My glass changed color?

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by yoyodude55, Aug 13, 2011.

1. I bought a new slide for a mini bong I had a while ago, ripped daily from it, when I got back from vacation and unpacked it the color changed from clear to blue-purple color.
    It's Red Eye Glass.

2. It's probably from the resin buildup, if you clean it it should go back to it's original color

3. Its color changing glass.Its made by small pieces of metal (usually silver and/or gold) that are held in the flame of the torch until vaporized (often called 'fuming'). The glass is rotated in this vapor stream until a fine layer of the vaporized metal is visible on the surface of the glass.
    After this, clear glass is applied (often in 'dots' and 'lines') to 'encase' the vaporized metal in between layers of glass. There are many techniques and methods of applying the fumes and clear glass making a myriad of different colors, and endless types of patterns that one can come up with. The colors produced with fumed metals are best when they are translucent, vibrant, and reflective. As the pipe darkens with use, the colors (many barely visible) become darker and much more conspicuous, thus causing the appearance of much richer 'color change' (the glass itself doesn't actually change colors though).

4. The guy with the awesome avatar speaks truth

5. Thank you Sir!:wave:

6. Yep. What he said.