My First Scrog~DWC~Bubble Buckets

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by bogie420, Sep 10, 2009.

1. I would say go ahead and start flushing to get the desired amount of amber trics. Its your bud so you grow it how you want it. Got any pics of the trics up close so we can get and idea of how they are looking. If I not I understand cause my camera wont let me take good close up shots. :(
    I would say anywhere between 8-9 weeks is plenty of flowering time for MOST strains. Hope you get some great bud off your plants!!!

2. Is that timing from 12/12 switch or first bud?

3. My camera sucks also when I try to get that close, so I cant take any trich pics :( I have been looking at them through a 100x hand held microscope. So I do get a good look at them.
    When I looked at them this morning I tripped out a little, but as I was writing my post it hit me that I might be right on the 8 week schedule.

4. Its from the 12/12 switch bro. I had hairs about a week after the switch. Should I be counting days from the switch, or from the first sign of hairs?

5. I wish I had dilemmas like this!!!

the switch to 12/12 is a reference measuring point, just like the first hairs, but then are hairs hairs or flowers? If they are not flowers then do you measure from first flowers? TMI?

Go with the trics or pull a bud now, do a quick dry & smoke it!
    Either way I'd be starting the flush....

6. Grow is looking great man, can't wait to see the final harvest.

7. awesome grow man got any new updated pics

8. We are in the last 5 to 7 days of her life. I flushed this morning. She is now in pure clean water. I will flush again on Saturday, and possibly pull her up on Monday. I saw more amber trichs, and all her leaves are starting to yellow. The end is near. This will be the last pics until I get her all trimmed, and hung up.
    I have also built the system for my next grow I will post a few pics of it in a little while.

Attached Files:

9. Here are a few pics of my new system. Its a 2 bucket recirculating DWC. I am using the cooler as a res/nute chiller. I will still have to use frozen bottles but I think I will only have to change them out only once a day with this system. It was 2 and 3 times a day when I was doing aero.
    Anyway, check it out, tell me what you think. Oh yea, when I am working on my grow equipment, my bedroom turns into my shop. pay no attention to the massive mess i made while building this. Drives my wife crazy lol. Love ya honey :)

Attached Files:

10. That is a very nice setup indeed. The only problem I would have with that is your plants are going to be so close together. But doing it scrog style I suppose you can train them anywhere you want. Good job though. I have a bucket system, and a ebay 24 site ebb and flow system I like the 24 site system, but the baskets are only 3". That is incredibly small.

See for yourself: http://forum.grasscity.com/general-indoor-growing/412926-hydro-setup-2-inches-2-days-wow.html

Here is my bucket system: http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/405494-hydro-setup-new-equipment-need-help.html

I want to go back to hydro, I had leaks in my bucket system and couldnt quite move the plants were I wanted, and of course with my 24 site ebb and flow the size was my issue there, soil just seems to be the way to go, but trust me I am not going to waste my equipment. I just need to run another outlet in my house so I can run more lights.

Anyway no intention of hi-jacking your thread, looks like your going to have a incredible next grow, with your equipment, looks like everything is well put together.

11. Looks good, have you run it? getting the flow rate on the supply & return equal can be problematic at times.
    I agree, my dro set up put the res in the middle, then you can just scrog over the res.

12. Thanks Tommy :)
    I used 2 inch pots when I was doing Aero, and I learned quickly that they were to small. My new system should work great for a scrog. I am growing in a 4x3 diy box, not a whole lot of room. If I had the room to do a multi site set up, I would space them better and not run a scrog. Right now though this is the best way to maximize my yeild with the space i have.

13. Hi 77 :)
    With my drains being free flowing, and connected the way they are, the whole system acts like 1 big res. The buckets will never get any fuller than the res. As I fill the res, the buckets also fill. In theory, when I reach the high water mark in the res, i will also be at that same level in both buckets. So i will fill everything to the correct level then turn on the pump. As the solution is pumped into the buckets, its all flowing through the drains back into the res at the same time. this only works when the res and the buckets are all sitting at the same level. One cant be higher or lower than the others.
    No, I haven't run the system yet. It will get tested on Monday when i can get everything glued up permanently. I have put a lot of thought into this, and i hope it works like it is working in my head lol :)

14. I understand the time you have in this. And I understand the theory. I've just read before about the pump getting ahead of the return. In other words, lets say your return(self leveling) flows at, lets say a 5, and your pump moves water at a 7 (7 being more) then your level in the buckets will be higher than your res.
    I think its a plumbing thing, which I only know a little, Level = volume + flowrate /Square root of the pressure. Sounds impressive huh?
    when you test run it you'll know for sure. the big return lines will prolly make it OK.

15. Harvest Time :) Due to a leak in my bucket that I caused while trying to do one more flush on Saturday, I have had to harvest a day earlier then planned. Oh well lol. Only being under the 400w HPS for two weeks, I think I did pretty good. I hope to get a little over two ounces from what you see hanging after all is dry. I did speed dry about a half oz of the smaller buds. I couldnt wait lol. I will post the total when its done drying. I cant wait till I can let my next grow flower the whole time under the HPS :)
    I did a test run with my new RDWC system, I didnt use the equation that 77 posted :) but I do believe his math to be right lol. With the 396gph pump, the supply is running a little ahead of the return. It never got close to flooding but the water level in the buckets did rise higher than the bottom of the net pots. I have an 80gph pump that I think will be perfect.
    Here are a few pics of the buds hanging. Enjoy :smoking:

Attached Files:

16. Feeling fortunate to stumble across your thread here, as it appears we have quite a few things in common AND you're approx 4-6 weeks ahead of me!
    Like you, I'm on a tight budget... recently upgraded to HPS, will be cloning at day 21 of flower (5 days away) as instructed in the LST / Trimming / Super-cropping tutorial(s), using DWC BB's, 1st time SCROGGIN on my 2nd grow.

"If you havnt, you should check out some of rumpleforeskins threads. He is the reason i am doing this scrog with a bubble bucket."

You took the words right outta my mouth. Rumple's threads are so informative and helpful. I can't say enough good things about this guy... very inspiring. Think I've actually developed a man-crush on him, but don't tell anybody I said that.
    Seriously, I'd consider Rumple's tutorials as required reading for all new growers.

I'll be watching closely from here on out and following your lead!

17. #97 77401, Nov 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2009
    One ,more thing. When I was doing a Rumple BB Ht=ydro grow I had a tray that all my buckets sat into. It came from the hydro store,Duh! I just wanted to make sure if or when I had a leak it was completely contained.

(edit) Nice F'n pull!

18. Strange... I posted after reading the final comments on page 5 or 6. Afterwards, the thread showed the remaining pages, but not my own. I felt like an idiot, thinking I just adding to a dead-thread but now thinking it was just a glitch..?

Good info regardless. Nice to see a system almost identical to mine, enabling me to make adjustments occordingly and/or learn from others' mistakes (if any) before making them myself. Suddenly on the hunt for more DWC/BB 400W HPS SCROG journals.

I'm SO ANXIOUS to buy some badass seeds, but refuse to do so until I perfect a bagseed grow. At that time, I'll be ready for Co2 enrichment also. I won't stop until I have the best! This is such a fun and rewarding hobby! :D

19. I do ALOT of reading here at GC, so these type of posts are beginning to frustrate me. I make a point NOT to ask Q's that were covered in the first page of a thread, but so many others DON'T. This one made me laugh out loud though... 'DWC~Bubble Buckets' in the name of the thread, but he thought this was an Ebb&Flow?

Sorry.. I've been a staff-member at one of the biggest & most popular online poker-forums for a few yrs now, so my tolerance for this type of thing is low. LOL. I'll TRY to never mention this again at GC... promise. :laughing:

Props to bogie for not letting it faze him at all.

20. bah, people are stoned and talking to each other. I mean, come on. Maybe the guy doesn't know what a Bubble Bucket is? Not everyone is as experienced.

Maybe the guy is on a bunch of meds and it affects his attention span? I'm sure you've made plenty of dumb posts in your extensive experience on the poker forum. No?

I say, lighten up a little.