need advice on CFL, and Hydroponics.

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by hendrix2323, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Ok, I got my cover built, and stained today to enclose this cabinet I'm working with.  Don't feel like taking pics of them on atm, but they cover each of the 3 sections below, and can be taken on and off to access each section w/ alen keys (so nobody can accidentally open it up without some effort). 

[​IMG]

Each section will be it's own grow chamber, and I have plywood cut to size to have a board that goes up and down in each section which I'll attach lights to. My problem here is I have limited height to work with so am trying to really try to get the lights and hydroponics system as shallow as possible. 

My questions are:

1)  Does anybody have experience with a good way to affix the lights to the board to make it shallow as possible, and decent priced?  Initially I was planning to put them sideways to save space.  At Home Depot today I browsed the electrical section to get an idea of what the lighting system would cost me, I can't seem to think of a way to do it shallow and reasonably priced.  By the time I buy boxes, wire, sockets, bulbs, and plugs (optional), I costed it out $12 per bulb I want.  When you multiply that by 24-30 bulbs it starts to get to a price where CFL's aren't cheap any more.  And, they need to be flat too, can't be wasting valuable inches.  Is it possible to use regular tube florescent? 

2)  I need some kind of medium to grow the plants in, and it has to be as shallow as possible.  Don't really have a preference if it's organic, or hydro, whatever can be done thinner.  I can cut into the bottom to embed it down a little more, and grab an extra 5 inches of space.  I was thinking either a "Shallow Water Culture" or an ebb and flow with a ~5 inch deep flood table sitting directly on top of a ~5 inch deep reservoir, but am very open to suggestions. 

Thanks for any help. 

2. #2 hendrix2323, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2015
    Actually, perhaps it's cheaper to find some super cheap light fixtures on Kijiji, and then use those parts to make a light systems?

I found 5 of these flush-mount lights (2 bulbs per), for $20 for all 5.  Without the glass cover, and a little re-wiring I think something could be worked out.  Maybe?

[​IMG]

3. What's the measurements of each chamber? I'd go with high output t5 lamps.