My first growcabinet - Any suggestions for improvements?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by WhyNotSmoke, Jul 25, 2007.

1. [FONT=&quot]Hey GrassCity<o:p></o:p>

[FONT=&quot]I’ve been looking closely and full of excitement at many of the threads in here, different setups and grow techniques and so on, and I’ll have to get started soon. It’s hard not to want to get growing with all the nice results and interest in them displayed here at GrassCity. So the idea of this thread was to see if I could get any feedback on my idea of my upcoming setup, which so far I’m planning on doing something like this.<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]GROW CABINET:
    [/FONT]

[​IMG]

[FONT=&quot]I’m planning on building this soon.
    If you wonder about why the cabinet is not just rectangular, the answer is that this design would fit better in visually in my room and at the same time it just adds more room to grow than if I only used a base of 75 cm x 120 cm. I have tried to illustrate that I vertically would have a difference from inside top of the cabinet and the exterior top, this to make place for outlet of a vent and room for wiring and ballast and at the same time hiding these installations as much as possible. I’m also planning on adding mylar on the inside of the cabinet. <o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]<o:p> </o:p>[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]LIGHTS<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I plan to do my vegging under two 115W CFL’s(6400K) mounted on a smaller reflector, and my flowering under a 400W HPS(around 2000K), mounted inside a coolshade to reduce overheating of the cabinet.<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]So I’m not planning on running with two separate rooms for vegging and flowering (that might be a later addition to my setup, a smaller room for clones and vegging), but for now I will just change the light setup when going from veg to flowering. The lightning schedule will probably be 18/6 for vegging and 12/12 for flowering<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]VENTILATION<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I plan on mounting my coolshade with a duct fan which pulls 225m3/h on the one side of the colshade blowing air through the coolshade and then from the other side of the coolshade out through the closet, hoping that this will be sufficient for removing the heat produced by the 400W HPS and to vent the rest of the cabinet sufficiently. The supply of fresh air into the cabinet would mainly consist of a set of passive intake holes placed at the bottom of the closet, and if needed smaller intake holes on the side would be added. Inside the cabinet will be placed a fan to induce proper airflow.<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]ODOR CONTROL<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]First I had plans on using a carbon filter, but after having read the thread “Perfect Odor Neutralizer” :<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-room-design-setup/144976-perfect-odour-neutralizer.html<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I’m planning on setting this up in my grow cabinet (if I can get my hands on some ONA somewhere in Europe that is)because it sounds awesome to reduce smell and therefore It might mean that I will actually be able to exist in the same room as the lovely plants I hopefully will end up with. <o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]GROW MEDIUM/SETUP
    This is my first indoor grow, have earlier been growing outdoor, but for this first indoor grow(hopefully the first of many to come [/FONT]J[FONT=&quot]) I’m planning on using soil mixed with a some hydro pebbles to secure sufficient airflow for the plants roots and will be adding some perlite to secure moist, haven’t decided/chosen any particular brand or type of soil, but plan on visiting the local garden shop and find something suitable. I have been inspired by threads about hydro-setups, but because this is my first indoor grow I thought it might be easier to use soil, but feel free to enlighten me if you think I would be able to pull off a hydro-setup for first indoor grow and what the advantages of hydro might be for my setup you therefore think I really should get me a hydro-setup of some kind.<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]NUTRIENTS<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I have not decided on any particular brands or types of nutrients yet, but I sure don’t want my plants to be starving, so will have to get some experience in that field, any suggestions on nutrients are therefore very welcome<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]SEEDS<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]So far I have bought a seedpack from marijuana-seeds.nl which includes three strains, Bubblegum, Northern Lights and a variation of Big Bud. Maybe this buy was done too quickly, maybe I didn’t do sufficient research regarding the quality of their seeds, so if anybody think that it might be disappointing to start out with these seeds or one of these strains for that matter, please feel free to enlighten me with some good reliable strains that doesn’t have to cost insanely much.<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Well that was basically what I am considering as my setup, well I think the cabinet will be done in a couple of days and from there on I will get started growing, but I started this thread to maybe get some input so that I could reconsider parts of my setup if you might have any suggestions on changes or additions to the setup, so I hope you’ll post and make me wiser on the world of indoor growing, so don’t hold back.<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

2. Wow sounds like youve got it all planned out i cant wait to see the results!

3. Thx for the kind words billabong420, I cant wait to get it running, so today I started putting together the cabinet, so will soon have the cabinet ready for some mounting of all the gadgets