Natural flea remedies

Discussion in 'Pets' started by PositiveAttitudeMachine, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Another point:

The directions I got with the stuff I got from the vet said to be sure to dispose of the vacuum bags cuz any eggs you suck up will hatch and re-infest your house.

2. Fossil shell flour works well too. If you have an infestation it may not work as well but with this you also can put it in their food and it helps clean out the digestive system and helps with worms. As well has humans can mix it in their food as well and have the same effects. My girlfriend bought like a 10 lb bag off amazon for like 12 bucks.

3. Bump.

Anyone still have flea issues?

Get living young, doterra or at the least expensive, aura cacia brand Essential Oils. Out a few drops of basil, cedar, and peppermint and spray it up in a half alcohol half distill water solution. Add some Apple Cider Vinegar.

Wash pets in shampoo with apple cider vinegar (3 cap full) and essential oil (10drops)

4. The only actual way to combat fleas is to target your lawn and soil..

Diatomaceous earth works great, however, it loses effectiveness when wet..

Remove feces and clumps of soggy mulch, as these are prime real estate for flea larvae.

Shampoo your dog after walks, and avoid grass.

5. Comfortis is a monthly pill you can only get from your vet. It is the only thing that kills the fleas our dogs get from my father-in-laws house. One of my boys is allergic to fleas, and breaks out horribly whenever he gets bit. The best thing about Comfortis is that it doesn't go on the skin, there is no danger of it getting on you, your furniture, or your hands when you pet your dog. I know it's not natural, but it's the quickest way to kill the fleas.
    For natural ways to repel fleas you can mix a spray bottle of water with natural extracts. Tea tree oil and lavender work well. A couple of drops of tea tree oil, a bit more lavender, and about 2 cups of water, mix up, and spray around your house. Also cedar repels them. Cedar dog beds, cedar mulch around where they go outside to keep from being reinfested.

6. I wouldn't give my dog a poison pill. It has detrimental effects on their immune & mental health. I do suggest essential oils such as lavender, rosemary, cedar, and peppermint, but not tea tree (it is toxic in certain amounts). I also suggest apple cider vinegar to clean - spray for dogs.

7. If you don't actually see the fleas, but suspect your pet has fleas, you can do the same test that the Vet or vet tech will do. It does work best using a flea comb, but vigorously scratching the area also works depending on the coat. Just because you don't see any adult fleas doesn't mean your pet is flea free. You're checking for flea "dirt" which are little pieces of your pet's dried blood.

Personally, if my pet was infested with adult fleas, I'd get a Capstar (you literally see the filthy, disease carrying little fuckers fall off dead in 30 minutes) from my vet, then shampoo.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR327d4z2Wo]How To Check Your Pet For Fleas - VetVid Episode 022 - YouTube[/ame]

8. Capstar is a poison, why would you want your baby to have chems in its body? Essential oils and apple cider vinegar works just as fine.

9. Because I've seen it work many times and vets use it on their own pets without hesitation. I'll ask a few of the vets I know that lean to the holistic side about your treatment. I'd be interested in their views.

I also give my dog a monthly heartworm preventative.