Need advice please! Indoor growing question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by spectrasoldier, Jul 7, 2012.

1. #1 spectrasoldier, Jul 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2012
    What's up grasscity community, I am an absolute beginner to growing and I just started germinating my first seed 3 days ago. I had a quick question that I was hoping one of you could answer...

I germinated my seed in a glass of distilled water in a dark place, after about a day the seed cracked and revealed the taproot/white stuff. So I went out and got some 1 inch rockwool cubes. I planted the seed into the rockwool after soaking it for 10 seconds in distilled water, taproot down. Later on I read that I should be placing the taproot up so I don't know if everything is turning out properly but it seems like it is.

Long story short, I place the rockwool cube in a ziplock bag with a 1 in opening on the top, and placed it in a dark place checking on it about 3 times a day. Everyday the seed has been making progress. And now the morning of day 3 the seed has sprouted about 3/4 inch out of the rockwool cube, but there is no leaves of any sort yet. I can see a little bit of green peaking out of the top of the sprout, where the hard casing of the seed has begun to detach.

Finally my question is at this point in the grow cycle should I keep the sprout in a dark place until I see actual leaves on the sprout? Or should I place it under my lights now?

I know rambled a bit, but help would be much appreciated!

update: here is a picture of it... http://i.imgur.com/4ZLBO.jpg

2. If its above ground I always place under the lights.

Usually a few hours later ill check in it and it will have opened up and tiny leaves can be seen. Also if your super gentle you can take the seed shell off

3. Okay thanks! My follow up question to that would be, won't my rockwool cube grow mold from being so moist if I were to put it under light? How would I prevent that?

4. Put it under a light as soon as you see green!

5. Would you consider this enough green? http://i.imgur.com/4ZLBO.jpg

6. that needs some light yes, and by green I meant as soon as it breached the soil/rockwoll in your case.
    It will start to stretch and look for light when it breaks through the medium.

7. Yeah that plant stretched get some light on it as soon as possible. If your using CFLs they should be 2-4 inches away from the top of the plant.

8. Alright will do, at the moment I havn't purchased my lights yet, but I will do so today, would it be a bad idea to put it in the window and start letting it get some sunlight?

9. sunlight is better then nothing, most newer windows have uv coatings that stop all the good stuff from getting to the plant so if you can open the window the better.
    get some lights asap :)

10. Later on I read that I should be placing the taproot up

That would have been an idiot speaking. Please disregard that information.

J

11. Thanks everyone for the quick and knowledgeable feedback...in the mean time here is my temporary setup I came up with until I get paid. If you think the light is not positioned far or close enough to the plant please let me know! Like I said I am absolute beginner...

http://i.imgur.com/yzRqm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3Nf7s.jpg

12. lol, i chuckled at how you have the light set up, but that looks good for now :)

13. Closer

It will eventually stretch so far that it won't be able to hold itself up.

However if you see that its getting burned or something move the light back up

14. #14 BYOweed, Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2012
    Yep this ^

Place your hand where the top of your plant is and hold your hand there for 15 seconds, if it becomes uncomfortably warm for you it's too hot for the seedling. Get a small fan and place it so wind blows on the plant and bulb. Wind helps the stem and branches strengthen and cools your setup

15. Alright so I took both of your guys' advice, I moved the lamp a little closer its about exactly 2in from the plant, and my hand feels no where close to uncomfortably warm when I put my hand above the plant like you said. I have placed an oscillating fan at medium speed about 2 feet from the plant, so that I can see the plant vibrating very solemnly whenever the wind blows on it. Should I have the fan blowing right on it the whole time or should I keep it oscillating or does it not really matter?

16. Don't over think this. Common sense will get you where you need to be.

Good luck,

J

17. My plant is starting to show small green leaves, and today I went to the store and got some FF Tiger Bloom in order to start feeding it some nutrients. I was wondering is TB too potent for a 4 day old seedling? Should I wait longer before I even give it any nutrients? Or can I just give it 1/2 strength or 1/4 strength doses when I feed it?

18. Don't give no nutes until 3 to 4 weeks in.....too little for nutes right now

19. And when u do start givin it nutes start at a 1/4 for the first few feedings and work ur way up slowly

20. Oh damn I already gave it nutes but not a lot, I put 1/4 dose in a gallon of distilled water, and took a turkey baster and watered it with that about half way full from the TB water. I havn't seen any negative effects from it, the plant still seems lively but I will make sure not to do again until 3-4 weeks like you said thanks for the info :)