my first indoor grow, constructive criticism appreciated =)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by pbroosh, May 5, 2011.

1. Yea man 3 weeks old. Hopefully you're right.

I had to go with an indica heavy strain cause I'm working with about 3.5 feet of head room unfortunately

2. Ight ya'lll! Rookie mistake numero uno. Drainage holes. I had em but they were not on the BOTTOM, they were on the sides on the bottom. Drilled out bottom on the runt and what comes out? Bout half a cup of water. -_- sheesh well there's the problem. Fortunately the healthy one didn't have extra water in it. And boy did that water stink too grrr oh well lesson learned. Stupid stupid stupid

3. Funny that that was it. I read something else somewhere about the mistake of not putting holes in the starter cups, and so even though I've only watered mine once (not including initial planting) I went and put holes in the bottoms. No water came out fortunately :)

Whatever the case, that's what these journals are for. Someday a noob will happen by and see what happened to you and will save his own plant. You can live with that, right? :)

4. Hopefully Mr. Razor. I hope the roots didn't rot too much. Anyone have suggestions for the poor baby. It should I just let her sit. Boy did that water STANK possibly one of the worst smells I've ever smelled haha.

5. anyone with a root rot solution? just let her sit?

6. For what it's worth, and that isn't anything, I think ya oughta let the universe decide. Treat her like she's normal, and if she comes back, great. If she doesn't - it was never meant to be.

7. will do. new pics will be up sunday night, she'll either be on her last limb(no pun intended) or doing better. hopefully not the latter

8. I had a runt in my two plant auto flower dwc grow it was only like 5in the first month now just over a month later its almost 3 feet and almost done flowering.

9. Update: 5/8

The drowned out runt is doing better. Looks like she is on the path to recovery:hello:

Couldn't be happier about how healthy the Mack daddy(hopefully mommy haha) is doing. Made an executive decision to put about two water bottle cap fulls of the Mater magic into a waterbottle, let it dissolve(they look like little turds), and feed. I kinda used the same concept as SWIM would use to ingest say oxycontin. Get rid of the time release for quick effect. It called for 10 TABLESPOONS for a 5 gallon pot, which is what I have. Simple logic, knowing that the nutes are rated for time release, let me come to the conclusion that about a 1/2 TABLESPOON may be good for instant feeding. Time will tell.

Also, I LST'd the healthy one. Looking for max yield with only a 3.5 foot overhead.

Pics will be up when I get home from work

Peace:smoke:

10. That's what I'm talkin about. Another baby struggling against the odds to grow into something that chills our collective consciousness - what better reason to survive!

You've probably read a lot of the same stories I have. Sometimes a plant that has to do a little work to survive becomes a real thriver when things settle down.

You know - this is prompting a scientific hypothesis in my head. :cool:

11. Haha maybe some early stress creates a hardier plant? Clone candidate? Hmmm

12. See? I didn't have to say it - it's a natural progression of good solid cannabis thought. :smoke:

Take two identical clones - beat one to within an inch of its life, and if it survives, see how they compare down the stretch :)

A real scientific test would require a ton of samples and environmentally perfect conditions, BUT - fuck it - it'd be fun to do it anyway. :smoking:

13. Love it Razor, maybe i have a new career path in mind:rolleyes:

anyways heres the pics from today, prior to my LST.

checked them about 6 hours after the first nute sesh...well the tiniest bit of brown on the tips of the leaves:eek: we'll see tommoro what they look like and if they'll need a good flushing.
    anybody know the peak onset time of nute burn???
    also the bitch SHOT up towards the light after tying her down. tied her further because i think she just wants the light a little too bad haha, not a bad thing.

im not gonna lie, the runt took to the nutes well and spurted out some new leaves to say the least. these pics are just prior to the nutes unfortunately

Attached Files:

14. ok a day after nutes were given they are looking fine. i think i pulled it off:D

they really shoot up quick after LST'ing, do you guys just tie em down over and over again after they spring back up?

15. pic of my baby in training. you can see the white piece of clothes hanger a couple nodes up

Attached Files:

16. I dont know if this has been mentioned but sorry to tell you that equivalent wattage doesnt not matter... its the actual that does, I thought the same when I began my first grow but then I read everywhere that it was wrong so i went and got 10 32 watts cfls haha

17. I don't think you're right. Only because the actual wattage is how much energy the bulb uses. And it puts out the equivalent amount of light that any other 100 Watt light would put out. They are called eco bulbs for a reason. They save energy while putting out a high amount of light. That's just what I think and I don't see it any other way, really.

18. I dont know the whole science behind the whole CFL grows but I have always heard to go buy actual watts. I think you said you had 7 100 watt equivalents. Which is about 175 or so actual watts so you are fine. With the LST yeah you pretty much just keep tieing it down so the entire plant gets good light. Keep your bulbs real close CFLs dont get hot enough to kill a plant overnight but it will burn a leaf or two up, so I have found. Glad to see that the whole nute thing worked out hope it stays that way.

19. Equivalent Wattage

Equivalent wattage is judged based on lumens, or the measurement of how much light a bulb produces. Essentially, if both fluorescent and incandescent bulbs produce the same amount of light, their respective wattages will be equivalent, showing how much energy it takes to make the same amount of light. For lumens in 500 to 600 range, it takes about 55 watts for an incandescent bulb to operate, while it takes only 10 watts for a fluorescent light. A 75-watt energy use on an incandescent light would only need to be 11 to 15 watts on a fluorescent light.

Light Bulb Comparison

While equivalent wattage numbers are useful for showing the difference between the two types of bulbs, it is not as useful when choosing the bulbs themselves. Bulbs only come in certain wattages, which make equivalent versions slight different. A 9-watt fluorescent bulb, in this case, is equal to a 40-watt incandescent bulb. Around 20 to 20 watts in a fluorescent bulb is the same as 100 watts in an incandescent bulb. Differences will also occur between types and sizes of light bulbs

equiv watts is based on lumens. my bulbs run at 1700 lumens a piece. an incandescent bulb with 100 TRUE watts is equal to a cfl with 34 watts or whatever. seems obvious to me, nobody is understanding my POV?

20. #40 OckhamsRazor, May 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2011
    I swear I wish I could find the graphic that goes with the LST tutorial on the forums. It now contains a dead picture link, but I found that picture somewhere else, and it makes all the difference in getting the concept of LST sitting right in your brain. I will TRY to relate what I understand of it from memory.

The short answer to the question is that people move their little coat hanger hooks constantly as the plant "moves." Here is the idea that was shown from the pictures.

After the third set of regular leaves, and before the 5th set (3rd is recommended) you begin training the plant to lie down and grow towards the side of your pot. When it gets there, you have it turn and train it to grow around the perimeter of your pot (on the inside of the outer edge of the pot). When you make it all the way around, pinning down every couple of nodes, you go inside the first circle and continue around again making a coil shape out of your main stem. Why? What the hell is that supposed to do?

What it does is help you keep your grow short while also making it fuller in terms of yield. Think about a regular plant, never topped or fimmed or LST'd - just growing like nature takes it. If you have a standard grow set up, your lights are at the top, and plants below. The top kolas of your plant do very nicely because it's at the top getting direct light. But the bud sites lower down get less and less light due to fan leaf shading and whatnot. If you LST your main stem into a coil, all the branches, and therefore bud sites, are all on an even plane receiving even amounts of light. Combine fimming/topping, and you can produce a little carpet full of kolas all basking evenly under your flowering lights. Done right, you should have a little forest of kolas all glowing in your flowering lights equally and instead of all the kolas existing on different horizontal planes - aka different distances from your light - they're all pretty much equal in distance from the light.

I kinda repeated myself in places, but I'm blazed. :smoking: