My friend has gone insane!

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by 420BUDweiser, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Okay, im in complete disbelief as I write this. So anyway my friend went to a camp for about two and a half weeks. It was a camp for speech and debate, and he was under constant pressure to perform at a consistent rate. He met a girl, and felt as if he was in love. He wrote her love letters and she denied him. He slowly fell into a depression, but continued to study and work his ass off. Apparently, the kid spent every night for two weeks studying and preparing for his mock cases. He slept something like 7 hours total in 2 weeks. His parents told me that his professors applauded his work, an that he was top of the class. He started texting me some really weird texts, and i contacted his parents. They were worried, and they pulled him early from the camp. They took him to a shrink, and the shrink told him that he has a chemical imbalance in his brain and that his perception of reality is jaded. She put him on medicine to control that problem. I visited him today, and im really depressed. The dude has lost his mind, and it hurts me to see him like this. While we were at best buy he kept saying " look at these people, they are trying to impress us". Then on the way home he stared out the window saying im grounded to reality. Im so depressed, it hurts to see a friend like this. Next bowl goes to you bro.

2. Buuuuiuuuump

3. Sanity is subjective. Your friend has simply broken free of his personal "chains" to reality. You said he texted you thins that made you worry..what did he say? Does he seem "disconnected" from "reality"??

4. The mind is a powerful, yet sometimes fragile thing.

Sorry to hear this bro, I'll dedicate my next bowl to your friend.

5. Hey look on the bright side....at least he didn't go to jesus camp. I'm sure he would be 1000x more fucked in the head after that.

6. "Txt austan ur true fucking meanings rite now the $ is on the li7ne and get bck to me. Austans number is ..."
    I havent talked to Austan in three years, and i have no clue what he wanted me to text him. His mom also called me a couple days ago saying that my friend said i would know what to do when she called me. I had to tell her i had no idea what he was talking about.

7. I Have heard this, he WILL Recover, he just needs to chill for months on a beach and smoke bud and just live the easy life and let his brain recover.

8. I dont think he needs bud right now. He just needs sleep and a stress free environment.

9. yeah this kinda stuff is pretty common, like the shrink said its a chemical imbalance.

the important thing is getting thru it alright and getting your mind back...he just needs time and to chilll

10. Anything that chills him out, so exersise and just chilling.

11. It may be mostly the sleep thing. If it is, how long would you think it would take to recover?

12. A month of the easy life and early nights.

13. Yeah bud could do more damage to him than help his cause. I do think he will recover tho with some tender loving medication. He needs to just hang tight.

14. For the love of god though get hit off any meds the shrink put him on

All of those 'anti-depressents' really just keep people dependent on drugs that make them feel like shit. Real way to cure it has been stated above: No drugs, rest, relaxation, and time away from stressors

15. Please read my post, as I have experience in what I believe your friend is going through.

It's probably due to lack of proper sleep. I had about 2 weeks of little sleep a few months ago, and my reality was just changed for the worse... it was terrible. It felt like a cross between how you feel in a half-lucid dream (the ones you can remember but not control), and how you feel in waking conscience. The only way I could get back to normal was getting back on a good sleeping schedule, after only about 3 days of normal sleep I was back to normal conscience.

Maybe he had lots of restless nights, working and thinking about this girl at that camp. That chemical imbalance will be restored with normal sleep. And I'm not talking about pill-induced sleep either, he needs to just clear his mind and sleep for 8+ hours without interruption. A little bit of weed can actually help him with this. However, getting high enough to have abstract thoughts, and "seeing the mechanisms that run the matrix" while he is like this is fucking terrible, and will worsen, like nosemonster said. Just a few hits of a good Indica right before bed, just to calm him down.

16. Yeh anti deppresents don't help they make it worse by altering the brain chemistry it's either bud or nothing he just needs to chill and not have to think/worry about anything.

17. Classic psychiatrists... "you got a chemical imbalance, I don't need to test these chemicals levels to know, and blood tests aren't necessary. Just take these extremely expensive and profitable drugs that we know nothing about and see report back in a month."

OP, I was out with my best friend one evening after he hadn't slept in about 3 days. The evening began with him lying to me about where we were going, which was very weird/uncharacteristic of him. He was under massive amounts of stress (school, athletics) and was also feeling screwed around by a girl he liked. He hadn't eaten or drank liquids in days either. He had a beer and a half and a couple small hits of weak ass weed and proclaimed "I feel absolutely smashed".

After an hour, he snapped and started speaking in code, was delusional, etc, standing in the middle of the street in the rain. I tried to calm him down/talk him out of it, it was pretty much impossible. I was terrified for my friend. I left him at our other friends house to see if he could go to sleep and evidently he stayed up the whole night writing stuff on a pad and the next morning was even more out of it, acting like he didn't even know who people were, and lets say he was no longer guided by our normal principals. It was like he was in his own dream world.

I called his parents, like you did, and told them what happened. There was some extremely crazy drama (I'll respect his privacy as to what happened, but just imagine the sort of typical things you think about when people go crazy), and he ended out being arrested by the police. They practically had to beat the shit out of him/dog pile him to keep him down. They assumed he was on PCP and wanted to take him to jail, but one police officer after meeting his parents decided to take him to the hospital instead. My friend does NOT do any hard drugs, and he's a very strong athlete.

So he was hospitalized for a few days, he went home and didn't get much better, and later became catatonic (just stuck in the same position and non-responsive for hours), so he went back to the hospital. Now he's been on Abilify for the past few months, probably the same anti-psychotic they have your friend on (it's the new, most profitable one)

He's "back to normal" now, but seems very flat. He used to be very happy and outgoing, but now his mood always seems flat. Only way to describe it. It's very sad, but it's hard to say whether or not the Abilify is helping or it's just nutrition and being able to get sleep.

Anyways, I know you're probably feeling like mourning and like your friend has been lost in some way or another, but don't jump the gun. These things do improve with time. Just don't treat him differently and be a support for him. He'll appreciate it. :)

18. Wow That's crazy

19. "chemical imbalance" pffft what bullshit you know what that means in doctor talk? it means " i have no fucking clue here are some expensive pills that should help somehow"

you don't know if he's insane or not, it may have been a underlying condition and was brought out by the stress and lack of sleep of camp ooorrrrrr he just worked himself out of it especially being that sleep deprives.

1 of 2 things will happen, he'll either get better or fight with this the rest of his life either way you shoulld be there if you are a good friend.

@ skunky munky yes ssri's and ssi's do actually work for people with a REAL chemical problem not just an emotional disfunction making them depressed.

20. Just like everyone else is saying, your poor friend needs sleep. That much stress and pressure coupled with a total lack of sleep makes people seem "crazy". I had a friend who thought it would be cool to stay up for 3 days straight. On the last day he was freaking out thinking the poster on his wall was attacking him.

If you still talk to his parents, try to encourage them to not put him on pills. Pills wont help; they might even make him worse. He just needs sleep and less stress.

Good luck to him!