N00B here with a little problem.....

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Sound13, Aug 7, 2009.

1. I decided to try growing a couple of plants myself in a VERY simple set up.

They are planted in vermiculite under compact fluorescent bulbs and are almost 1 month old. They get 24 hour light right now for vegetative growth. I know that fluorescent is not great, but this is a tiny little project right now and if I ever decided to expand, I am very aware of the equipment needed.

I am using a 10-52-10 fertilizer that they get once a week. I also water them with water from my fish tank (was told it was beneficial). So far they have been doing amazing, but about 4 days ago, I noticed some yellowing on the bottom leaves. I have looked at all sorts of other grow sites and pictures of plants with deficiencies, but NOT ONE looks like my plant. I am really hoping someone can help me. I am wondering if part of it is a Mg deficiency, but there has to be something else wrong. Slight yellowing is now starting to appear in the middle of the top leaves.

Here is the one with the most leaves affected:
    My little plant picture by Sound13 - Photobucket

And here is what the top leaves are starting to do:
    Top leaves picture by Sound13 - Photobucket

Hopefully someone can help me out
    Thanks in advance!
    [​IMG]

2. Do you have a way to check your ph? to high or to low msy prevent your plant from beeing able to absorb Manganese.

Quote from Vitamin 420's nute guide in indoor forum:

"Manganese: Manganese is an example of a nutrient whose rate of absorption is based on soil pH, It helps activate certain enzymes that are essential to chlorophyll formation, so deficiency symptoms may include chlorosis between the veins on the leaves and a lack of growth capabilities."

your plant does look to have chlorosis between the veins. I suggest checking your ph and adjusting it if it is to high or low.

3. Ok.....so I believe my pH is too high and today I bought some soil acidifier.
    Hope it helps....
    Thanks
    Any other ideas welcolmed

4. I dunno about being planted in vermiculite, seems like it would hold too much water.

Either way I would chill on the ferts that high, that often. Thats a pretty high NPK. Feed every other watering, start with 1/4 strength and build up to see how the plant relaxes.

At this point i'd say you are overferting and you need to get your pH in check. Next time they need to be watered, I would flush them and not water again until the "soil" is dry.

5. Should I flush them with distilled water? Thanks a lot for your imput