MY PLANT iS SICK...PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by 1st time grow, Sep 3, 2012.

1. ok so a couple of days ago i noticed my plants leaves were turning brown at the edges and tips so i did a lot of research on it and everyone said it was my ph wich i tested and its at 6.5 so its not that i don't think, next is my soil i used miracle grow ik ik stupid but its all i had at the time i just ordered a bag of FFOF I'm gonna transplant it into that when it comes and my light is one 27watt cfl and the plant is a little over 2 weeks old. will it die someone please help...

2. ohh and I've been watering with bottled water wit cal-mag once every two-three days

3. Hello, I unfortunetly had one of my plants die on me last week this is very unfortunate, especially that nobody has replied.

Pics pics pics man, easiest way to fully diagnose.

Brown on the edges? May be burning them with nutrients, could be potassium def. I use Miracle Grow too and works just fine in the right dosages.
    My MG doesn't contain sulfur or magnesium

I add 1/8tsp of magnesium sulfate per gallon of full dose nutrients, and I never full dose nutrients.

Get a picture up, I will try to help you out the best I can, keep updated.

EDIT: I misread that you use MG soil and not nutrients, are what nutrients are you using?

4. i tried to put pics but it won't let me idk why, and I'm only using cal-mag bc i thought it was calcium but it hasn't gotten any better but the new growth looks really green ant the stem is thick and really green also, and yea the edges are all brown and the tips too

5. IMG_1282.jpg oak i finally got some pics up

Attached Files:

6. Okay my first thought was that could be a potassium deficiency. Simply google "weed potassium deficiency pictures" looks pretty similar.

However you're growing in MG soil which may already be fertilized, and perhaps over fertilized for your young plant. It is my suggestion that you very carefully and delicately transplant it into better soil and hope it survives the shock.

I really hope it's not too late man, losing a plant sucks.
    I would also really like other peoples' opinion on the sickness of this plant, I'm only a first year grower as well.

Before transplanting you should reallyyy check your soil to see if it's "pre-fertilized" Very important.

7. ok thanks, the soil is pre fertilized and I've heard that the soil releases nutess when watered should i flush it really good and try to get the frets out? before transplanting bc i won't be able to transplant for two days or so

8. Flushing probably would be beneficial, so as long as the roots aren't starved of oxygen or oversaturated for a long period of time.

9. ok ill try that tomorrow and ill let you know how it goes thanks for all the help

10. Have you been feeding calmag since day 1? And when did you first notice the issues?

11. no i started using it when i noticed the problem and happen about a week ago ill try to upload a pic of what it looked like b4 it happened

12. IMG_1007.jpg .... this is before

13. Ok, so when you saw the burned tips, you began feeding cal mag? Were you/are you feeding anything else?

On the face of it it looks like you just misdiagnosed a cal/mag deficiency. Those burned tips are not that. If anything it looks like the compost might just be a bit too hot for the seedling. By adding extra elements to it you just made it a bit hotter and probably a little more out of balance.

Your plants won't die, that's the good news. But you need to revise your approach and you'll be ok.

Growing in compost what you first need to do is ask for recommendations on compost in your country/state/area. Get a good brand. It's only cheap anyway and it'll get you through a whole grow. It takes away one potential problem.

Again, ask for a recommendation on an easy to use organic/semi-organic bottle feed. One for grow, one for bloom. Fish mix or anything roughly 5-2-4 (NPK) is a good healthy grow feed. 3-4-5 is a standard bloom feed. Things like calmag are tonics and singular elements, not base feeds. Use them as a supplement at a later point in the grow.... if you need to.

Feed it plain old water. Soil gives you that advantage. It's plug and play. Don't add anything don't take anything away. A good quality compost will give you a good healthy start. You should be good on just water for at least a week or two, at which point you can either pot up into fresh compost which will sustain the plant for another week or so, or if that is your final pot, begin feeding.

Only begin feeding when you see the very bottom leaf begin to pale. That's your cue and your invitation to what hunger looks like and subsequently basic plant feeding. At this point add your grow feed at 1 mil per liter. The leaf won't fix itself, but your plant will continue to grow healthily. Adjust your feeds by no more than a mil at a time.

Follow those basics and you take away a lot of potential problems.

14. thanks a lot for all the help I'm gonna be switching to fox farm very soon and no the calmag is the only thing I've used so far

15. IMG_1298.jpg i took this this morning. i haven't done anything to it yet

16. Looks similar to mine, but mine are planted in Fox Farm soil and I haven't added anything but distilled water. Diagnosing problems with plants is a bitch, especially when they are young and fragile. If I were you, I'd flush heavy then wait a few days and then add a very light does of ferts. Hopefully it bounces back. Good luck man.

17. im having the same problem but i think my plants are worse....im using Miracle Grow organic, GH nutrients gro/micro/bloom. this is my first time growing ever. Im using CFL lights, but that will change today. Ill be upgrading to a 400 HPS/HM lighting kit. but my main concern is can anyone explain what im doing wrong. i put the correct amount of teaspoon of the nutrients in a gallon of distilled water, then watered all 3 generously, next day they started drooping and turning YELLOW an CRUSTY CRUNCHY leaves =(. PLEASE help as im as NOOB as they get. Just need a break down of the feeding, measurements, potting mix, anything helps thank in advance.

Attached Files:

18. If that was your first dose of nutes you should have done half strength. Young plants are fragile and can get burned very easily. Your PH could also be off, not allowing the plant to absorb any nutes at all. If you've been giving them nutes for awhile, you could already have salt build up in your soil. This is pretty common with people who use Miracle Grow. I've had that problem. In fact, I usually have salt build up at one point or another in every grow. I would flush them with distilled water. Check the PH on the water run-off and see where it is at. Then give them a few days to bounce back. If they start doing better, don't water much until the end of the week and then add a very small dose of nutes with a good quantity of water again and then hopefully you'll be back on track. Don't forget that few plants, even out in nature, live a full life without any problems from disease, malnourishment, ph problems, pests, etc.. This doesn't change just because you bring them indoors. Expect to have at least minor problems wtih nearly every plant you grow. The longer you grow though the better you get at it.

19. If you need more help you should probably post your own thread. You and I have both mentioned our own problems on someone else's thread. Which isn't cool. Sorry OP.

20. thanks for the info i did flush them last night. so ill mske a new thread update in 2 weeks...