Myth about thermal imaging?

Discussion in 'Security' started by paintballmyst, Mar 27, 2013.

1. If a friend of mine had, maybe 2 or 3 plants max (he only has room for 2 plants) in the attic inside of a grow box lined with mylar, could that be thermally detected?

He really likes smoking product that he knows where it came from, how it was grown, etc...

Thanks.

2. If he's only growing 2-3 plants I wouldn't even worry about thermal scans, not worth popo's time taking down a 2 plant grow op. And for the amount of heat that would be given off I don't think it would sound any alarms... Mylar should do the trick though if he's getting the expensive stuff that blocks 75% of infrared or whatever.

3. Well we are both in Texas, and next to Oklahoma we have the strictest laws.

Cops in our area are generally busy, being that we live in a good part of town... most are towards the bad area which in texas can be 50 ft away or miles... for us its a really high hispanic population about 3 miles away and tends to have a lot of patrol near it due to gangs.

As for smell I want to use carbon filters, and I will fill the house with orange scented things from the store.

I also have permission from landlord to grow strawberries and "tomatoes". (I love strawberries though.

4. "Kyllo v. United States, 533 U.S. 27 (2001), held that the use of a thermal imaging device from a public vantage point to monitor the radiation of heat from a person's home was a "search" within the meaning of the Fourth Amendment, and thus required a warrant. Because the police in this case did not have a warrant, the Court reversed Kyllo's conviction for growing marijuana."

Kyllo v. United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So basically the police need to have probable cause to obtain a warrant to image your personal residence. A commercial address may be completely different. Anyways, if they have reason to get a warrant you have issues already.

5. TI cameras are usually obtained by the fire department...police dont want to blow their budget on something they would hardly use....furthermore...cops dont drive around with the thermal imaging devices hitting up houses...no time...boring and really?? cops just have to wait...ppl screw up and easily arrested on their own....no special cameras or tips from the electric company needed...in closing...allow common sense to prevail..like ol'boy said...2 plants... not worth a thermal cameras time.