MY ROOTS ARE TURNING BROWN...HELP pleaseee

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by BobMarley...., Oct 26, 2006.

1. i just checked them and they are turning brown i use a 10 gallon bubbler and im growing two white widow plants.... i noticed they stopped growing a few days ago and the roots are turn ing brown... how do i reverse this... PLEASE

2. dont take my word for it, but i think you may be drowning them in water for 2 long and its causing root rot.

I have a sense that your growing hydroponically?!

3. yes i am.... the roots are surrouned by water?... how do i stop this

4. What system are you using,,, does not matter if your roots are in water, what matters is if they are getting enough oxygen.

For instance bubble bucket, all roots are submerged in water but if your air stone isnt working good you will get root rot.

Brown is no good, its root rott and sorry to say but plant will die, only thing you can do is clean out the water and bucket and see if it gets any better but i doubt it will as root rot continues to spread and the only way to get rid of it is removing the affected roots, and by doing so most of the time also kills the plant.

5. i just changed the water... i think i caught the problem before it was able to spread.... should i like take them out of water for a few for the to get oxygen?

6. Dude i asked what kind of system your using! no you dont take it out of the water to get oxygen, thats what your airstones are for, to provide oxygen to the roots.

I really hope you just dont have a bucket of water there with a plant in it.

7. ps simply changing the water does not stop root rot, if there is root rot on any of the roots it will continue to spread.

8. ok i see you said its a bubbler, if your airstones are working and putting out enough bubbles then that is not the cause of the root rott.

Then what has happened is you provided to much nutrients burning the roots and causing the root rott.

9. is this the same plant/system from your grow journal??? if so YEP, we told you the leafs were burt from too much nutes, apparently it was so strong of a solution it also burt the roots causing the dead roots to rott, and from there its alll down hill..

I have yet to recover from root rot

10. first off i appreciate you looking intot the matter... second yes they are the same... i have changed the water and cleaned both of my air pumpers...{that sit at the bottom of my bubbler}

i had aluminum foil over my airstones to get the lower leaves light... i removed that because i see it slowed down the airflow... my roots arent all brown... very few of them are i i have not giving them any nutes since i changed the water{6 hrs ago] .. i hope tommorow they ok caz this is my first grow.

11. ok i am lost dude.

Foil over your airstones??? dont you mean Grow Rocks???

I am talking about your Airstone, the one your Air pump is connected to with a hose.

How can covering the Grow rocks with foil slow down your airflow?? makes zero sense.

And as i said, doenst matter if all the roots dont have the rott, the point is if even one strand of root has it, it will spread unless treated, and all the methods to fix this (Hydrogen Peroxide and all sorts of crap) might yeild you a 10% sucess rate of fixing the problem.

12. yea sorry i ment over my grow rocks...i guess your right... so much for my first grow. like i said i changed the water all i can do know is wait and hope it works out for the best... these plants are about 35 days old.... my conclusion was i over fed them.. after changing the water i have yet to give them any nutes... should i wait before feeding them to try to give them a break and recover?

13. what you usually do is just do a 1/2 solution of nutrients when you change the water that way the plant still has some nutes to live off of..

so tomorrow if i were you i would mix 1/2 strength solution and put that new 1/2 stregth water in the bucket. and sit back and wait to see if the rot spreads or not...

if it was me and only a very few roots had the rot i would have clipped them off.

14. i appreciate your help dier wolf... im going to do exactly that.. hope to see some change tommorow ... this threads not going anywhere.

15. i think i revived them... they were never too bad... today i saw the roots and they look much healthier

16. Not all browning of the root is root rot though, My roots are light brown and they are perfectly healthy. The coloration comes from the nutes & additives I use. Bob if you actually have root rot, use some thrive and some type of root shield, GH has flora shield which helps protect the roots.

Lastly, how many air stones are you using and what size is your resevior. I have a 18gal resevior and I use 6 stones and three pumps. More air means less chance of root rot.

17. im only growing two plants [white widow] .. illl post pics of them tommorow... they both female... i have a 10 gallon bubble resovoir with only two air stones...

18. i have fully revived them... wears my medal?

19. you dont get a medal bob, but your sure gunna get some weed!:hello:

20. How about the medal goes to Dierwolf for helping you out?