Need help building/buying PC for Recording/Gaming

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Soccerguy420, Nov 21, 2011.

1. I don't know too much about computers besides surface level knowledge, but here's my goal.

Build (or buy) a PC that has quality graphics (I'm not a huge gamer, or one at all really, I just want the option to game so i don't need the most advanced card), a high quality sound card, a large amount of harddrive space, a fast but quiet processor, and enough ram to handle 12 24 bit tracks to mix and input music on.

I'm gonna be using pro tools and most likely will dual boot with linux for shits and giggles, but does anyone have any advice on what to look into?

I'm looking at this

Newegg.com - iBUYPOWER Gamer Extreme 560D3 Desktop PC Phenom II X6 1100T(3.3GHz) 8GB DDR3 1TB HDD Capacity NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 1GB Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

and

Newegg.com - HP Pavilion Elite h8-1039 (QU123AA#ABA) Desktop PC Phenom II X6 1065T(2.9GHz) 8GB DDR3 1TB HDD Capacity AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

I am leaning towards the second one because people said its quiet which is important for recording since the PC would be in the same room as the studio, but the stats on the first one are appealing.

Thanks for reading, and if you are willing to help it will be much appreciated :)

2. Get the first one, unless the room is very very small the mic won't pick any of that up. I've recorded with some shitty computers and I've never had any issues with the computer in the background.

GL :)

3. Bumping for halp

4. As an nvidia guy I'd go with number 1. Plus I'm not a huge fan of HP (mostly because of their laptops).
    As iSpark said, noise shouldn't be an issue.

5. Find a better one with the i5 2500k, it rapes the 1100t and costs the same.