my thoughts on legalization

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Weed_Monster, Mar 10, 2009.

1. im very glad that marijuana has been decriminalized in some states, and that a new bill has been proposed in california. its a great step towards legalization, but i think we need to be very very careful with what we do next. from what i've heard, this new california bill proposes that marijuana should be legal and sold with a 10% tax at medical facilities, but im not quite sure what it says about distribution. i personally think that distribution should only be legal on a small scale, if not completely illegal. this is because if distribution is completely legal, tobacco companies are going to get a hold of our weed and mix in all sorts of nasty chemicals completely ruining the natural herb. i very much fear that one day, when im an old man, i'll be telling stories to my grandkids about how weed used to be clean and non-addictive, instead of them having clean weed themselves. if distribution is legal only on a small scale, all of us good dealers will still be able to cultivate and sell what we love.
    what do you think?

2. What you want to do is limit the size of grows allowed, you don't want to limit distibution. If we keep it like the way California's medical marijuana industry is, with licensed growers selling small crops to the dispensaries and profiting off their work you will see more people being able to make a career out of growing. Growing isn't for everybody, so it's not like TOO many people would grow. It'd be a billion dollar industry with the people reaping the rewards by selling their crops to the local open market.

3. Capitalism will prevent this from happening. Simple as that.

4. #4 Dante Blaze, Mar 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2009

I think we'll see both. I'm not trusting no tobacco company with my reefers unless they make a certified organic product.

[​IMG]

5. Nah, it'll be just like beer. Liquor stores have the mass made shit like Budweiser, Millers, and Coors but they also have tens if not hundreds of other smaller independent brewery beers. So when you finally go into a cannabis store, you'll have the option of buying the cheap shitty Marlboros or the little more expensive high quality independently grown buds from the small name company.

6. lol I don't know why you assume cigarette companies would be putting out inferior products.

7. I wonder. . . .

8. I am for 100% full legalization, but I do not want anyone to grow their own. I mean when alcohol prohibition ended, things went back to normal, but can you imagine if people continued to make moonshine from their own home and continued to distribute it inspite of controlled distribution? Alcohol prohibitionists would have been given a nice little crutch to make it illegal once more. I sure don't want that for cannabis. Let it be legal and sold in a good safe and controlled manner so people can buy it and get it whenever they want, but if people keep growing it for their own selfish reasons then they fuck it up for everyone.

9. It's still legal to brew your own beer. Many people brew their own beer, and there are still some who make moonshine.

Growing it for their own selfish reasons? How is wanting to grow your own "selfish?"

What if someone likes the process of growing their own?

Once it's legalized, I don't see it going back.

10. Are you kidding me? Growing is a past time. It's a hobby. Why would you ever say something like "I do not want anyone to grow their own". Mind your own busy, if your lazy ass doesn't want to grow then don't grow, but don't advocate stupidity.

11. sorry had to comment on this one too...

wouldn't "full legalization" mean it was a fully legal plant like the ones you find in the garden section at walmart?

we have all the genetics anyway.. if the big corporations wanna play ball they gotta talk to us! haha

but alice im surprised you have 1000+ posts on here, you just dont sound like a grower

12. many people brew their own beer, and I know people who make moonshine. what i was saying was that if tobacco companies start selling it, it will no longer be safe. i feel perfectly fine buying my shit from people who grow their own, but i dont think i'd ever buy from a cigarette company. Also, people love to grow, they put passion into it, and nobody is going to waste money putting extra chemicals and shit into their weed.

13. Plus principles of the open market will just about cause nearly all bud to be organic. True cannabis connoisseurs prefer organic herb because it makes for better quality bud.

14. yea why would we wanna give the big corporations who already own entirely too much more of our money??

15. Heres a little lesson in capitalism. Those people that still do want to grow will and the bigger "grow corporations" will happen over time as different brands of weed start appearing. The brands that get more hype and more people buying will in turn grow larger. That's the beauty of capitalism. The best product is usually the one in the end that apepars in shelves at our stores.

16. #16 alicedee07, Mar 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2009

Of course but to distribute it you need a license. Therefore if anyone wants to distribute whatever pot they grow for themselves they should need a license. Distributing alcohol without a license is illegal, so all the same rules should apply for legalizing marijuana.

17. That's agreeable. As long as it's easily obtainable.

18. I think that it should be 100% legalized, and the cultivation, and distribution should be regulated very similarly to alcohol. I agree that the quality of the weed will probably go down with the mass production by large corporations and such, but just like someone else said, there are tons of micro-breweries around, and I'm sure that there still will if weed is legalized. I don't think personal growing should be prohibited either. They should just control it by requiring a license to distribute more than a certain amount. Anything below that amount, you could grow yourself and sell to friends and stuff. I don't think the overall quality of the bud will be affected though. I'm sure there will be tons of coffee shops and small shops open up all over the place that will be full of the good shit. I think alot of the regulations we have on alcohol, would work well with weed too. Like a 21 age limit, and limits on where it can be consumed and sold and so on.

19. Hobby growing is not something to be forgotten that's all im saying.

20. I pretty much agree with those that have said that with legalization MJ will be produced, consumed and regulated. very much the same as alcohol & tobacco. When the environment of prohibition goes away the wholesale prices will drop significantly but taxes will be added. Currently (depending on location) 40-60% of the cost of a bottle of booze is taxes.

Available quality will likely vary just like beer. I can buy Hamms or I can buy Bass. Or perhaps a local craft brew. Or a Trappist Ale. Or maybe I'll brew my own.

General availability. If you are 21 then it will be easier to get bud. If you are under 21 then it will be more difficult than it is now.

When legalized, those that produce will be as varied as beer brewers are now. We have a small micro-brewery down the road that produces some very fine brews. On the other end of the spectrum we have Butwiper (sp?) that is a cheap mass produce product. I have the choice as to what I buy.