Need advice on a CFL grow

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Chronic101, Apr 23, 2013.

1. I am about to start a small cfl grow and need some ideas. I am just starting the planning process. I know that I want to use cfl lights and I will build a small room in my basement for the grow. I would like to grow 2-4 plants. First question, what is a good strain that will grow well with cfl's and in a small space with decent yields of great quality buds? Second question, what is a good size room for a 4 plant grow? Any suggestions would be great. I would also like if I could find a strain that has a short flowering time.

2. Autoflowers would be good and at least 300w for four plants or 200w for two plants not to be confuzed with equivilent wats check actual wattage on cfl bulbs

3. Thanks for the info. Any recommendations on a good autoflower strain.

4. jack horror i heard is a good one theres others too try searching autoflower grow journals to read up and ask around most are very helpful just in readin alone

5. I've got 6 white widows under 400 watts of cfl in. 2x4x5 and there kicking ass! White widow, jack herer, and lowryder#2 are some kill autoflower strains.

6. CFLs can grow quality but If you want a more even light distribution go for a t5 bulb set.
    T5 bulbs and a scrog technique will get the best out of the space you have available.
    having 400W+ of cfls can be annoying trust me. You will need to organize them and maybe even build a fixture to support them evenly.
    I dont do autos so cant really comment on those.
    Which ever strain you pic should do just fine if trained correctly.

7. Bro go with white widow from ministry of cannabis. I've had my girl going for six weeks (veg) and she's a foot tall but extremely bushy, flowering is only 8-10 weeks and is pretty chronic stuff

8. I don't think that I want to do autoflower. So I am thinking a strain with low smell that does well in a smaller area.

9. they all have a stong odor

10. If your growing indoors, any strain you grow odor is going to be an issue. Get an inline fan and a carbon scrubber. I've got OG Sour Diesel flowering and no smell at all outside of room

11. Yea, I understand that, what I was looking for are some good strains people have had success in a similar setup up that are a lower odor strain. I know they all have a strong smell but I also know that they vary in intensity. I have heard good things about blue mystic being a good strain with lower odor

12. And I definitely plan on making a scrubber

13. Blue mystic from nirvana seeds is a low odor strain. And it's a nice low bushy plant.

Attached Files:

14. CFLs will grow any strain equally as well so I wouldn't worry about that. they will need some form of training to keep growing shoots very close to the bulbs 1"-2" is best but you really should keep them within 4".

northern lights is a low odour strain but whatever strain you go with you will need a carbon filter. and carbon filters are not all made equal, some are useless, and unfortunately price does not depict quality, so go with a well known trustee brand

as for the size of the box, well, that depends how big you want them. one of my CFL boxes is 4' high and I'm always fighting for height. built it as tall as you can so it gives your more options.

try to give yourself 100watts of CFL per square foot of area. but you can go as low as 60watts per square foot if you need to, however yield will be less per square foot. the amount of plants you put in there is almost irrelevant as long as you fill the canopy area and keep it all close to the lamps so little light is wasted.

I have a box of 1.5' (D) x 4' (W) x 4' (H) with 2x 125w CFL and I usually pull about 1.5oz per lamp

15. Thanks for the responses. Since writing this post I have decided that I can get a 600w hps/mh for pretty close to the same price as I would spend on making the cfl setup I was planning. So now I have to figure out how much ventilation I will need to keep a 4x4x6 room the right temp. I have 2 of the fans that they use in the DIY Stanley fan conversion. Think those will be sufficient? Has anyone had luck with a particular DIY carbon filter? And you said that all carbon isn't the same quality, do you have any brand suggestions?

16. #16 GoldGrower, Apr 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2013
    it may be worth starting a new thread if your not using cfls now due to the title...

I would buy a 6" systemair rvk fan with matching carbon filter for that setup.

here is the carbon filters I use... I get them from growell.co.uk they are the best I have used

[​IMG]

17. Ok thanks yea I am going to start another thread.

18. try northen light#5 heard its got really low odur bur still packs a punch :)