Need all the help i can get

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by SoulJa of GanJa, Mar 18, 2004.

1. High, everybody this is my first thread too grasscity forums but i have been reading it for quite some time now mainly because i just recently gave birth to a seedling =)

My setup is behind my wall i live in the attic and as some of you may know there are slanted walls in an attic and then when it gets to a certain point they go straight and behind that straight wall there is space used for storage or w/e well that where i decided i wanted to grow since its very sneaky and you acctually have to crawl to get to it. Its about 4 ft. tall and 4 ft. and long as f*ck. I do realize that this is a small area but there is nothing I can do about it. I have a 75 w agro light in there, the agro light seemed most reasonable bulb to buy in home depot since it said plant light right on the box. I'm using miracle grow soil and i have fertilizer but i am waiting till the plant gets bigger for that. The plant its self has been in soil after germination for about 3 days and is already 3in. tall not too kool since i would rather have it grow bushy and midgity since its in a small place, is there any way i could force it to grow like that or at least small like bonzia lol like a small pot or anyhting like that? I was thinking of just letting it grow a while and then if anything tieing it down from its sides. The bulb does give off heat so it needs to be at least i would say 1.5 to 2 ft. away from the plant its self . I water the plant daily to keep the soil from drying out from the light although no signs of that. Since this is my first grow i reallly would like to KISS, no 400w hps's and flouros aint got the money the best i could do is buy another agro light and place one on each side of the plant.
    I appriciate any input from anybody. If you guys need any more info or anything just ask.

proud new member

2. show some pics.......... input enough for ya :D

3. unfortunantly i dont own a digital camera.. sry

4. High, everybody this is my first thread too grasscity forums but i have been reading it for quite some time now mainly because i just recently gave birth to a seedling =)

Congrats.

My setup is behind my wall i live in the attic and as some of you may know there are slanted walls in an attic and then when it gets to a certain point they go straight and behind that straight wall there is space used for storage or w/e well that where i decided i wanted to grow since its very sneaky and you acctually have to crawl to get to it. Its about 4 ft. tall and 4 ft. and long as f*ck.

Dude that height might be a problem. I'm a newbie as well and I'm trying to work out my height problem right now. Basically the problem is that with anything besides fluros you need your lamp a good distance away from your plants. (The more wattage your lamp has the higher your lamp has to be. More power = more height).

I wouldn't rule this space out but I would definately look into short plant that autoflower (hince my name shortyottomatix). Incase you haven't caught wind of the craze yet, go to orginalseeds.com and check out the joint doctor's "lowryder" strain.

I do realize that this is a small area but there is nothing I can do about it. I have a 75 w agro light in there, the agro light seemed most reasonable bulb to buy in home depot since it said plant light right on the box.

Cool beans, it's a start man. But definately go to e-conolight.com (if that's not the exact name just search for it, it will come up). They have hella cheap like idustrial style hps and mh lights. Also for more "real" grow lights check out insidesun.com, they have 1000 watt hps lights for 210 plus shipping. They also have some great deals on some systems with a refubished ballast....... Both sites are definately worth a few minutes of your time.

I'm using miracle grow soil and i have fertilizer but i am waiting till the plant gets bigger for that.

I've heard that the miracle grow soil is too acidic for pot. And I've also heard that it will nutrient burn your plants. Both these problems may be related in a cluster f*ck. It might be that the high ph locks out the nutes, and then when the ph finally lowers the plants get shocked all at one time with nutes, thus burning them up.

Fertilizer? What kind? If your using something from wal-mart or something like that, I've heard that the tomatoe ferts are about the best for pot. (Maybe pot and tomatoes aren't that different after all?)

The plant its self has been in soil after germination for about 3 days and is already 3in.

Yeah check that light height bud. It sounds like you plant is strecthing, that's a really bad thing. It will mess up the spacing of your plant and instead of bushy it will be tall and strecthed.

Tall not too kool since i would rather have it grow bushy and midgity since its in a small place, is there any way i could force it to grow like that or at least small like bonzia lol like a small pot or anyhting like that? I was thinking of just letting it grow a while and then if anything tieing it down from its sides.

Ok that didn't make much sense, but I think you're talking about wanting to grow your plant in a scrog (screen of green) method. Read up on that. Well, that and supercropping.

The bulb does give off heat so it needs to be at least i would say 1.5 to 2 ft. away from the plant its self . I water the plant daily to keep the soil from drying out from the light although no signs of that.

Ok, you're going to need to do some research here bud.

Since this is my first grow i reallly would like to KISS, no 400w hps's and flouros aint got the money the best i could do is buy another agro light and place one on each side of the plant.

Dude read up on some fluros man. They're cheap and it's fairly easy. Plus you might be suprised on how cheap you can get a decent set up for....... I just sank about a g into my first grow, but I did it with no fear b/c I know that I will keep making my money back with my harvest. And I will smoke for free. All I have to do is grow a lot, sell a little to cover my start up cost and my up keep stuff (new bulbs, nutes, etc), and I'm paying absolutley nothing to smoke. It's going to be wonderful. Growing is making money, or saving yourself money, not wasting it.

I appriciate any input from anybody. If you guys need any more info or anything just ask.

I want you to read this 3 times. Then us up with all your questions.
    http://www.geocities.com/quickgrowguide/

Overgrow.com (I believe it's the faq on this site you should check out..... Anyways, there's a lot of good info there.)
    proud new member [/QUOTE]

Welcome aboard.

5. shortyottomatix
    thnx for all the advise man unfortunantly i cant do anything bout the small size of my area but i did get 2 flouros and pop em in there. they are about an inch or less from the plant. i also took sheet metal and made a circle shape from it and put it around my plant and the light to maximize the light reflection. the fert is Schultz 10-15-10 Plant Food Plus Ultra pure Concentrate hope that worx. Also can i use the flouros and the agro light for the flowering stage ?? I also purchased a timer to take care of the timeing for the lights.

thnx

6. Sure you could use both lights. As long as the agro light is hurting (well burning) your plants, a little more light never hurt. That was preatty smart to bend some metal like that, sounds like you're well on your way. I wish you luck bro.

This might be of interest to you, it's about a micro-scrog grow. With low wattage and just a plant or two, this is the way to go. I'm probally going to have to end up scrogging myself because of my height restrictions.

http://www.overgrow.com/edge/showthread.php?t=18381&onlyuser=&perpage=15?pagenumber=1

7. Good luck with your grow, man. I too have some space constraints to work in, I'm trying my first grow in about 2.5" of height, compact fluoros (3 bulbs for 94w/6000 lumens). Scrog is for sure the way to go for this. Post updates now and then, we might all learn something :)

8. thnx guys
    the plant seems to be well on its way i have just recently transplanted it to a bigger pot from a yogurt container and it seems to be growing just the way i want it YAY its growing side to side within like 2 nights it grew 2 more big leaves makin a total of about 6 leaves with more little ones showing. It looks great it has like a strong green color to it BEAUTIFUL ! i also added a small 9v computer fan pointing at the plant hanging right above my metal construction... will try to get pictures =)

soulja

9. hi man same boat im in even tho my fellow grower shortyottomatix almost talked me out of it im still lenin towards this 1 breed called Low Ryder from originalseeds.com and the bigest it gets is 12 in. the owner of the store original seeds and i have been writing to each and other and he told me the smallest yeild they ever got with the LR was 4 grams n the biggest was 22grams so just thibnk about that 4 ur next grow

shorty i realy apprecitaed the help u have given me but i think im gonna try this 4 my first grow.

Hey soula of gonga jersey rules boy im a fellow new jersian

Peace out every1

10. if your watering everyday, cool it. If you want to see what watering too much does look at my journal confessions of an inpatient grower youll see exactly what it does and how less water makes for healthy plants. only water when the top 2 inches of soil are dry. stick your finger in the dirt and check 2 inches down if it feels moist your plant doesnt need water yet.
    also I think it wouldnt hurt to take this in to consideration: if youve ever dug a seedling up youd see that the main root formation is taller then the young seedling plant, so id go so far as to say if its moist the height of the seedling leave it for a day.
    If your like me and just feel better watering and secure and theres no way you want to water less, (cause i know you love to look at it, and be with your seedling) get a spray bottle and mist the surface soil. It makes me feel better too. just dont oversaturate.

Im assuming you want buds right? Is that all you have right now 1 seedling? Plant enough seeeds so you secure yourself a female for sure. wouldnt that suck to grow 1 male plant?
    I hear you have a 50/50 ratio so if you plant 6 you got a 50% chance of 3 females. Lots of variations with that though, strain, stress and what not. i have 4 in flower and i have a feelin theyll all be male or hermies because of stress, overwatering, nitrogen burn, lack of light, I could go on and on.... Please Soulga put a few more seeds in the ground and grow at least one female.

But johnny i have no more money. all you need is dirt and a container. Both free. Get dirt from somebody whos got a garden and compost and grows....... yes tomatos! their soil will be sufficient, seriously tomatos. and ol lady will give you a 5 gallon bucket of dirt no problem.... As far as a container. 3 gallon i believe would take you from birth to bud in your space.

Light......... Look on your light packages and all that you may buy in the future and remember "lumens" 1500 Lumens is the minimal per square foot or plant. lumens is a measurement of light. the more lumens the better. 3000 lumens is optimal per square foot or per plant. dont think youd get a monster giving 1 plant 8000 lumens theres only so much they can absorb. Watts dont mean as much as lumens ok. Lumens is the growing factor i believe.....are your fluros hot or cool, if there cool as in no heat they can be within 2 inches if there hot use your best judgement. be careful not to burn.
    lastly a certain proven grower on in this city has advised me not to fertilize seedlings untill 2 to 3 weeks after birth. Naughtydread says the plants will tell you when their hungry.

I cant wait to see what you got going..... Praise you as well for the circle of metal as a reflector. Very good.......