Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

mysterious oil in bowl/bong

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by chipotle69, Feb 3, 2010.

1. ok so i recently made myself a new aluminum bowl for my homemade bong (and no im not afraid of the Alzheimer's myth) and the first time i used it a sort of oil creeped down the bowl into the water. The smoke then filtered thru this water and oil and the smoke itself was very different than a regular hit. it is heavier and more dense and moreover gave a more intense high... my question is if smoking with this resiny oil a good thing or should i make a new bowl?

2. Look, are you really that stupid to bother posting about your "aluminum bowl"? Honestly, if any oil comes from anything then it's a heat reaction to the metal and it's giving off residue/ chems.

3. I think i know what your talking about, have you cleaned your home made bong recently? Ever?

4. It's not a myth...but you can do what you want with your own mind...while you have it...:(

5. ok aluminum is used by nasa on space shuttles and can withstand reentering earths atmosphere, i think it can handle a Bic. the melting point of aluminum oxide is about 2000 Celsius, a butane flame is about 1500 Celsius. And yes i use new water every time i smoke out of it

6. and ive used aluminum bowls for a while and have never had this oil come off so it cant be from the aluminum itself

7. maybe the paint on the can was melting? maybe plastic or glue if you used those. Or it could've been tar if you used that bowl alot. Hope that helps

8. Just because it handles heat doesn't mean it doesn't give off dangerous chemicals when heated..

9. only the bowl comes in contact with the flame and the stem doesnt get hot enough to melt the plastic, and even if it was molten plastic i would know cuz it would look like fucking plastic in the water and the smoke would taste really bad. And its a new bowl, made it monday.

10. ok so according to the Boltzmann curve (if ur a fellow chem nerd), some aluminum particles will come off but not enough to give any damage let alone produce a substantial amount of oil and also react with the smoke...

and also we use aluminum for cooking yet we dont worry about dangerous chemicals getting into our food

11. Yeah bro, keep being Mr.MachoMan about smoking a POISONOUS metal and we'll see how scared you are when you start to see the repercussions of your idiocy.

12. ok dude, keep baking your food in the same poisonous metal and we'll see how scared you are when you start to see the repercussions of your idiocy.

13. hah, never even thought that i use an aluminum pan to cook shit

14. #14 TJJ, Feb 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2010
    you do know there are several different types of aluminum right? That the type used by NASA is different then the one you have for your bowl.. That also NASA is not using the aluminum on space shuttles to smoke weed... And that also aluminum is going to release fumes before it reaches its melting point. But that being said alluminum is not going to cause problems if used in moderation but if your constantly smoking out of it then that will increase your risks..

15. #15 WTFun, Feb 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2010
    Oh boy looks like I have to derail another one. First of all, please let me know when you start cooking things in aluminum pans at 3590.6F, which is the max temperature at which a standard lighter burns. Secondly, you are inhaling the aluminum as it is being heated at an extremely hot temperature which puts quickly moving vapors that have escaped the metal due to the heat being inflicted on it. When you cook/bake, you will rarely heat your oven over 450F, not nearly energetic enough to melt or vaporize the aluminum into a consumable form. Not to mention that you don't put your face in the oven and inhale it while baking a cake. Sorry to embarrass you.

16. Owned :hello:

17. alright well im still going to use aluminum even its going to fuck me over in the long run... anyways its not the issue at hand, i want to know what the oil is.

18. and lighter flame is 1500 degrees like i said before, not over 3000 degrees

19. whoops didnt read that you said it in farenheit

20. furthermore, (sorry for the disjointed posts but its a habit) aluminum foil does not give off any smoke if heated up by a lighter. try it and tell me if you see any smoke coming off cuz im not getting anything