Need help deciding between lights! - Place your votes!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Ender87i, Jun 19, 2009.

1. #1 Ender87i, Jun 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2009
    Hey guys,
    so heres the situation... For the past couple years ive only had one room to grow in, so i was growing from start to finish under the same lights.. HOWEVER, i just recently cleaned out the shed and im turning it into a VEG room! :D I have just about everything ready except for the lights... So heres what i need advice with:

I currently have (4) 1,000 watt "dual spectrum" lights in my current grow room, which will of course become my flower room. (for those of you who dont know what dual-spectrum is, it means the bulb emits both MH *AND* HPS.. In my case, the bulb is 600hps/400mh).. However, i need to buy a few more lights for the new room, but i cant decide what to get..

PLACE YOUR VOTES!
    Should i either:

(A) - Buy more Dual-Spectrum lights, and have dual spectrum in both rooms
    (VEG=DUAL , FLOWER=DUAL)

(B) - Buy MH for the Veg room, and keep Dual-Spectrum in the Flower room
    (VEG=MH , FLOWER=DUAL)

(C)
    - Buy HPS for the Veg room, and keep Dual-Spectrum in the Flower room
    (VEG=HPS , FLOWER=DUAL)

(D) - Move the Dual-Spectrums into the Veg room, and buy MH for the Flower room
    (VEG=DUAL , FLOWER=MH)

(E) - Move the Dual-Spectrums into the Veg room, and buy HPS for the Flower room.
    (VEG=DUAL , FLOWER=HPS)

What do you guys think i should do, and why?
    Suggestions and opinions are very much appreciated! :D

Thanks guys!

PS. For the record, if it matters, im growing 12 plants in each room, and both rooms are growing in an "ebb&gro" (fill/drain) hydroponic system, using the Lucas Formula (Flora Series) for nutrients... Thanks again everybody.

2. I voted for B, but would have also voted for E. MH for veg and HPS for flower is (IMHO) the best setup.... which would be either B or E. A would be a great choice, but those DUAL bulbs are not cheap. :eek:

I am envious of the choices that you have to make. :D

3. #3 Ender87i, Jun 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2009
    Haha it sounds like youre just as unsure as i am. Thanks for the reply WhobeBoo.
    Money isnt an issue though, so buying more dual-spec bulbs is no problem.
    But as far as doing MH for veg and HPS for flower, its not an option because i need to make use of the dual spectrum bulbs i already have - which means one of the rooms needs to be dual-spec.

Does anybody else have any suggestions or opinions?
    I could really use some advice!

:poke:

4. I think B is the best combo, thats what I would get if I could afford a few hids lol.

5. BUMP!

Can i get a few more opinions?

6. I went with E. Seems the MH aspect of the dual bulb would be best in the vegging stages, and a pure HPS has never done me wrong in flowering. Isn't the point to simulate the sun? What I've always believed (and I'm sure I'm quoting someone, just can't remember who), MH better simulates the blue skies of summer (hense better vegging), and HPS simulates the warmer yellow autumn season (blooming). Honestly, everything I just said can be b.s., but for some reason that is stuck in my head. Theoretically it's unsound, the sun is the sun, but instinctually it 'feels' right to me.

Please let us know (pm me if you start a grow journal), I wanted to try those bulbs, but didn't want to drop the money until I can observe what they actually do on cannabis. I'm very intrigued.

7. i would go with a shit ton of cfls in 6500 for veg and the setup you've got for flower. it'll save you a fuck load on electricity and set up and you'll have more light sources so it'll have better distribution. we do our gals' veg like this and are very happy with the results. but, if you're stuck on using hid for veg, i'd go with b or e . if ya go with a switchable ballast then you could try either on consecutive grows.

8. As far as simulating the sun, the way you explained it "sounds" like a perfect explaination - and it could be somewhat true - but the sun puts out a FULL spectrum of light, regardless of the season.. So in order to produce light that most closely simulates the sun, you would need a full spectrum of light... And since MH and HPS are completely different spectrums of light, the best way to simulate the sun is by using a DUAL-SPECTRUM bulb, which puts out BOTH of those spectrums, allowing for a fuller more complete spectrum of light, and a wider range of color temperatures on the kelvin(k) scale... Does that make sense?

As far as what color spectrum marijuana uses/needs most of during Veg, and during Flower, im not sure - and thats why i posted this thread... Ive heard that MH is better for Veg, and HPS is better for flower, and ive also heard its best to use HPS for both because HPS puts out more lumens.. But regardless of what color temperature marijuana needs/uses more of during veg or flower, using a Dual-Spectrum bulb will provide the plant with the missing color spectrums of light that it can utilize, which it wouldnt get using just MH or HPS by itself... Does that also make sense?

I truly dont know weather or not having a full spectrum would benefit the plant more than having "more" of the spectrum it uses more of during veg, or during flower, but i DO know that the plant will be able to utilize the extra colors provided in dual-spec that it wouldnt be able to utilize otherwise.

I invite everybody to give me your own personal opinions on this!

Put simply:

WHAT IS BEST FOR VEG? MH , HPS , OR DUAL SPECTRUM?

WHAT IS BEST FOR FLOWER? MH , HPS , OR DUAL SPECTRUM?

and why do you think that?

:hello: LETS SEE SOME REPLIES! ! ! :hello:

9. blue veg, red flower...
    i guess what i said in my last post works best with a group of wide rather than tall plants, but either way you'll have all the light in all the right places if you set it up well. if yer gonna veg for 2 months your plants will be plenty big with lots-o-cfls and you never have to use more light than you need at any given time. since blue is all that is needed during veg, just using 6500k will get you the most bang for your bucks.

10. Yeah, but money isnt an issue - so i dont need "bang for my buck".. I just want to get the absolute best, and using compact fluorescent CFL's certainly isnt the best.. Not only do HID lights (mh,hps,dual) put out FAR more lumens of light, but they also penetrate the canopy better, and provide the entire plant with light rather than just the top, seeing as how fluorescent lights give maximum lumens at less than 1-3 inches, which loses lumens drastially every inch after that. Using an HID light such as MH, HPS, or DUALSPEC would be the best thing to use, unless youre (A) on a budget, (B) growing in a closet or other small or hidden space, or (C) growing clones or keeping mothers alive...

So with all of that said, my question still remains...

What do you guys think is better for VEG? MH , HPS , or Dual-Spectrum?
    What do you guys think is better for FLOWER? MH , HPS , or Dual-Spectrum?

OPINIONS PLEASE! :hello: