My Very First Grow (up in a tree)

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by Ayebaw, Feb 8, 2009.

1. as if mate in a tree w3hat a GREAT IDEA (for someone who lives in hawaii) cool! hope it all goes well... hope no birds av a peck at it huh?

good luck:smoking:

2. Thanks everyone, and nah, the birds should leave them alone (I hope)... I got three seeds germinating and two more on the way, and I see noticable growth every time I go up to check on the one that's in the tree (twice a day so far, once I get it good and going it'll probably be once every other day or so). This is already by far the best grow I've done (which really says a lot about my past attempts >_<).

3. #43 Klutter, Feb 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2009
    This is an absolutely kick ass idea bro...

So I'm sittin' here, puffin on a bowl and just marveling at your creativity...then it hit me - I think this would work and save you some serious hassle, though I haven't completed the idea all the way through yet.

A dripper of sorts!

First - hit the local hardware store and pick up a shitload of 3/4 funny pipe - for sprinkler systems. Some cable tacks (look like a U for securing cables) to hold the pipe to the tree. Decent water pump - OR a manual water pump that can be attached to the 3/4 pipe.

Basic idea is to tack the black pipe against the tree, elbow it over to the buckets, T off for each bucket, secure a pipe to each, use a dripper end to stick in the soil.... when they need water ya simply hook up the pump (need a way to supply electricity) or use the manual pump (more likely) to push the water up to the buckets.

This would eliminate the need for any pully system or even ya having to climb the tree every few days....

If ya wanted to get totally crazy you could also bury a 50gal drum, fill it with water and then close 'er up....would give ya quite a few waterings without having to fuck with carrying buckets around all the time. Though digging the hole would suck... shrug, just think'n outta the box on ways to make the day-to-day grind easier. Fuckin' sweet grow man...

4. Thanks man, it is a great idea. I do, however, like climbing the tree >_> and visiting the plants :). Also, I should be up there every couple of days anyways, to make sure they haven't been stolen (doubtful), damaged (possible, sometimes is windy), or eaten (my biggest concern), especially in their young days of life.

5. I like your set-up, what a great idea. At least while you're babysitting them you'll be getting some great exercise too. Good luck!

6. Lol, lemme guess, a handfull of your good friends know about it?

As far as an auto waterer, id skip out the electricity thing and just do it kinda like he said but put a resivoir, up in the tree a little above the plant, and have one of those things (whatre they called, those little things that CB and Oldpork used in their articles), to time how much it waters. Then just do that. But for now its not like it really needs that -_-, you can have your waterbottle do just fine. But say if it got nice and big and needed frequent waterings.

7. Yeah, the excersise is really good. Just wish the sap would dry so I don't get sticky every time I climb! Now I have an extra pair of pants and long sleeves and gloves I wear only for that purpose.

No, I don't have a lot of friends, and only one knows about it. The only people who know is one good friend, my dad, and my step mom, and they only know I'm growing in a tree, they have no idea where it is (and all are too old to climb it anyways). I regret telling my friend, but what's done is done, and I'm fairly certain I can trust him. If not... well, he is open to many angles of revenge, but I really REALLY hope it never comes to that.

Yeah, once my other seeds germinate and I start getting decent sized plants in my 5 pots I may have to rethink watering, but I got it down with just waterbottles and a 5 gallon bucket I can fill and take (so I don't gotta keep refiling water bottles haha) for at least a good month.

8. Actually, I've decided to tell my friend they've all died (he'll believe it, it's happened to me before). When it comes to harvest, I'll share it with him and we'll have fun, but until then I'd best be paranoid as possible.

9. Great idea, especially if he is gullible enough to believe it. I have a friend who knows that I'm growing outdoors, he has no idea where or when, the only reason he knows anything is because he's my shipping address for my seeds and nutes :D:p

10. It's not really that he's gullible, it's just that he's seen me try to raise these plants before and only kill em', so it'll be nothing new for him.

11. so youre in hawaii huh? currently your sunrise/sunset hours are 11.5 this means that when your plants get to about 6 inches they will start flowering. if you're lucky, they will re-veg and you will have a harvest in september, rather than april.

12. #52 champloo, Feb 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2009
    lol, thats what i told my friend when i had one in my room. He lived across the street but it was really annoying him coming over allll the time fuckin with it and shit, and i didnt feel comfortable that he knew about it anyway. So i told him it died and hid it in the closet every time he came over. :p. But then when it was about 2 ft my little brother killed it and i had it hanging on my wall and he came over and seen it on the wall. He didnt put together that it was THAT plant though, especially since i told him i had just started that one new a while ago.

Lol but for the most part your dad is a legit person. Its different with family (If you can trust them, which you should be able to). My dads my partner for this upcoming season :D. Hes experienced growing indoors and outdoors from back in the day. He tells me a story about a 13 footer at my aunts house that rippers came for but couldnt take it due to the fact it was like a tree, but they did strip the buds lol.

Lol, just grow some mini guys for now and if they die and you cant reveg after harvest, just grow some more.

Also, check into some auto flowering strains bro. They sound ideal for your situation, and would be perfect in a tree :p.

13. #53 Ayebaw, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2009
    It was stolen. I will try again. I will keep you updated.

14. Are you serious? Wtf man. Who did it?

15. I am serious. I don't know. I will try again. Not in the same spot.

16. it must not have been a very good spot if someone climbed up a tree and stole it. either way, it was too early to start. do it again in april.

17. I have two seeds that germinated, and five more germinating, so no point waiting now. I plant first thing tomorrow.

18. Damn thats bullshit.... Musta been that friend of yours :p.

Got any other property? Looks like you got a lot from the pictures provided.

19. Who the hell would be so retarded to steal 2 or 3 baby sprouts (no offense lol!)? Were those bagseeds hopefully? That's too bad. I hope your season is long enough and that you'll make up for this. Seriously, stick to the ground and bring soil/water/fert at night. And, tell no one. You need to scout some more and really find the good spot(s) imo. Apparently, several people knew about this and didn't want you to finish your op. At least they were "kind" enough to steal them very early. :rolleyes: But think of what it feels after 4-5 months of hard work and the buds almost ripe... Choose well and TELL NO ONE!!!

20. I have two acres, and I doubt it's my friend, unless he had a younger friend who could climb such a tree. He's 54, and short.

I already have another place in mind. A better tree, taller tree, that's farther from other people but closer to the house. It'll be a bitch for even me (I'm about 6' and pretty fit) to climb, but if I can get up there, it's almost assured it cannot be stolen, and no one will know where I'm growing either.

Either way, it's getting late tonight (volenteering tomorrow), so I'll update y'all in the morning.