My proposed grow closet

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by theotherdude, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Total grow newbie here. I have a closet I'd like to grow a couple plants in.

It is probably 3 feet deep and 5 feet wide. I plan on using CFLs, 5 daylight spectrum 100w equivs for vegging, and 5 soft 100w equivs for flowering. I hope to get some mylar to put on the walls/closet door.

I am planning on buying some utility lights, taking off the tops and putting in the CFLs, and draping them over the hanger pole by their cords. That way I could easily adjust the height of the hanging lights. The plants will be in pots on the floor.

I will have a couple fans going.

One of my main concerns is that the door to this closet is the hinged/folding slat-type design, so I'll need some way to keep the light out completely during flowering stage. My idea is to nail a heavy sheet over the outside of the whole closet, but then I worry about air circulation.

So I humbly ask your advice:

- is this a stupid setup doomed for failure?
    - there likely wouldn't be much light around the plants anyway without the sheet cover, but if even a tiny bit of light gets in everything goes haywire, right?
    - Should I try a box setup or something instead?

I haven't worked out soil/nutrient details yet. I have more digging around on the forums to do before I get to that.

Thanks in advance!!!

2. Sounds like a good plan to me.. it'll all come together man. Go for it!

So..

- No, you can make it work
    - everything doesnt go "haywire" but you can delay flowering.. get as little as possible in there when in darkness
    - You can if you want, but the closet will be fine.

Heat may become an issue.. you WILL need to work out ventilation for that though.

:bongin: ~Experimentalist

3. Thanks for the reply. About the only thing I've decided to change is to try and have three hanging CFLs (from the cords on utility lights), and the other two CFLs on little lamps on either side of the plants.

The hanging utility lights seem a little awkward, but I don't have access to a lot of building materials or tools so it's the best I can think of.