Need A Little Advice On Drainage In A Diy Pot

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Nenny, Aug 12, 2014.

1. My grow space is a little cabinet and as such it isnt large enough to for each plant comfortably in a large pot, as such i've decided to go for a container that would take up the entire space.

I found an old plastic drawer thats about 32 litres in volume and I wanted to turn it into a pot.

I was just wondering how many holes to make, how large they should be made and roughly how far should they be spaced? 

Also do I need to raise the container slightly off of the drainage tray?

2. #2 snoopdog6502, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2014

yes you want the pot sitting up off the drian tray so the roots dont shoot out looking for water.

3/8-1/2 inch holes every 6 inches is good.

3. Cheers man, thanks for the quick reply

Nice and to the point 

4. #4 MstDope_420, Aug 12, 2014
    Speaking of a pot .! My little ass 1 month and 2 week plant needs a bigger pot. Why ? I looked under the pot and it has two roots coming trhough the drainage holes. :/ smh and im trying to keep it as small as i can and getting a bigger pot will make it not fit in my micro grow spot. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407867720.197203.jpg

420_Grow

5. #5 snoopdog6502, Aug 12, 2014

If the pot sits in a wet spot roots start heading out. even when the plant does not need transplanting.

Put the pot on a rack or something to give air space under the pot.

6. #6 MstDope_420, Aug 12, 2014
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407868376.837267.jpg if you look at it closely the roots are coming out what can i do to make them stay in ? I was sittin on the mat for bout a week because the other pot that i had the bottom part broke wen i first got it. For this one i put a plastic container in the middle were there isnt any drainage holes. Is this okay ?

420_Grow

7. But now how can i get the roots to go back into the soil ? Instead of comin out n staying out ... 😑

420_Grow

ignore them till you are ready to transplant.

let it get dry before the transplant and then when its done water. Never do it wet.

9. You have to put on a really scary Halloween mask and get really close to the bottom part of the pot.
    Now this is the important part! You have to stick your tounge out at it and call it a stupid bitch!
    This worked on my Girl Scout Cookies. I swear it!