My Theory

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by weedski, Dec 10, 2009.

1. #1 weedski, Dec 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2009
    Recently I've been thinking about life, death and other spiritual topics, trying to think of something that can help explain my life. The theory I have accepted is an adaptation of a number of theories and principles, starting from basic philosophical questions and finishing somewhere between quantum mechanics and multiverse theory.

Here are a few thoughts that have contributed:

"Why do I happen to be a human male, born in the location of my birth in that specific year?"

I also thought about how different I could be if I were to have a different upbringing in a different place; even with the same genes. I realised that I could be genetically identical, yet entirely different.

-I realised that no matter what, the universe revolves around me.-
    ^ This was the first thought that made me really think. Although it sounds selfish, it can't be helped. As far as I'm concerned, everything that exists is seen through my eyes, heard through my ears touched/interacted with my body. This is my universe.

To you, it is different. In fact, in your world, the universe revolves around you. You see with your eyes, and hear with your ears. This is your universe, and this is my universe.
    (We'll go back to this point shortly)

In what appeared to be a completely different topic, I somehow winded up reading about quantum suicide. Here is a brief excerpt from wikipedia.

"If the many-worlds interpretation is correct then at each run of the experiment, the experimenter will be split into one world in which he survives and another world in which he dies. In the worlds where the experimenter dies, he will cease to be a conscious entity. However, from the point of view of the non-dead copies of the experimenter, the experiment will continue running without his ceasing to exist, because at each branch, he will only be able to observe the result in the world in which he survives, and if many-worlds is correct, the surviving copies of the experimenter will notice that he never seems to die, therefore "proving" himself to be invulnerable to the gun mechanism in question, from his own point of view." - Quantum suicide and immortality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For example, if I were to say "GC, I am going to put one live bullet into a six shooter revolver. I will spin the chamber, put the gun to my head and pull the trigger. After each pull, I will post on GC, to show that I survived until I only have one go left, which will have to be the one with the bullet. I have drawn a diagram to help you understand.

Untitled-1.gif

This outlines all the possible outcomes from me doing this test. If quantum invincibility exists, my universe will display result 1. I will pull the trigger 5 times, post after each one and then gloat about my luck on GC, becuase as a conscious entity I "will only be able to observe the result in the world in which survive" However, in your universe, you could witness results 1 - 6. You could see my gloating or I could go quiet after the second pull.
    This theory would be impossible to prove to you, however, becuase to some of you I would blow my face off and to others I would survive until the end. But I would be able to prove it to myself. (Don't worry I'm not suicidal)

OK, so for this to exist, there must be a multiverse or we must use a 'many-worlds' interpretation of quantum mechanics.

The one thing then, that connects all these concepts together is the idea of consciousness. In summary, I beleive that we each exist in our own universes. Yet the actions taken in one universe has the ability to affect another universe. The parallel universe theory suggests that there are a (perhaps infinate) number of similar (and not so similar) universes all differing slightly (some only by the position of one atom). My theory is, that we are all one. We all share one consciousness, yet genes, upbringing and interaction with surrounding universes can change the outcome of each one.

In other words, reincarnation is possible, quantum suicide is possible, even worlds where ghosts and spirits exist are possible. We can all exist in differing universes.

I apologise if this made little sense, but you must all know just how difficult it is to put thoughts like this into understandable writing. Especially when your preety damn stoned :smoking:

EDIT: Sorry guys this made more sense in my head. And it's making less sense every time I read it. :( lol