Need a fan to cool 2x 400w hps! HELP Plz!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by tonerboner, Feb 2, 2012.

1. I have a 3x5x5 area with 2 400w Hps for bloom. One is in a 7"x17"(rough estimate to get a idea in your head)4" flanges, and one is in a yield master 2 6in flanges. So far the yield master has reducers to 4" and have a value line fan attached(170cfm). As you can see its not cutting it, temps range with both on 91f/72f with one is 84f/70f so ive been thinking get a 6in and run it full speed or get a 8in and slow it down with a speed control(already own one).

What do you think i should do? Check out my Grow for vid on the room. With this Upgrade i will have 1 4in fan hooked up in each camber with carbon scrubber attached and lights will be cooled separately with a new fan.

Please help GC and thanks to all you peeps! stay High guys !:smoke::smoke::smoke:

2. Are you using your 170 cfm fan to do other things too?

If you'd simply just use that fan for venting the lights, I'd think you'd be fine. Of course, you'll need some sort of ventilation for the rest of your grow space.

I run a 550 cfm fan which pulls through my carbon filter, then pushes the air through the cool tube and out of my grow space. It works pretty well.

84 degrees is okay. 91 is a little high, but if it's only a peak thing for maybe an hour, I think it's fine.

Also, one thing you can do if you aren't, is run the 12/12 cycle from 8-8. Usually, the warmest part of the day isn't around noon, it's late afternoon that gets warm. If you run at night, your room temps can be dropped easier. This way you can just run the whole room a little cooler, and you'll see improvements. Running the room around 60-65 works for me, as my grow space never goes over 85 unless it's 65 in February again.

3. No, the 170 fan is cooling the lights separate from the room and i have 2 170 and right now the other is running two carbon scrubbers.

I dont think that high temp are ok, well for me atleast. Exact reason i need new fan, also i need to be able to run both lights. my lights run from veg 1pm-7am and flower from 7pm- 7am

I honestly think i need a fan just a matter of which one.

4. I don't think it'd hurt to upgrade that 170 fan. 170 isn't a whole lot when it comes down to that space.

5. well check this. Total space of 8x5x9 3x5 is flower Separated with a panda film wall and the rest is veg with space to walk around in. Right now i have 1 170 cfm tee'd off to two carbon scrubbers, and another one cooling lights. After i get the new fan it will be, bloom and veg get there own 4in 170 cfm fan with carbon scrubber attached. The new fan will be cooling the two lights and i have to have them cool. so i was thinking a valueline 435 cfm 6in fan, or maybe a 8in? that's basically what i need help with.

Will the 6 in be enough to cool both of my 400w hps.

But thats basically whats been going through my mind.

6. Shhhhhhooot! its not gunna hurt me as much as its gunna hurt my wallet:eek:

7. Run a A/C vent into your room, run the lights at night when it is cooler.

8. do you guys think a 350cfm will do it or should i get the 435cfm 30$ more?

9. please help!

10. the more cfm the better.

also the more cfm the LOUDER it gets

11. I need a vet with experience with a 350 cfm on 2x HID's or something i dont want to spend the extra thirty but i will if it will be better in the long run. Please help me GC!

12. You are "courting disaster" relying on one fan for multiple lamps.

If you have a failure, you end up taking out all the bulbs and possibly the ballasts.

You could wire in a safety however, but then everything would be off.

13. not understanding bro, i just dont have sufficient air flow with a 4" 170cfm. People dont run one fan per light, ive seen 6in cool 1x 400 1x 600 n 1x 1k but never two. Ive seen 10" + cooling multile 1k light but i need a perfect combo if you catch my drift.

14. I have a 6" vortex on my 1000 w hps. I use it in the summer. I dont need it in the winter. Try out a 6".

15. ended up buying the 6in and it got my temps down;both lights on, to about 84f. when it use to be 91f

16. Yea thats better hope your grow goes great man.

17. Its actually going fucking amazing, the four larrys's suffered some pH problems but back healthy and the next three plants in 3 gal pots andd looking phenomenal! ill have a update later tonight after the super bowl.

18. True lol im gonna be stuck on the tv too lol.

19. yup lets go Pats! :yay:Im a green bay fan :eek::devious:

20. So adding the bigger fan worked out in the long run for you bro?