Myth? -- A day of darkness before harvest

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by JrBaconChzBurgr, Oct 28, 2010.

1. So, I had read somewhere that a grower liked to leave his plants in the dark for approximately 24 hours, just before he harvests. Reason being, he said he thinks it increases the frostiness. He didn't give a guarantee on it, so I was just curious: If a plant was just about ready to harvest, would it do any good to leave it in the dark for a 24 hour period? Or would that just kind of help it die a little?

Haha.. thanks to anyone who may know anything about this. I can't seem to find much on it now.

2. 24 hours wouldn't be enough to do much of anything, but 48-96 hours is believed by many to improve the harvest. The theory is that the plant (which we know reacts to photoperiods), senses the extended dark as a signal that the viable growing season is at end and therefore it is about to die. It then channels even more energy to bud production, even at the expense of sustaining its own life, as a last-gasp effort to procreate before death.

3. Would give you rep... But wouldn't do anything. haha

4. Good piece of advice here! Thanks for sharing it toasty!

:hello:

5. Awesome! Thanks a lot for the input here. :smoke:
    I need to start posting here more.