Need a good workout plan

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by jeeptoke, Dec 31, 2013.

1. My wife and I joined a gym last night since I get a really good diacount through my new job.

What's a good workout plan for a beginner to start out with? Havnt worked out in a gym in years since I was a first responser. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I dont do drugs, I set plants on fire and breathe.

2. I was having the same issue. I was going to the gym and just kind of taking it easy and going machine-to-machine without really doing sets and targeting a specific muscle group. I did this for nearly a year and when I saw minimal gains, I decided it was time for a change.

I went to a pretty well known site, bodybuilding.com, and they have workout programs. Most of them are pretty extreme mass gains programs for bodybuilding and that is not my goal, so I joined the "Steve Cook" one and I just go to his workouts and modify them a little bit and then do them at the gym. I've been doing it for about 2 weeks now and the difference is so much noticeable.

I'd recommend going on there and seeing if any of those programs work for you. Most of them also have a section for nutrition, but i just follow the workouts.

Good luck man

3. Google 'Rippetoes Starting Strength'

4. completely depends on your goals mate.
    list your goals and i might be able to help you out a bit.
    ive just started a new program, as in only on my second day. and i can tell its going to be brutal, bu thats a good thing.

the last one i done was 'daves VIF mass building routine' and i was really happy with it.
    if its just strength you're after, then i would go with stronglifts 5x5

5. I'm about 240 5'11. Looking to tone up and drop some weight. Scheduled to meet with a trainer this coming Monday. Worked out some last night at the gym and now I know I need to work on upper body strength cause it sucked.

6. The best advice I've ever heard when first starting to train was, "You can't out-work a bad diet."  Not to imply any of this on you, but there are so many people who complicate the simple lifestyle of exercising, eating well, and resting.  That's all anyone really needs to lose weight, put on muscle, or whatever else your fitness goals are.

As for a specific plan?  All I can say based on your goals is to focus on cardio and your diet first and foremost.  I prefer HIIT (High Intenisty Intrval Training).  Much more effective than hour long grueling jogs that seem to never end.  I'm at the track for 20 mins on cardio days and call it a day.

7. #7 jiafu, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
    Starting Strength.

Your PT will give you a lot of useless isolation exercises.

Compound exercises will yield better results because you are using a wide spectrum of muscles, which raises your metabolism.

Use a barbell, as it allows for heavier weight. Heavier weight will stress your body more, which in turn raises your metabolism more.

Focus on strength and speed. There's a reason olympic lifters are one of the most shredded athletes. Football players as well.

8. it would really be helpful if someone that has or is doing the 5x5 posted exactly what lifts they are doing...i hope i aint askin too much.

What machines are best to use for upper body strength.

9. -Overhead press
    -Squats
    -Bench
    -Deadlifts
    -Pullups/chinups
    -Powercleans
    -Dips