Need advice on moving to Colorado...

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by frodo, Oct 25, 2015.

1. So I posted an ad on Craigslist asking to room with someone and a girl from Aurora Co responded.
    I'll be driving 15 hours from TN to stay with her for 3 months, then I'll need to get my own place. Rent is 400 per month.

I'm on disability and I get 812 per per month from SSI.

What bothers me is there is another chick who stays with her that brings guys over from time to time.
    I'm a guy btw. Should I be all to concerned about this?

This would be my first time rooming with someone from a different state.

2. Concerned about what? If you're uncomfortable with the living arrangement then find a different arrangement.
    "Beggars can't be choosers" and all that bullshit

3. This is not a situation specific to moving to Colorado. The answer to your question rests in how you would handle the same thing locally. If you wouldn't put up with it locally, why put up with it elsewhere? If you WOULD put up with it locally, then Colorado changes nothing.

You need to also look at whether you have proper resources available out there to deal with whatever it is that you receive your stipend for...not only do you you need to make sure the professionals are available, but also what costs may be. Other costs of living could be greater than wherever you live now as well...

4. Bang her from time to time. She won't need any more visitors.

5. Is there any way you could connect with them via Skype or something? It is much easier to get a feel for someone when you can see them and talk with them. Worst case scenario you have to wait out three months in a bad situation.

When it is time to get a place of your own, $400 per month will not go far anywhere near Denver.

6. Because someone is going to be bringing guys over and presumably going to pound town on occasion you're unsure you want to live there?

I doubt they're going to do the nasty in the living room or something. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

7. jay719 that's an excellent idea. Thanks!

Yeah I know 400 won't take me far, I haven't thought that far ahead. Maybe get a temp job or something so I can have some spare income.

8. No problem. I relocated to Southern Colorado from Knoxville last year. I ended up flying out here to secure a home I found on Craigslist then flew back to Tn. Drove out a week later. Not sure where you are in Tn but it was a 22 hour drive for us.

9. Memphis.
    Will I have to take a drug test in the state of Colorado to get a job?

10. If the job calls for it then, yes. Federal laws on marijuana use are still in force and most companies/corporations are headquartered elsewhere and follow federal guidelines. If you go to work for a weed shop then, no. :p

11. yea it is just like any other state as far as hiring. Most large companies still drug test, and having a medical card does not protect you.

12. I paid a little over $400 for an apartment in Aurora 6 years ago! My last apartment was a 2 bedroom in Edgewater and was going to go from $900 - $1100 at the end of my lease. I bought a house instead of dealing with rental rates going up and I now pay $930 a month in the 'ghetto'...

My point of all this is think this through. $800 a month might cover a studio or 1 bedroom apartment if youre lucky. It won't cover food, electricity, transportation and so on. You will need more than a temp job to make this work. I hope you do some digging and don't get in to a bad situation!

13. Honestly Southern Colorado would be more realistic for your budget than the Denver area. Your SSI check will go much further in Pueblo than Denver. I don't understand the fascination with Denver. To me it is just over priced and over crowded and isn't much different than any other major city.

14. I feel like you will need to Better plan this before you move. 3 months isn't long to get everything situated and ready for a new place. Hell most people get ready to move 3 months before their lease is up. Either way good luck