N.y. Lawmaker Aims To Give Voting Rights To Illegal Immigrants

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tripace, Jun 17, 2014.

1. http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/06/16/us-usa-new-york-votingrights-idUSKBN0ER2KU20140616

Somehow, I'm not really surprised... but, wow, nonetheless

2. If you live somewhere for 3 years and pay your taxes accordingly the least they can do is give you the right to vote

No. If you enter a country illegally, the least they can do is deport you with no other punishment. The most they can do is imprison you, seize your assets, then deport you.

Allowing illegals to vote is ridiculous.

4. What a fucked up policy. I'm from a different country though, but still.

5. If you wanted to move to a different country, would you do so legally, or illegally? If you legally migrated, then yes, you deserve the right to vote, but not illegally.

6. Any other country would throw you out.

7. Good point.

The key point here is illegals are...illegal!

If you are here under a work visa, or are working toward citizenship though proper channels, it's a whole different thing.

But coming here illegally and expecting rights is insanity. Tell me of any other country that grants illegal immigrants voting rights.

9. Just saying, immigration is what.America was founded on.

Why are we playing all these games and hating on "illegals". It wwould be.much easier just to give citizenship to everyone who wants it
    Also there is not such thing as illegal immigration since the criminal gang known as the government has no legitimate claim.over the land.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. We are nicer to our "invaders" then any other country.

Try that shit in France, they will toss you ass on a jet back to the USA and then the US will take all your tax returns till you have payed back the deportation fee.

The bill is just a political ploy to gain votes.

11. is it possible to come here legally or do we just tell everyone no and illegally coming is their only option? (honest question)

of course it's possible to come to America legally. It's just there's lots of people who wouldn't make through the legal process that still want to live there.

And there are many legitimate reasons why you can't just let everyone who wants citizenship to have it.

What games? You mean laws? Why are we still requiring people to follow the law regarding how they immigrate to this country? I don't know, why does every other country on the Earth have laws that govern immigration?

14. So... if tax-paying "illegals" can't vote.... do the native americans get like... double votes?

15. It's completely ignorant calling them "tax-paying illegals". Part of the point of employers hiring them is that they don't file the federal paperwork because the worker isn't a citizen, therefore they don't pay taxes, they don't have to pay minimum wage either. They get paid under the table, cash.

16. #17 Sam_Spade, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2014

It's true that I'm ignorant when it comes to NY state taxes (or really any State taxes in the US), but I thought the point was that this isn't federal?

What of the clause where they have to prove they paid state taxes? It's in the article you posted.

17. what do I mean by games?

Well lets see. Giving illegals voting rites? Giving illegals healthcare? Deporting people? Building a giant wall.

Like.... why can we make things simple and make.it easier for people to get citizenship

These people are fleeing opression and poverty to come toto America. They are willing to work. Why make things complicated?

18. #19 walterbishop, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2014

You couldn't sound more naive if you tried.

Yes, our country is in such stellar shape right now. We have jobs, healthcare, and housing for every one!

Well except the 7-11% of existing Americans that are unemployed, and the 600-700 thousand homeless American citizens.

What we really need is a big influx of unskilled workers. That should help things out!

19. number of jobs is directly related to number of consumers.

The main reason there are no jobs is the cost of labor. Not the population.

Speaking of naive :lol:

Really. Why do you think there aren't jobs? It's not because there are too many people that's for sure.