My Plants are flowering already! Please Help!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by CuriousBrian, Jun 9, 2011.

1. #1 CuriousBrian, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2011
    Okay, I admit I'm a noob for out doors. I vegged some plants until they were about two feet tall indoors at 18/6 light cycle with 400 watt MH and topping each one 4 times. I moved them outside towards the middle of May. I thought I was safe. All of my plants have started to flower (many different strains). I live in San Jose CA, and the weather has been freaky this year (meaning cloudy, cold and raining, which never happens here this time of year). They all came from femitized seeds.

For the first month they were outside it was super sunny and I could almost watch them grow. They are still doing awesome and show no signs of bad things even after a super stormy week with big winds. I's sunny again and they look great... super bushy and green... just flowering.

So my desparate question is that I need answered by someone who has experienced this first hand if possible is: what is going to happen to my plants? Will they revert to veg and screw my whole crop? I have the option of moving them back inside but they are huge now and wont get the space and fresh air they will need, and the whole intent was to not pay for all that electricity. However, I would rather do that and get a so so yeild than to lose the whole crop (8 very robust plants)

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

-Brian

2. the flower when the sunlight gets shorter hours so no they will be fine

3. Thanks! I'm praying to the MJ gods that they will be okay. I've spent a lot of time with them and I need them to produce. I've personally asked each one of them to be okay and told them I love them :)

4. i to live in northern cali, and you planted a little to early in my opinion its best to plant 2nd-3rd week of may because the days are getting 14 plus hrs of light, and they gradually increase to 15 1/2 on june 21st and then decline down to 12hrs through the fall they may go back into veg, or take a very long time to flower and stretch alot, i would put them inside till june 21st then throw them back outside just so i get a good yield whats 2 weeks indoors to save your crop

5. i wouldn't worry too much, you had them under a longer light cycle and then put them out where the hours of sunlight was shorter. I'm in the east bay and my plants went outside about a week ago and they are fine, so yours should go back into veg before going into full flower mode.

6. Thanks, but isn't reverting back to veg at this point going to be a bad thing? I mean they don't have big buds on them or anything, but they are definetely flowering.

I'm new to outdoors but have had decent success indoors. I guess one way or another I'm going to find out. Thanks for the response.

7. Wow, that's a really interesting thought. I think I might just do that. Thanks for the suggestion!

8. Wow, that's a really interesting thought. I think I might just do that. Thanks for the suggestion!

9. thats what i would do if i was in that same situation

10. i don't think reverting back to veg would be harmful, they would just keep growing then start to flower again around august into september when equinox occurs and the day is exactly 12 and 12 then after the nights become longer than the day.

11. Thanks for the response! For some reason I have it in my head that it is very bad to revert back to veg, but if it just means the flowering that is there temporarily stops, the plant grows taller and bushier, and then the flowers start to grow again... I don't see a problem with that. I guess I'm just going to have to go through this once to gain some potentially painful experience like I have with my indoor grows, which now I have down to a semi science.

12. This is happening to everyone in Norcal. It's not too early to have them out now, it's just how awful our weather has been. It's finally sunny so you should be able to leave them where they are and the sun will make them reveg. Personally, I decided to take several clones when they started flowering, brought them in to finish flowering, and I'm growing their clones outside now that the weather has gotten better. It's a surprise early harvest.

13. Thanks for the reply. Some of my strains are flowering more than others. I had taken clones of my plants and they were outside too but they are not showing signs of flowering even though they are also growing like crazy and are almost ready to be transplanted into 10 gal smart pots. I'm shocked at how fast they grow outside, and they are not tall and lanky either. Super bushy. Must be the love I show them :)

14. last summer i kind of had the same issue you did with a strain called cotton candy, I put the plants outside a little to early 3rd week of April, they started to flower, then went into re vegging, and during revegging they stretched alot, and messed up the bud structure and it was super fluffy and leafy and the buds looked odd, and it took alot longer to finish due to the shock. so it's up to you, and ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

15. May is the recommended planting time for the county I'm in. This is happening to even the most experienced growers. You know how the Japanese earth quake threw the earth of it's axis. We are now higher north that we used to be. That very well be the reason people are having trouble with flowering times all the sudden this year.

16. Thanks so much for the reply! I was hoping someone with direct experince could share it with me. This totally sucks! Why o why are there so many expensive lessons to learn. I have studied and studied and studied from others and experts, and still mess things up :-( I think I'm doing a lot of thigs right also, but this is one painful mistake.

17. Dude you didn't make any mistakes. May is the right time to plant outdoors. He planted in April..too early. You planted in May which is perfect. This is mother nature fucking up your grow and you can't control mother nature. That's the hard part about growing outdoors. But this isn't any mistake you made. Like I said, this is happening to the most experienced growers this year.

18. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I abosolutely love growing and building stuff and experimenting with different things, but at some point a need a return on my investment, and this was going to be it. Fortunately I have a real job that pays well so it's not like I'm going to starve if it doesn't work out. I also love the challenge of it. With that said, mother nature is the ultimate ruler as we have been reminded of in many ways lately :)

Also, I started doing indoor hydro lately. I love soil and the purity of it all, but holy smokes, hydro grows like crazy too. I'm doing simple DWC with some high quality pumps and air stones, and not really laying on the nutes very heavily and wow! It's like you can watch the plant grow in real time almost. And the roots are the craziest thing I have ever seen!

It's all so much fun. I literally just finished building my fogger cloner. Can't wait to see how it turns out.