Need advice with yellowing plant groth

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by bearklaw, Oct 13, 2008.

1. I just started my very first grow and decided to go ewb and flow with rockwool 6 inche cubes...

I started with clones,3 hindu cush+shunk and 3 grand daddy purple...
    They are 2 weeks 2 days old and about 1 week ago,they started to get yellow on the new growth and contiue to do so no matter what i do...

I have flushed with plane water 2 times now and have cut back on my nutes to half, Botanicare liqued karma and pure blend pro...

I was also watering 2 times a day and now have cut back to everyother day once a day, The cubes never dry out so i took the plastic wrap off of the sides too dry faster... here are a couple pic's...hope you can see...

Thanks....

Attached Files:

2. I think it is magnesium deficient. Give tghem 1/4-1/2 tsp teaspoon of epsome salt per gallon of water. They also have heat stress. Thats why the leaf edges are folded over. Do you know the pH of the wool? Your ferts should have all nutrients in them.

3. I did the epson salt a couple of days a go... I dont know the ph of the cubes but i got my ph in my tank at 5.5.....

I will raise my light, Thanks

4. Check the run-off pH. What type of meter do you use to measure pH and is it callibrated properly?

5. o.k. I stuck my ph tester right up in the middle of the bottom of the rockwool and the ph is 6.5 and the temp is 61 to 63 ...

6. There is your problem; pH is off. It should be between 5.2-5.8.

7. Did you pre soak the R/W at 5.0 pH prior to planting?

R/W have a high base and need to be soaked for 24hrs in 5.o pH to aclimate them for hydro.

Are you using a cheap soil type probe meter?

8. #8 bearklaw, Oct 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2008
    How do i get that ph down in the rockwool? should i keep flushing with 5.5 ph water until it is down?....

Also is that temp ok....

9. I would,just dip them drain save and test over untill you get the desired pH,im very suprised the 5.5 pH solution you use didnt just adjust the R/W in a day or two?:confused:

10. I did not soak the rockwool, did not know i needed to...Damb noobee...

My ph meter is ok, paid a 100 dollars for it....

11. I am new at this and thought you only needed to check the ph 1 time, at the time you fill the tank, so my ph i am sure was way above that...

12. 68F. is what i use as it seems best,the lower the temps the better the DO concentrates in solution but at what point does this become a problem,idk.

It is very easy to add an aquarium heater if the res solution is too low(this is rare though as most struggle with too high solution temps).

pH in /pH out and(test runoff) make your decission on a number which would counter that and make it what you need next for your next watering/feeding.

When i use new soil i know it will drop my pre pHed water so i counter it by using 7.0-7.2 so my runoff is 6.3-6.7.You play with this and you will KNOW what they need every time also looking at the plants color. They do talk,if we listen and react we winn.:D

13. Thanks

I have a fishtank hearter in there right now. I think i will go dip my cubes right now, i have not waterded today and now is good as time as any...plus it is fun...
    thanks again

14. Meters are your lifeline till you can read plants,and testing plants solutions is done 1-2 time a day and need to be calibrated weekly for best results.

Some get lucky and never learn the curve and others use them and calibrate them and learn what and why it does what it does and when, and they will be better gardeners sooner than the just lucky ones for sure.

15. #15 bearklaw, Oct 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2008

To bad i had to learn the hard way about testing. I did not know about this forum until i used google. maybe it was a blessing, now i can read about everyones mistakes and learn form them....This is a great site and i appreciate the help...

thanks...