My idea on why nihilism is bullshit

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by e_to_the_x, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Okay, so one thing nihilism believes in is the absence of an absolute truth. However, in order for nihilism to be true, doesn't it have to be the absolute truth itself? Because of this contradiction nihilism is stupid.

2. #2 Gummo, Sep 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2009
    I hope you don't really think that's a good argument

EDIT: I'll probably be asked to elaborate, so before I go to bed I'll say this

Nihilism is basically the idea that everything is essentially meaningless. Any values or morals are just results of the collective opinions of humans, and don't really "exist". Outside of this planet, nothing we do really matters.

This is just an explanation, not my actual beliefs. It is very close however, but I still don't necessarily consider myself a nihilist.

3. Which involves a denial of absolute truth

4. #4 Gummo, Sep 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2009

It's stupid to say that "the absolute truth is that there's no absolute truth". It's just a stupid logic.

Nihilism does deny absolute truth, but your argument is like saying you can hold "nothingness" in your hand.

ex.
    "If you don't believe the apple exists, howcome you can't hold the absence of the apple?"

It's just a stupid argument.

5. If contradiction = Stupid then you must not only admit to the stupidity of religion, but you also should admit the idiocy that is philosophy... :)

6. I agree OP

Nihilism is a social belief

7. Wheres the monayy Lebowski?

8. Yah, or we CUT OF YOUR JOHNSTAN

9. Sadly the absolute truth is there's no absolute truth.

I hold the absence of an apple every time I hold an apple. Or don't.

All, none, and one are the same.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. [​IMG]

11. Do I sense some evolution?

:p

Just playing... but honestly, I'm glad to see that paradox is welcome in your world Liquidtruth.

12. Nihilism is nothing more than a destructive way of thought started by a crazy guy call Nietzche who was a racist and heavily implied to have an incest relationship with his sister, whom people took too seriously and actually called him a “philosopher”, who single minded clung to science as the “sole arbiter or truth” and was materialistic and objectified everything, pretentious people constantly like to use his “god is dead” quote, not realizing that he was actually referring to “slave morality” not the actual entity.

13. The absolute truth can be that everything is meaningless entertainment with no value other than that which we place ourselves. Nihilism is an incomplete thought, in my opinion.

Our existence is on the cusp of "why" and "why not?" To me, the only truth of the universe is change or action, the incomprehensibly underlying infinite string of absolute truth will vibrate and undulate, eternally driving the grand drama of everything else in the universe just for the sole empirical sake of action versus inaction. And even in its movement, it might as well be still as the more things change the more they remain the same as the universe covers and recovers the infinite amount of possibilities throughout eternity. 1 is 0.

The universe does not seem to value any one particular clump of matter any more than the other so it's pretty safe to say that our reality is amoral and does not gravitate towards a purpose of greater good or really any purpose that we can observe yet. Everything is nothing essentially, which is to say reality is interpreted and experienced, purpose and meaning are our ideas which we place. It's all illusion with nothing absolute other than action/change, and this action/change is false as well.

Really this is like trying to find the smallest most exact point in a line and if you know some basic geometry/trig/algebra you would know that is impossible as any line between two points is filled with an infinite amount of points as you can always be more exact. It's an incomprehensible concept that we just don't have the capacity in our current forms to understand, it's like trying to count to infinity or experiencing the 8th dimension as a 3rd dimensional being.

I believe we exist eternally only changing forms and transferring our mass/energy/consciousness, living, dying, living again, as a part of an opera we play for ourselves. Consciousness is not what we think it is, it can be changed, broken down, reformed, crippled, transferred, diverged into other beings or reformed from multiple beings into one as our mass/energy is. We are diverged in our existence, creations split from a singular unit/event or being and it's own image. We were whole once, we will be whole again, but till then we'll play this game for nothing and pass eternity with something we believe exists when ultimately there is nothing and one. Which ultimately, that one is nothing as well.

TLDR It's all a lie!

14. "Deteriorata" - National Lampoon
    You are a fluke of the universe. You have no right to be here.
    Deteriorata. Deteriorata.
    Go placidly amid the noise and waste,
    And remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
    Avoid quiet and passive persons, unless you are in need of sleep.
    Rotate your tires.
    Speak glowingly of those greater than yourself,
    And heed well their advice, even though they be turkeys.
    Know what to kiss, and when.
    Consider that two wrongs never make a right, but that three do.
    Wherever possible, put people on hold.
    Be comforted that in the face of all aridity and disillusionment,
    and despite the changing fortunes of time,
    There is always a big future in computer maintenance.
    Remember The Pueblo.
    Strive at all times to bend, fold, spindle, and mutilate.
    Know yourself. If you need help, call the FBI.
    Exercise caution in your daily affairs,
    Especially with those persons closest to you -
    That lemon on your left, for instance.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls
    Would scarcely get your feet wet.
    Fall not in love therefore. It will stick to your face.
    Gracefully surrender the things of youth: birds, clean air, tuna, Taiwan.
    And let not the sands of time get in your lunch.
    Hire people with hooks.
    For a good time, call 606-4311. Ask for Ken.
    Take heart in the bedeepening gloom
    That your dog is finally getting enough cheese.
    And reflect that whatever fortune may be your lot,
    It could only be worse in Milwaukee.
    You are a fluke of the universe.
    You have no right to be here.
    And whether you can hear it or not,
    The universe is laughing behind your back.
    Therefore, make peace with your god,
    Whatever you perceive him to be - hairy thunderer, or cosmic muffin.
    With all its hopes, dreams, promises, and urban renewal,
    The world continues to deteriorate.
    Give up!

LMAO

BNW

15. I think nihilism is a phase people go through..

Ever hear of a dark night of the soul..? Well nihilism is similar..

Usually for adolescents.

Something can't grow inside you unless it has some truth to it..

Its like the depressed or drug addicted artist.. this includes acting as well.. Heroin addiction etc..

16. not here, not now; not ever

17. The atom is mostly empty but is the basis for creation. The Earth is mostly water, as are we. Data is reduced and compressed but never is fully deleted. Blah blah, etc lol.

Believing in nothing is kind of lame really because there is always something in everything in the universe, even if it's sparse.

So yeah, Nihilism is kinda lame IMO.

Sent from my Z717VL using Grasscity Forum mobile app