My First Indoor Grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by khub561, Apr 4, 2013.

1. I have grown outdoors before--nothing special, just tossed some bag seeds in the dirt like Johnny Appleseed, added water, and voila. I love the challenge and simplicity of this hobby as well as the fruits of its labor. I recently moved and decided to try my hand at an indoor grow. I poured over the forums in late night binges gleaning all the growing information I could. I am running a 600 watt dimable ballast, air-cooled hood attached to a 6" duct fan, and 600 watt HPS--for both veg and flowering. I am growing in a 4x4x7 grow tent which maintains 40-60% relative humidity and 78-85 degree temps. Temps climb a little higher, 92-93, when my roomates turn off the ac. I have a small fan sweeping the base of the tent and a large fan oscillating the majority of air above. I have a DIY yeast and sugar CO2 generator putting out whatever CO2 it can. At the moment I am utilizing passive air intakes and a small ground vent to passively expel air. I do open the tent 3-5 times a day to help refresh the air. I am waiting on a 6" inline fan that should help remove some heat and stagnancy. That is my set up. I am growing 4 fem Hash Bomb, a fem Blue Dream, and a fem Jack Diesel. All sprouted in peat pots two weeks ago and were soon moved to their current and permanent homes--five gallon Smart Pots 12 inches below the HPS. The soil I am using is Fox Farms Happy Frog mixed with perlite and vermiculite for drainage in a 5-1-1 ratio. I am watering every third or fourth day with drinking water that I PH tested around 6.8-7.1. I am using lemon juice to help keep PH down as well as hydrogen peroxide to support healthy root growth. (All of these ideas I borrowed from you fine people and I thank you tremendously) The plants are all growing at different rates but look relatively healthy. I administered the first round of nutrients yesterday-- I am using General Hydroponics 3 part Flora series. In addition to the GH I am using molasses and SUPERthrive for added carbs and vitamins. Some of the lower leaves are now showing signs of burn. The worst affected is my Jack D. I flushed her with 3 gallons of tap water (all I had) assuming it was nutrient related. The new growth on all plants looks healthy. I was hoping that some green thumb on here would take a look and comment on what they believe the issue may be and what can be done to help correct it. Any questions, comments, and snide remarks are welcome. Thanks grasscity.

Attached Files:

2. Come on grasscity, someone out there can surely help me.

3. Not an expert but mine looked a little similar when they got heat stress. 92-93 is too hot dude.

4. I appreciate the help. I dimmed the light to 400 and lifted it to 20 inches. I can feel a difference already. Hopefully so do they.

5. I raised the light to 24 inches and dimmed it to 400 watts. It helped a bit, but it's hard to tell if the burning has slowed or stopped yet. While the air condition is on the temps are more stable and tolerable, right around 80 degrees inside the tent, but the temps were in the high 80s today--my roommates turn off the ac while everyone is at work. This is a problem 3 days a week and needs correcting. I noticed the top leaves on some of the plants were curling upward along their edges. I can only surmise it to be a heat issue. I misted the plants and sent them to bed. Does anyone have any suggestions on a way to cool off the tent on days the ac is off? Would a powerful inline fan pull out enough hot air to lower the temps to the ambient temp of the room my tent is in--around 78 degrees while the ac is off, 72 while it is on. I was considering a filter-->air cooled hood-->6" inline fan-->outside of house setup and allow for passive air intake. PLEASE HELP. Plants are still growing and new growth is a lush green, but I know the heat is causing me these problems. Thanks a million. You guys are an amazing resource.

6. Has anyone tried using silica supplements like rhino skin to help battle heat stress? I'm skeptical of the reviews that say plants treated with rhino skin can thrive in temps exceeding 100 degrees. If it would benefit them in 90 degrees I would be interested in such a product. Currently this is a problem just three days a week when my roomies turn off the ac. The other days I crank it to 68-70 and the tent is more hospitable. Any help? thanks guys.

7. So I ducted the from the ac vent in my room directly to the top of my tent. I would have gone through a lower port on my tent but what I had left for ducting only reached that spot. It immediately reduced temps to a frigid-by-comparison 77-79 degrees. This is of course assuming ac runs most of the day. I plan to have a talk with the roommate to see what we can work out in regards to keeping it this way permanently. I will give the plants a few days to see how they acclimate and post pics as I go. I will water again tomorrow or the next day as the soil is still moist 3 inches under the surface. (It has been 4 days now since I watered last and honestly I am a bit shocked by this. I figure I will learn more each day, exciting to say the least.