My new newbie set up. Please look at it.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Freshly Baked, Oct 24, 2009.

1. This is my set up i made from stuff i found around the house because i don't have any money to spend just yet. Anyways on top there are the two 20watt "natural sunlight" fluorescent bulbs and on the bottom is just a 100watt light i had in my room. It is nice and warm in there, probably like 80F-90F. i put white paper all on the inside to reflect light. The fan blows through a hole and out another hole on the other side, so there is lots of air flow. It is all in a 20x22x13inch box some computer came in. I have a plant that's about 2 weeks old and another that just poked up yesterday. I know it's probably not very good so...what is wrong with it? What would make it better?

Attached Files:

2. #2 newb101, Oct 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2009
    it looks decent i guess for no money spent. but you get what you pay for lol. so what kind of light is the 100 may not be the grow type lol. also look like the right leaves are crinkled?? if so this could be cause by heat stress, do you know what temps they normally stay at? you def need to get better circulation,i dont think that lil hole is doing much. just my two cents. nonetheless nice stealth grow love to see more. go to wm and put a few dollars into a grow buld that would actually help.

3. Ok whats kind of light is that 100 watt light . It' prolly just making it hot in there 90's is too hot 70 to 75 is ideal. Get more cfl there cheap . Don't burn ur house down with that white paper LoL. Plant looks ok good luck!

4. none of the leaves are crinkled i think thats just the picture. There is no browning or anything on the leaves they look solid deep green. I'm gona try and replace the 100 watt light with a High Pressure Sodium bulb will that be good? Also I stuck a thermometer in there for a bit and it was 78degrees. The air goes through the hole pretty hard because the fan is so big. The plant itself is constantly being blown around a bit...is this good?

5. it want hurt the plant. remember this plant thrives in the wild. i would get a mh/hps conversion grow light! works the best! keep it at about 75 in there. keep it up!

6. If i can make a run to WM or Home Depot tomorrow what would you add to this for say 30$? I'm kinda broke right now that's all i can spend.

7. Koala thinks I would probably spend that $30 on a fattie sack and admire my plant for hours, just don't eat it! Koalas have a bad habit of eating our own plants at times (Probably why we look high 24/7).

8. more lights!

9. what ever you do dont buy a hps or a mh with that small space your plants would die due to the high heat output they give out, just go buy some cfl's

10. Plus, a HPS/MH bulb won't work in a standard 110vac light socket. and "Louis L'amour" books? EWWWWWW.

11. i found the books on my shelf n used em cause they were the right size loool. wont catch me reading them. and cfl's it is then.

12. for $30 your best bet (with your current setup) would be good fertilizers or CFL lights.

honestly, though, you could just save up a bit more and look for something on your local craigslist that you could make a stealth cab out of like a dresser or a nightstand and get a real box going.

13. well my mom grows tons of stuff so we got all the ferts and good soil i could want. I have some other things i could use for a box like big old plastic tubs with lids for storing stuff...would one of them work better?

14. #14 CUStoner, Oct 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2009
    Fluorescents aren't terrible for vegetating. You wanna get the lamp really close to the plant, practically touching the top leaves. Dont worry, fluorescents dont get hot enough to burn the leaves.
    You also wanna suspend the light from the top. The bottoms of the leaves are very sensitive to light.
    You can already tell that the plant is stretching to reach for light. This will lead to verryyyy fluffy stringy buds.
    The best way to invest your money would be a good light timer and some CFL's by the time flowering comes around.

15. hps will prob burn the box down