My plants are growing too slow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by werdna el cubano, Apr 6, 2017.

1. I'm on week 3.5 and I only have 4 inches of growth with only 3 tiers. Just recently repotted with new soil.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. if you have it in a giant container it takes longer.
    *edit: start 'em in solo cups in the future. can't tell what that is but betting it ain't a solo cup.

3. #3 lalamann, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    ^not true at all

Your PH is fucked lol, looking at the soil im going to guess its too acidic.

your going to want to give a good flush of PH'd RO or distilled water (ph'd to about 6.5 or so), but personally, i would mix a better soil with a good bit more perlite and start over, you'll be back here where you are in a week if you nail it. Only the plant will be much, much bigger.

This is about where you should be with good genetics about a month from the plant breaking soil
    174164181-KIMG0172.jpg
    174165018-KIMG0174.jpg

With faster genetics, you could be closer to this
    174163297-KIMG0169.jpg

These were both started in 1 gallon pots, with a 40/60 perlite/cheap potting soil mix (not the best choice, but if you keep the ph right they will truck along just fine. (now a days im using a 40/60 Perlite/peat soiless mix), started feeding as soon as the round cotyledon seed leaves started to yellow off signalling the plant is running out of stored starches. Topped at the 4th node.

• Like Like x 2
  4. #5 werdna el cubano, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    Okay yeah I recently just changed my soil and pot from ground soil and a solo cup to hyponex soil and a half gallon pot. My nitrogen levels were off and my plant was turning yellow and tips were droopy. So I changed everything. And it worked, my plant started to look happy.
    My first set of real leaves died before the transfer and the rest were yellowing, thought the first set would make it with the new soil and plant food. But instead they started to shrivel up more and turn dry n yellow. While the rest looked like they were reviving until they turned a healthy green like the picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. How much research did you do before starting a plant, regarding how to take care of said plant? Little to none? LOL The first thing any plant does when introduced to soil is build a root system. While this is happening, you get little to now growth above soil level. The larger container you start a seedling in and the larger amount of soil in that container, the LONGER you have to wait for roots to finish and the plant to start working on foliage growth. If you've watered it at all since you planted it...you've watered too much. What you need to do with this plant is put it under the light and go away for a couple of weeks. Even then, I doubt it'll need you. The smaller a plant is, the less water it uses and one of the major KEYS to keeping these plants healthy and growing well, is having proper drainage and ALWAYS allowing the container/soil to dry out or use up at least 99% of the water you gave it last time. Fiddling with it all the time, repotting, watering, giving nutes.....wasting your time and stressing out the plant for not good reason. Put it under the light and leave it alone until you can lift whatever you have it planted in and feel NO WEIGHT....NONE....IT NEEDS TO FEEL LIKE IT HAS NOTHING IN THE CONTAINER. If you feel ANY weight at all, there is still moisture in the soil and it's not time for more water. The soil alone will feed your plant for WEEKS so put the nute bottles away too.

Go find a RELIABLE source and read up on how to take care of these plants, what the grow media (soil) should be like as far as drainage, how not to kill your plants by over watering or feeding them to death, etc. These are the very simple basics of tending a plant and you need to learn this stuff before you get one instead of after...when you don't know what to do. No way that plant needed new soil or a new container. The rate it grows depends on the quality and wattage of light you have it growing under. Better light gets you faster grow and a larger plant. Insufficient lighting and you get super slow growth and a lanky plant that spends it's life stretching for light instead of filling out. The most important thing you will own is the lighting you flower with. Without enough wattage to flower a plant, you're not going to get much of a harvest. But you've got start with learning how to keep one alive or you'll never get to the flower stage. TWW

• Like Like x 2

6. It might not be true that it was the only cause of slow growth but it is true. Plants should be put in appropriately sized containers and transplanted 2 or 3 times over their life if you plan to have medium to large size plants.
    When plant roots are well established in containers the growth above soil will be focused on so you will get faster growth. The trick is knowing when to transplant to prevent root bound.

When a young plant needs water every other day, the plant is most likely too big the container.

When the plant is twice as tall as the container, you probably need to transplant. If you are starting or already in flower, this does not apply unless you have root bound.

There are other indicators but those work well enough for me. This is easy to test. Start some new plants and transplant one a couple of times while the other plant goes into the container you plan to finish in.You can go right to the final container size but the vegetative growth will be slower until the roots are established throughout the container.

• Like Like x 1