My Speech on Why Cannabis Should be Legalised

Discussion in 'General' started by PilkyHigh, Oct 10, 2010.

1. We're doing speeches in my English class at the moment, and of course I chose to do mine on why cannabis should be legalised :D We're not allowed to have it any longer than 6 minutes, so I had to cut out quite a bit of information. Nevertheless, this is the finished product and I just thought I'd share it with you guys. Feedback would be much appreciated. Oh by the way, a couple of things in it related to my class such as 'Jasper' (A pot-smoking character in the film 'Children of Men' which we studied) and Mr Miller (A coffee-addicted teacher at our school). Enjoy.

Why Cannabis Should be Legalised.

Barack Obama, Arnold Swarzenggar, the founders of CNN and Apple, Brad Pitt, Megan Fox, Michael Phelps, almost every musician and even our dear friend Jasper all have something very interesting in common. Have you guessed it yet? It’s one of the safest substances known to man, it has more medical benefits than anything else, it’s a plant and more than 500 Million people have used it. That’s right, Cannabis. And yet it’s illegal. Now I could quite comfortably assume that the majority of you would hold the opinion that it shouldn’t be legalised, but let me remind you, opinion is irrelevant when you’re not informed enough to have one. So that’s what I’m here to try and do today – to inform you.

So let’s take a look at why it was made illegal in the first place. Before 1937 cannabis was perfectly legal and up until 1883 it was the world’s largest agricultural crop. In fact, the first law on cannabis was ordering US farmers to grow hemp, the most efficient, durable fibre on the planet. Hemp is 100% bio-degradable and is more effective than anything else for making paper, rope, bio-fuel, and cloth, as well as an estimated 30,000 other products. The pharmaceutical, paper and cotton industries caught on to how beneficial hemp is, and more importantly for them, how much of a threat it would be.

In order to eliminate competition, publishing tycoon Randolf Hearst initiated a propaganda campaign against cannabis. Hearst suggested that it was negroes and Hispanics who were smoking it, and would go around raping white women. He also said that after one joint you’re likely to kill your brother, among other ridiculous claims. Back then, people were more racist and impressionable, and so accepted such statements as truth. Soon after, the ‘Marijuana Tax Act’ was passed in the US, making cannabis illegal. The rest of the world quickly followed America’s lead, launching a crusade of lies that have been fed to children ever since. This is also known as childhood indoctrination.

So how much of what we’re taught, or fed, really is true? Firstly, the notion that smoking cannabis kills brain cells. This came from a study where monkeys had cannabis smoke pumped into their lungs. While it was found that the monkeys suffered brain cell loss, what they didn’t tell you was that this was a result of a lack of oxygen to their brains. The monkeys were essentially suffocated from the smoke. In fact, a recent study conducted on mice at a Canadian university found a 40% INCREASE in brain cell growth when given cannabis.

And addiction. We’re often brought up to believe that cannabis is highly addictive. As with all pleasurable things in life, there is a small chance for addiction, however this poses little threat and it has been proven that cannabis is even less addictive than caffeine. Mr Miller aside, you don’t see too many people strung out on coffee do you?

So hopefully you’re beginning to see that cannabis isn’t nearly half as bad as it’s made out to be. But just to push this idea further, here’s a few interesting facts. It is physically impossible to overdose on cannabis. For one to suffer from a lethal dose, they would have to consume 1,500 pounds in under 15 minutes. Isn’t this ironic when you can die from overdosing on water?! In fact no one in recorded history has ever died from cannabis.

It is also incredibly effective in treating a variety of diseases and ailments such as glaucoma, AIDS and arthritis. There are people out there whose diseases can ONLY be effectively treated with cannabis. The fact that people in genuine need of it run the risk of being sent to prison, is just plain sick.

But here’s something astounding. Several studies suggest that THC, the active chemical in cannabis, kills cancerous cells in the body. So called ‘Hemp Oil’, a lotion form of cannabis, has proven successful in most cases in COMPLETELY curing people of their cancer and other diseases. This is a ground-breaking discovery, but pharmaceutical companies reject it because they cannot patent a plant such as cannabis. In other words, they cannot make any profit off of it and ultimately care more about money than the well-being of their patients. It’s interesting to note that these were the people fighting to make it illegal in the first place.

So we understand that the sole reason cannabis was made illegal was because a select few would gain more money from it. But what would society be like if it were legal? For one, it would be much harder for children to get their hands on. In a recent American survey, teenagers confessed that it was much easier for them to purchase illegal drugs, than it was to get alcohol and tobacco. This is because they are controlled and require proof of age, something dealers don’t bother with when selling drugs like cannabis. Also, millions of dollars would be saved in law enforcement giving police more time and resources to focus on the more detrimental crimes such as murder, theft and rape. The taxpayer’s money would no longer be spent locking up harmless cannabis users, which would free up the jails for the true criminals. And on the subject of money, a legal cannabis market would create thousands of new jobs, providing tremendous stimulation for our struggling economy. This is evident in The Netherlands where they have decriminalised cannabis, allowing certified ‘Coffee Shops’ to sell it in small quantities. The country sees drug use and crime rates, significantly lower than most other nations. Cannabis there is an accepted part of society and this approach has been declared by their government as a resounding success.

So in a world where 2 and a half million people die from alcohol each year, and a further 5 million from tobacco, do we really need another legal drug? Many would argue no, but when the statistics show that no one has ever died from it, that you cannot overdose on it, that it doesn’t kill brain cells or cause cancer, that it has a plethora of medical benefits and that it doesn’t contribute to violent behaviour, it’s quite clear that the real dangers of cannabis are the ones imposed by its prohibition. I think some serious consideration on law reform is well overdue, to say the very least. Thank you.

2. thats a great speech, nails a lot of good facts and info.

one thing though, I wouldn't recommend sayin that (your teacher?) Mr Miller is strung out on caffeine.

I would take out that part to make your speech seem more serious/professional.

Other then that, great job.

3. ya i was expecting some high school level paper ranting about it being illegal

But hey you did a good job high five!

4. Haha thanks guys. Yeah I just put that bit in about the teacher for a cheap laugh. People will get it.

5. #5 Trueblade, Oct 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2010
    When you give it, slow down a lot. I read it through fast and it seemed a bit cheesy (Informative...and well done though, I'm not dissing you), but when I read it through again slowly, and paused after major points, it seemed VERY good.

I'm a horrible public speaker, but I have a knack for writing.....hence why I read things fast, and then slow like that. It's good. I liked it a lot. Just make sure to pause at key points if you read it out loud.

Too bad you only get 6 minutes though. I know when I read it I had thoughts like "But just how addictive is caffeine? Do you have any stats on this?" Of course, you don't have time for side bars since it's a 6 minute presentation, but make sure when you write something you're prepared with some additional facts :) An impromptu question and answer session could follow any presentation, and you'll notice this sometimes happens in college :)

6. Here's a suggestion I have.

Since leading research is really showing that THC is just the part that makes you feel high, but the medical benefits come from the combination of THC, CBD, CBN and a number of other cannabinoids you should really bring this up.

You could replace THC in the second sentence with "the active ingredients in cannabis called cannabinoids, kill cancerous cells in the body".

Also, there is nothing preventing pharmaceutical companies from patenting the plants genetic code. They don't want plants though, these companies sell pills made synthetically. Marinol is their attempt at doing it the synthetic way, but only using 3 cannabinoids, it doesn't work nearly as well as the actual plant.
    I think you should bring up the point the pharmaceutical companies can't engage cannabis because the cocktail of active ingredients (cannabinoids) which make cannabis so successful can't yet be imitated by synthetic means.
    Only the plant itself or extracts of it work well, and this is still considered a "dirty" "homeopathic" method by most pharmaceutical companies with power.

7. I think most people are worried about having a speech is long enough, but I think you're going to be challenged to fit all of that under 6 minutes

8. Yeah I've practiced saying it slowly, making special effort to pause at the important points. And yeah it is quite difficult to discuss things in depth when there's so much to talk about and only a short time for it.

OK I will change it to "the active ingredients in cannabis called cannabinoids, kill cancerous cells in the body". Thanks. And I meant that pharmaceutical companies can't patent the plant itself, which they very well know is more beneficial and effective than any synthetic versions like Marinol, as you mentioned.

At a decent pace it turned out to be just over 5 minutes 50 seconds :D

9. If I were you, I would change it to the active components/compounds in place of 'ingredients'. Do you have to memorize that? Hated speeches so much...

10. Yeah I've got it all memorized. Doing it tomorrow :D

11. I know this isn't a public speaking class, but -

Cite your sources verbally. At the bare minimum that includes the date, parties involved and the title of the source/study. It lends so much power to your credibility.
    In a recent American survey...which one? Recent Canadian study?
    Especially make sure you identify the famous rhesus monkey "study" you referred to.

Don't single out audience members. (The teacher)
    Don't tell them that they're uninformed; just inform them. (You may not be trying to sound condescending, but your audience members may feel that way.)

Please God do not say "Hemp oil COMPLETELY cures cancer".

12. I have the names of the studies if anyone were interested, but it isn't necessary to spell them out in the speech. I have to cram in a lot of info in around 6 minutes so don't want to be adding anything more to it. And no I didn't quite say that did I. I said "In most cases it has completely cured people of their cancer". From the reading I've done and from what I've seen in documentaries, MOST people have had their cancer COMPLETELY cured after using Hemp Oil. That's the truth and it needs to be heard, hence my including it in the speech. Thanks for the feedback.

13. So how did it go?

14. Did it today. Was well received I think (The class is full of dumb cunts who probably already smoke weed anyway), but I'm sure it at least challenged people's previous perceptions on it, which is all I was out to do. The teacher congratulated me and said that I made a very strong argument.

I'm now going to post it on facebook as a note, and then tag everyone who I think will benefit from reading it. I'll also get one of my friends to tag my Drama teacher who's highly against cannabis. It feels great getting the message out and making a small difference on a such a serious, fucked up issue.

15. Thats awesome!

Glad to hear it went well and that your teacher gave you a good response. :smoke:

16. my thread is a good reason why it should remain illegal especially for those with self control and thinking issues

17. But those thinking and self control issues would never be fixed, or realized had it not been for cannabis.

It may bring out latent psychological issues in some people. But if you can manage to fix those problems, the quality of your life is drastically improved.

18. Cheers. I tagged like 70 friends :D. Little nervous to see how people will respond to one, the issue on cannabis, and two, the fact that I decided to publish it on facebook. I think I made the right decision anyway because it'll be giving cannabis legalisation good publicity and generate discussion, and it'll inform people.

19. yes.
    for some reason I don't like the idea of legal cannabis.

20. You have fucked up morals then. People are still using it and always will no matter its legal status. For those who have mental conditions, as a part of the renewed, correct education on cannabis, they would be warned against using it. If they do use it, then it's at their own risk and will become a health issue. Cannabis shouldn't be a political issue. Just because there are people out there who will respond negatively to its effects, doesn't mean it should remain illegal for everyone, with the ultimate consequence being sent to jail. That's cruel and illogical.