracker type edible. MJ edibles are your best bet.

8. Thanks for the source on hemp oil. I'm a bit confused though - the website doesn't specifically mention CBD, just that it's hemp oil. Would their hemp oil work just as well as something that's labelled specifically as "CBD oil?"

9. I'm in Ohio. I'm not current on which states allow for recreational MJ, but the closest I'm assuming is Colorado, right? That's far.

Ehhhhh.... unfortunately growing's out of the question. For one, I'm never in Ohio, so they would have to grow it, dry it, and prepare it themselves. Secondly, when I broached the topic of trying MJ a couple of days ago, my mom became *furious* because she's under the impression it's a gateway drug and that it's as bad as heroin. She works in the medical field and says she sometimes gets patients who ask her for help to cure their child's marijuana addiction. My mom's originally from China (hasn't integrated into Western culture *at all*) and the government bans it and people really do think of it as being on the same level as opium or heroin. In fact, the Chinese word for "drugs" quite literally translates into "poison products."

10. Not looking good for recreational near you..
    Snap2.jpg

11. Medical was passed in Ohio in 2016.
    Ohio Medical Marijuana Control Program

Cannabis is used in Traditional Chinese Medicine. Maybe if you approach the topic in that respect she would be more open to it?
    https://news.therawfoodworld.com/cannabis-use-traditional-chinese-medicine/
    "Dr. Li Gou Yong, author of the Bencao Gangmu, or Compendium of Materia Medica, explains that in Chinese Traditional Medicine, marijuana is called Da Ma. Although the Chinese recognized the plant’s consciousness altering effects early on, they also took note of its potential therapeutic uses. In fact, marijuana quickly became one of the fifty fundamental herbs of Chinese medicine, which means it was added to an impressive number of recipes."

https://news.lift.co/cannabis-use-traditional-chinese-medicine/

"The application of cannabis to treat pain may go as far back as the 3rd century AD when the famous physician Hua Tuo was said to have developed an anesthetic formula known asma fei san or cannabis powder. However, this is speculative since the ingredients used in the ancient formula for ma fei san are lost. In another pain-related application, a physician in the Tang Dynasty (581-683 AD) reportedly used the juice from crushed cannabis leaves to treat excruciating pain from fractured bones. By 1070 AD, a text from the Song Dynasty entitled Illustrated Classic of Materia Medica references a preparation method for cannabis to treat severe pain. The recipe requires that the seeds of cannabis be soaked in water, then the sediment collected from the bottom of the water, stir-fried until aromatic in a silver vessel, and ground into a fine white powder; this is then boiled with alcohol and taken internally on an empty stomach. It is possible that this preparation would yield cannabinoids, as resin glands would sink in water and the heat from the stir-fry would decarboxylate THC acids into bioavailable THC, which can then be extracted when boiled with alcohol.

In applications relating to mental effects and mental illness, the authors of a 6th century text note the following: “take cannabis flower with ginseng and know of things that have not yet come.” A later redaction suggests this may be an overstatement and instead suggests that the combination of cannabis and ginseng allows one to “know the affairs of the four directions” and also treats forgetfulness. In a text from the 7th century, cannabis was said to treat wind-withdrawal, a traditional term relating to mental illness."

12. Guhhhhhhhh....

I guess I could take a road trip to Massachusetts? F*cking hell. It's only my dad and I taking care of my mom while she recovers and my dad needs to work and we don't want to leave her alone in the house in case something happens or she needs help with something, so I don't think this is possible.

Medical marijuana is legal in Ohio but she doesn't have any of the qualifying medical conditions. Anxiety and insomnia don't qualify. Even if she did qualify, the law is so new that there aren't any dispensaries.

13. Damn..Nevada legalized Medical in 2002..took about 10 yrs for dispensarys to open and laws to be written.

14. !!!!!

Ok, so waiting around for medical MJ in Ohio is probably out of the question. Holy crap. Wow.

15. And..... just learned that while recreational MJ is legal in Massachusetts, there are no recreational dispensaries. And in order to get a medical marijuana card you need to be a resident of Mass and have a Mass driver's license.

16. Sux I now..never thought I would see Recreational legalized here..Voted in last Nov and the 1st rec dispensarys will open in early July! The only answer I see for you is to grow your own..Very rewarding..ie: I spent over $1300 on y setup, seeds, etc...4 ladies in the Picture 3 wks into flower.. Should provide maybe 3 ozs dried per plant..Sooo..4 x3oz = 12oz dry + all the sugar leaves and Fan leaves (Fresh Fan leaves make for excellent weed smoothies..good for inflammation.and baking maybe). Dispensarys here get $200-$300 per oz for dank..Sooo. figure 12oz x say $200 (consertative) = $2400 not spent with dispensaries..Over 2x times my initial investment...ROI seems excellent and my local grow shop (over 15yrs growing) thinks my yield will be much more..Will be swimming in weed soon!! :)
    5-18-17.JPG
    5-18-17 cola.jpg

17. Maybe the deep web is an option?

18. Be VERY careful with the DEEP WEB..Crooks and Cops Galore!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. The dark web is a honey pot for both law enforcement and criminals. Find yourself a local grower and buy his clippings for a reasonable price the old school way. Face to face. Make your own canna coconut oil. It's easy. I find it bakes better and is more potent then butter but butter also works well. Use unsalted.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. hey mate. I also have chronic insomnia and often go 3-6 days with no sleep at all. CBN seems to be an insanely hard hitter. thc and dimenhydrinate (here in canada the brand name is gravol) 50 mg also seems to put me under. I also have Anxiety depression and panic disorder. be careful with strains and she will be okay. as for trying just pure cbd, you can get it in the states legally from companies like Charlotte's Web Hemp Extract Oil Dietary Supplement: CW™ Hemp. CBD will also help with the anxiety. As for CBN i have a threat going on how to degrade thc to cbd the fastest and most effectively. From what i can see also ohio has a medical marijuana program? Insomnia - CBN for insomnia treatment.
    Details on CBD and CBN as a sleep aid -> Steep Hill Labs | Global Leader in Cannabis Testing and Analytics

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1