my light

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by jack235, May 26, 2006.

1. hi,

i currently have one marijuana plant under a UV-light of 60W.

I was wondering, because everyone talks about technical names for them and everything - i bought mine in a standard store and don't know what it is specifically.

would 60w be enough for one plant anyway? and would a standard Uv-lamp be ok?

thanks for any help

2. Watching this thread for the answer too ;)

3. UV lights won't grow you anything, 50 watts of HID lighting per plant would be fine however

4. ok, so what exactly is an HID lamp? and i thought my UV lamp was ok cos ive seen some progress even since ive posted this thread...i guess i wouldnt know though.

5. HID = High Intensity Discharge. For MJ growing that includes Metal Halide (MH) and High Pressure Sodium (HPS). Check the light guide link in my sig...

6. ok thanks a lot, i understand now. the problem is that all the HPS lights i saw, are for 400w and are a little pricy for me if i only need a 50w one.
    Is it vital to have that neon tube and the reflector to go with it?
    Because i saw some standard light bulbs for less which i could easily screw into a lamp i already have instead buying more fancy equipment.

7. Not sure what you mean by "standard" light bulb but sounds like incandescent, which is a no-no. You can get HPS at about 70w at Home Depot in the security lighting section, that's the lowest wattage one I'm familiar with. You can easily get 250w HPS lights for about $115, check out htgsupply-dot-com.

8. ok it all looks great. the problem is, i live in germany. does that site deliver to europe at all?
    I looked in town today and HPS lights are not for sale in most shops, they must be ordered.
    If the site does not deliver to europe..would you know one which does? budget prices are always welcomed :)