Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

My new bong.... Quick question

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Dannyw2594, Aug 10, 2012.

1. #1 Dannyw2594, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2012
    Hey guys I just bought a new bong in San Fran this week. The company is called RIP which I have never heard of. The guy says its a partner of zob or owned by the same parent company. Has anyone heard of the company RIP or know anything about it? It's a pretty insane bong and I love it!

Let me know what you guys think,
    Danny

Here is a pic...
    Mobile Photobucket

2. Who really cares about glass brand names?

If it works and allows smoke to enter your body, then why care? As long as it doesn't break, but that won't happen if the user is careful.

Why pay twice as much for something that works just as good as a cheaper bong? (Why buy an Illadelph or Roor when you can buy a normal un-branded bong for 1/3 the price?) :confused:

3. I've always thought this. I don't get the obsession with names.

4. ^ Seriously. It just doesn't make sense to me.

5. You pay more money because the big name brands are usually better quality glass made by skilled glass blowers. Also some people consider glass pieces art.

6. nice bong op

brand names often = stronger glass, less drag, tastier rip, more functionality.

7. Yeah, what Pheonix said.

All my "brand name" glass is Weed Star or Black Leaf so I'm no stranger to the "cheap" brands, but I can understand why people would prefer to have a ROOR or an Illadelph or whatever else instead.

You get what you pay for. If I'm buying one of the more expensive brand name bongs, I know that it's going to be well made and durable with special attention to quality control.

If I'm buying a cheaper piece, I know that it's not going to be as durable and there may be some imperfections.

There are minor imperfections on my Weed Star/Black Leaf pieces. Nothing major, just maybe a bump here or a funky seam there. I know that I have to be a lot more careful with them, and I am very careful with my glass, so I haven't broken any yet.

For me, it's a good deal. I personally have no desire to pay hundreds of dollars for a bong. Cheaper pieces work just fine for me.

But other people may have different preferences. That's all there is to it. :smoking:

8. [quote name='"Decimotox"']Who really cares about glass brand names?

If it works and allows smoke to enter your body, then why care? As long as it doesn't break, but that won't happen if the user is careful.

Why pay twice as much for something that works just as good as a cheaper bong? (Why buy an Illadelph or Roor when you can buy a normal un-branded bong for 1/3 the price?) :confused:[/quote]

I feel the same and peoples first argument is its more sturdier ..... Well maybe but take care of it and you"ll make it last

image-3795710639.png

9. There have been cases of people breaking tree percs in very cheap bongs just from simply shaking it during cleaning.

That's never happened to me, and the percs in my pieces seem at least moderately sturdy, but it's not an impossibility with a low-quality piece. ;)

That's not to say people shouldn't buy inexpensive glass. I'll be the first one to come in and defend cheaper pieces when someone is talking shit about anyone who buys "china glass", but there are definitely benefits to buying the more expensive stuff.

Like I said, it's all personal preference. :cool:

10. All glass bongs need to be taken care of or they will break. Cheaper china bongs usually have bad welds on their percs and joints and can break very easily from the simple act of cleaning your bong with iso and salt. I have a black leaf and a syn, both are good but the syn is a lot thicker and I expect it to outlast the black leaf, not that I really expect either of them to break anytime soon.

11. Yeah, and as "low-quality" as brands like Black Leaf and Weed Star supposedly are, they still seem much nicer to me than some of the super cheap no-brand-name bongs I see at some local head shops.

My Weed Star bong is actually thicker than I thought it would be. The joint seems thinner than it should be and the weld isn't perfect, so I wouldn't leave any kind of heavy attachments on it or anything, but I've had it for a few years now with no problems at all.

My Black Leaf inline and 8-arm bubblers are (in my opinion) fucking awesome for the price.

I'm sure they're not as sturdy as a more expensive brand, but I also didn't have to pay as much. ;)

And when it comes right down to it... any glass piece is breakable. Expensive glass is more sturdy and less likely to break, but that doesn't make it unbreakable.

And frankly, for me, being rather poor... I'd rather break an $80 piece than a $200 piece. :p

12. My friend had the same bong! His was a different brand not sure what though. It ripped hella nice. Out of curiosity how much did you pay?

13. mine's better

14. 200 including the case