My seedling is starting to die, not sure why?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by vincenntxue, Sep 6, 2013.

1. So basically, I may have done a few things wrong, one being.. taking soil out of a previously grown plant outside that died due to lack of water, and just using that as the pot soil for the seedling. With that said, I would sit the seedling outside the window, where it would receive plenty of sunlight, and made sure the soil was constantly damp. The problem I think I ran into though, was that the soil would stay damp for days, with very little water? I'm ASSUMING it was me just taking the soil from the used plant, anyways here's the pic.

Now it is much more shriveled and probably dead. ((I took the pic when I noticed it was staying the same for 3 days.

http://gyazo.com/49a83a2c292ca822516f28f8499ba51b

2. that pic looks ok from what I can see but you should be letting the soil dry completely out before watering again. In most soils, this is not every day. Try letting it go dry for a day.

3. That's not a updated pic. It was like that for about 3 days.. and today it was shriveled a lot more. :( The soil has been very damp for the past 4 days at least. Without me rewatering. Could this just be bad "worn" out soil? Here's a updated pic of how it was the next day ((today))

http://gyazo.com/f62946f3ddaae3f7dc4e41b9cc54770c

May already be dead, not sure :/ Anyways, not sure what went wrong! I'm using a regular plastic cup with a drilled hole at the bottom, not sure if that could be the issue also.

4. you should have multiple holes in the bottom. It definitely looks over watered. while it isn't good to re-use soil, it's not for this reason. You could have some salt build up but I really do think that maybe you just don't have enough drainage.

5. #5 vincenntxue, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2013
    Ahh, that may have been it then! yeah barely any water is draining out at the bottom.. and I gave it literally very little water.. overrall. and the soil just seems to stay damp. Is the plant dead? Should I just leave it out in the sun and hope for the best? I'll make another hole. But like I siad.. it's been this damp for 4 days at least. 

Gave it 4 more holes, considering it only had one before. Noticed while sitting on my desk how much water was draining out. 

6. it might not be dead, yah leave it in the sun, once you do water it again, you can give it enough so it drains out the bottom but always let it dry up in between, you might still get lucky here though.

7. Sounds like just cheap, bad soil. Dont water until it starts to dry out, whether it be two days or twelve.