My first indoor closet grow, -EXTREMELY- ghetto <Updated 10-7>

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by tronic89, Oct 7, 2006.

1. So I was looking around the forums this time last week and decided you all got me inspired to start my own grow
    What did I do? Bought a quad and some seeds, from my friend who grows the ultimate chron here in my city.
    Basically what im working with here is: bagseed, no money, small closet, but SOME right materials.

(i know im gonna get soooo much shit about my setup but i dont really mind because its my first grow and ill try and try until i have tangible smokable homegrown bud in my hand :))
    -{SETUP}-
    About 6 bagseeds (from wonderful bud)
    1 Exoterra sunglo reptile light
    1 bottle of Greenright Root stimulator/plant starter (5-20-10)
    Some organic store bought herb/flower soil with no added nutrients/chemicals
    1 4" Computer fan
    Hope, wishes & prayers

Since i am limited to space (parentals and all), how would i go about growing my plant to become fat and bushy instead of tall? I have about 2 feet of grow space uptop but about 4 wide.
    I was looking at the LST method but I dont completely understand.

Only one seed has germinated (the first and only seed i had ATM) and is planted right now under 24/0 lighting.
    I also constructed my own little planter that has a screen in the bottom of the cup (red) so when the roots are too big they will go through the screen and be greeted by vermiculite on the bottom--is this a good idea? see drawing i made below along with other pics

ENJOY and please feel free to leave me any criticism (constructive preferably).

Attached Files:

2. That reptile lamp is gonna kill your plants.
    If the heat doesn't do it then the UV will.
    Get a CFL, or better yet a bunch of them.

If you continue to use that spotlight/desklamp/reflector thingy then don't cover the holes at the top.
    The bulbs NEEDS to get rid of its heat that way.
    What you are doing, making a tent on top of the spot is actually pretty dangerous.
    Its quite easy to burn your house down like that...

3. and how exactly do i go about doing that when im in debt 140 dollars? my only other option would be to use a light bulb like the ones you use in lamps
    also...notice the fan, its 83 F in their too i just took a temp reading

4. Sorry buddy.
    I know you don't wanna hear this,but the reptile bulb WILL KILL your plants.
    Are you sure you can't find 5 lousy bucks for a CFL?
    Which do you prefer : -145 dollars and plant alive or -140 dollars and plant dead?
    Whatever you do don't start growing with incadescent bulbs, they get way too hot, and produce little wrong spectrum light.

BTW 83F is good.
    Just remember that the hottest point of your grow will be right above the bulb!

5. alright well ill scrape up 5 bills and buy one, where could i buy these at? just any lowes or home depot?
    i already planted my germinated seed and is under the light as we speak, will it be fine until like monday when i can get that new light??

i also just took off all those clothes on there so the heat can escape
    i am suprised though, that fan is working wonders with the heat and all

6. dude start it out right, get some sort of box or cabinet or something, go to hte salvation army and find something you can put it in, theres a chance you can BURN THE WHOLE PLACE DOWN. also do your homework many of your questions can be answered with simple searches. also once you get things ready, try 1 or 2 plants to see if you can get it right. i messed up many ways in my first grow.

btw your potting idea may oound good to you, but im sure your plant will hate you for it. one lil party cup isnt near enough space for a plant.

7. 1. i already got shit about burning the place down
    2. i never thought my potting idea was a good idea im transplanting in 2 weeks to bigger pots
    3.my other seeds are germinating right now so i have other plants on the way

8. You can get those CFLs at home depot and such for sure.
    Very common stuff.
    Make sure you have at least one 2700K bulb (=color temperature read CFL package box)
    Then get the biggest Wattage CFL you can afford.
    If 2 CFLs is an option for you remember that 2x10W = better then 1x20W.

You will probably want to grow inside some kind of box.
    So you can ensure 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness during the flowering period.
    This doesn't have to cost you anything.
    I've seen people on this forum grow inside a speakerbox (do a search).

9. hmmm, well would this big mail box thing i have work for a box? its 10"X19"X14.5"
    keep in mind i want my plant to yield as great as it can without much height
    i was thinking about cutting out a thing at the top for a light and my fan...

also do u think i could line the inside (since its cardboard) with something like aluminum foil or such so that there is more light with only 1 bulb?
    im going to tape up the messed up parts so it looks a bit nicer u know

look at the pics and let me know

Attached Files:

10. How true.
    You can get plastic containers used for food items for free after use.
    Jerrycans and plastic buckets work well too.
    Make sure they are NOT transparent and have holes in the bottom for drainage.
    Make sure it's clean!

And I'm pretty sure sprouting under the reptile bulb is a bad idea.
    The UV will mess up leave formation.

During the first few weeks of a plants life its most vulnerable.
    Putting the sprout near a window would be better.
    Ripping any bulb in any room of your house for 2 days would be better too.

11. If you can keep it cool enough (even if your fan fails) that's OK.
    Ofcourse cardboard IS flammable so watch it, better get that old speaker box.
    Wood ofcourse burns too, but its much harder to ignite since its a lot thicker.
    Once you've settled on something make the inside white, forget alu foil.
    White paint works well but I guess a few sheets of printer paper and some sticky tape would do.
    Then again, sheets of paper ignite even quicker then cardboard....so paint is alot better in that respect.
    Then again, then again, a small CFL produce allmost no heat in stark contrast to the reptile bulb you got there.

12. ya well i set the plant by my windowsill (just cracked open) for the time being and took down the whole setup i had
    it was stupid i admit but anyways i am going to go buy that CFL bulb here in a little bit and get all setup and ready to rebirth tomorrow (what a wonderful day to plant, sunday-the lords day)
    lol

the reason i thought aluminum foil is because it doesnt ignite as cardboard does, what do you think?
    ill but out a couple pieces on the sides for my fan placement
    i have a feeling that this setup will be better than my last setup :devious:
    also, i greatly appreciate the help :wave:

13. Aluminium foil will work OK for reflecting light.
    White paint is a bit better but alu foil will do.
    The reason most people use white paint is because the foil also reflects heat so the box runs hotter.
    If the foil isn't flat you can create things like lenses that concentrate the heat burning your plants at certain spots.
    Ofcourse a CFL doesn't produce enough heat for this to be a problem.

14. hmmm, well i think ill just keep it as it is
    im only going to be using one CFL since i only have one lamp available to use

well im off to go build build build
    wish me luck

15. nice grow andy!
    plant looks healthy, what strain is that?
    i got my hands on a CFL bulb so that'll do until i get out of debt lol

16. what about aluminum foil tape since you can keep it flat. i have like 8 rolls at my house with no use for them.

17. down at asda (wallmart/homedepot) you can get silver wrapping paper for 99p for 3 metres!
    Glad you listened and went down the CFL route, hows things growing?

18. this is awesome. like some kind of reality show. race to construct something to keep the baby alive. I'm not knocking you man. I started the same way. had sprouts under a 17 watt desk lamp for 2 weeks. gl, I'm pulling up a chair.

19. Yup yup yup its all coming together, very good, very good.

What i recommend is more lighting and by the look of that picture a bigger pot.

I'm taking a trip over to the Depot to buy some flourescents and/or CFL's.
    For just one plant, I recommend you go out and buy two 42w CFL's (Compact flourescent lights - they are spiral) and get two 60w Warm White spectrum for flowering your little girl.

It'll run you about $40.00CAD but it will be soo worth it.

Also, try building a growbox so you can concentrate more light on the plant and not leak so much away from it.

Good job man, keep it up.

I'm definatley going to be keeping an eye on this thread.