My First Grow! Will update daily.

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by blairsie420, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Hi all... so I finally decided it was time to grow my own after all these years of paying for weed. It just makes sense, especially when it's completely legal to do so. I ordered some seeds from The Attitude, and decided to plant these 4 strains:

DNA - Reserva Privada Cole Train
    Greenhouse - Bubba Kush
    Greenhouse - Big Bang
    Dutch Passion - Strawberry Cough

First I soaked the seeds in distilled water for 12 hours. Placed seeds in rapid rooter cubes, set inside a propagation tray w/ dome. Kept temp warm & humidity high for first 24 hours. I'm using a SunBlaze T-5 flourescent strip. Day of planting did 12 hours on. 6 off. On my second day, 18 on 6 off.

This has been really exciting. The Big Bang shot up the fastest, dropped it's seed first. The Cole Train quickly caught up and is now slightly higher than the Bang. Bubba Kush is inching up. The Strawberry Cough has been the slowest to crack the seed and is slightly behind the others but I can see the white stem. At the end of night #2 green leaves are visible on the Cole Train & the Big Bang. Amazed at how fast they are growing! Obviously starting very late for October harvest so doing a lot of light... I believe this is called 'forcing the vegetative state'?

Was giving them a few small sprays of distilled water (I added a tiny drop of superthrive to water bottle) 2-3 x per day but the cubes are very moist so I don't think they need water for a day or so. ??

There is a white root coming out of the bottom of the Cole Train & the Bubba Kush, so I will transplant into plastic dixie cup tomorrow. Planning on filling 2/3 full of FoxFarm Ocean and gently placing root cubes in then fill in with soil. I think I am supposed to water a little bit and then an hour later water until it runs out of the bottom ? (I'll cut slits in the sides/bottom for drainage). Then I am planning on putting them back under the light and once the others have leaves I have no more use for the dome, I believe. I think I should also lower the light once the dome is gone. ?? How many inches above the plants would be optimal?

As I said I am totally new to this, I have a good friend in another state who has been patiently guiding me through this and giving me advice. I feel quite positive that all 4 seeds germinated and seem to be very healthy and doing great! I can't wait to continue posting and sharing pictures with everyone! Any tips are much appreciated!

FYI: I am only starting the plants inside, then planning to move them outside once they are stronger. I get great sun for around 8 hours in my back yard.
    All I have for soil is a large bag of FoxFarm Ocean.
    The only nutrient I have is superthrive.

Questions I have:
    From the plastic cup what size pot should I transfer to and when?
    And then, from that pot what is the next size I should plant them in? Will this be the pot they stay in until harvest time?
    How much of, and how often should I use superthrive?
    The guy at the hydroponics store recommended Great White. My friend also said that is good stuff. But how do I use it?
    Should I be mixing perlite & vermiculite in with the FF soil?

I live very close to the ocean and it does get chilly at night sometimes. After the plants are transitioned outdoors should I bring them inside at night so they don't get too cold?

Speaking of transition, how exactly does that work? If I've been keeping them under the t-5 light for 18 hours a day, how should I introduce them to natural sunlight? I am guessing a little bit each day?

I kind-of know what I'm doing, but not really... I've done a lot of searching online and have definitely been finding a lot of useful info. But if anyone knows of a really good, step-by-step detailed grow guide for beginners I'd love the link.

Here are the pics I've taken so far. I plan to document this entire process and update as much as possible.

These are the cups I'm planning on transferring the root cubes into.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My little setup (t-5 hanging from speaker wire attached to screws in ceiling)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

day 1 (am)
    [​IMG]

day 1 (pm)
    [​IMG]

L to R: Cole Train, Bubba Kush, Big Bang, Strawberry Cough (slowly but surely)

[​IMG]day 2 (pm)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. at this time of the year . going out side will have a diminished harvest ..but still decent enough to make it worth it.. so if you were doing this say in may I would suggest a minimum of 20 gallon , but this late in the season you should be safe with a ten gallon .. look into Smart Pots ( Google will get tons of hits)

I live about 1/4 mile away from the Pac. here on the Oregon coast..and cold is not too much of an issue .. humidity /water and mold at harvest time ..that's another story. ( Neem oil helps if used with vigilance) bugs mainly slugs will also be a problems .. I suggest using egg shells , or slug baits... if you do go wth slug baits make sure you find ones made with Iron Phosphate they are safe to your pets and doesn't also kill beneficial insects, like earth worms, I suggest the "Sluggo" brand ( what a lame name, huh ?)

never used Great White..but the Ocean Forest/Happy Frog should need no expander. I would suggest Happy Frog , it is a little more dense ( which is good outdoors) and has some good mitochondria in it..but the GW may have better benefits....

spend a 3-7 days to transition em outdoor ..find some shade .. set em there for the first day or two ..then out into he sun ( you may feel like bring em in .. it is okay to do so..insects are at the busiest at night ..and your plants at their weakest against pests at this age) for bit each day .. it will not take long, for em to adjust

Wharf

PS nice handwriting.

3. Lookin real good to go !!!
    Just what Wharf said.

:smoke:

4. I'm currently growing strawberry cough, and I must say it's one of the easiest and stress-free strains to grow, good for beginners.

5. I am growing the cole train right now myself. I've found it to be a slower grower than other strains from DNA. The growth of the plant shows a predisposition for lollipopping or running as a Sea of Green. Internode branches are short and thin even at 30 days veg despite the plant being fairly tall for its age. I have LST'd the plant and the upper nodes have responded very well to the training, establishing 8 or 10 new "tops" after just a week in LST.

I learned a great deal from the "Growing Marijuana torrent." I don't have a link for it but you can just google it and download. The torrent contains all kinds of marijuana related info, from the Grower's Bible to Jorge Cervantes's DVD set (which you can also get through netflix if you'd like). I find that reading the grower's bible, then watching a couple dvd's and time lapse grows on youtube, gives the new grower the right mentality and knowledge.

6. Wow.. thanks so much to everyone who responded and all the advice! Thanks about the handwriting Wharf ;) Ok, so I checked them this morning and all 3 except the Strawberry Cough had roots coming out of the bottom of the root cube. So I just transplanted them into the cups. I filled 3/4 full of Fox Farm, made an indention with a shot glass, and carefully placed the root cube inside. Then I filled the sides in with more soil. I gave them all a few squirts of the distilled water with a drop of superthrive mixed in. My friend had told me to do this: water once, (I only did the few squirts because I wasn't sure) wait one hour and then water again until it comes out of the bottom. I feel like that is a lot of water, but maybe that helps the soil? If anyone can let me know if that sounds like the right thing to do, the sooner the better as I'm supposed to do it in one hour. I only have 1 drop of superthrive in my water bottle, however the bottle is only about a quarter full. Do you think that is too concentrated?!

My babies are growing rapidly!! Here's pics from this morning, before the transplant.
    [​IMG]

And just a minute ago:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm clueless as to light distance. How many inches should I keep the light from the tops of the plants? I know they are growing rapidly so I'll probably have to adjust daily ? The t-5 does not get very hot... still.. I don't think they should be too close..?

Here is how it stands currently:
    [​IMG]

Again, any advice on the watering much needed and appreciated ASAP. Thanks very much!! :)

7. #7 PostPavilion, Jul 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2010
    Your lights could be a lot closer, I already see some stretch. The more light the better, if you can feel the heat on the back of your hand and it's a bit hot, then it's a bit hot for your plants. Otherwise get it as close as possible.

Water the soil making sure it gets satured enough and starts to run out the bottom, it might seem like a lot but this will last the plant for a few days, after it dries back out, as in a crunchy top and dry more than one inch down, is when you water again. Cannabis likes to be dried out just a tad between waterings, it promotes strong root growth.

I would be super careful with the nutes at this moment. Wait on your nutes until there are about 2-3 nodes on the plant, and start out extremely weak and work your way up to bigger doses, to see how the plants respond without doing harm.

Also get a fan on them! It will promote strong stem growth. And help circulate the air.

8. Hey man, thanks a lot! I moved the light about an inch closer, can't do much more because the Cole Train is now about 2 inches tall. The light doesn't get hot at all, I can put my hand directly on it and it doesn't burn my skin. Waiting for the Strawberry Cough to show it's root so I can transplant it also, as it's still in the rapid rooter cube it's much farther from the light than the others.

I don't have a fan, suppose I can go get one if it's crucial. Do you think it is? I did open both windows and there is a nice breeze coming through. I have one of those little hand-held fans and I have been using it to give the plants some air about once an hour for a minute or so. That might not be enough but it's better than nothing I hope. All 4 strains have now come out of their seeds, Strawberry Cough is finally showing her first leaves! Will post a picture of what they look like tonight.

Thanks again to everyone who reads this and gives me advice. I'm such an amateur at this but with a little... or maybe a lot, of help, hopefully I can grow some pretty decent plants! :D

9. That sounds good. The constant wind from a fan is very helpful, the stems have to get strong for when they form buds or it will get more difficult for them to hold the weight. Gotta' keep 'em movin'. It's not critical but its worth it.

10. Thanks Post... I think I will take a look at fans tomorrow. I do see the importance and I want to do everything I can for these girls. Oh that reminds me, I didn't mention this before but they are all feminized seeds. Anyway, here are the most recent pics, taken about an hour ago just before the light switched off.

[​IMG]

Close up of the Cole Train

[​IMG]

Close up of the Big Bang

[​IMG]

Strawberry Cough finally starting to open her leaves.

[​IMG]

Closeup of the light distance. Does this look legit? Post, I took your advice and moved them all closer. The light does not get hot at all. My friend said it can pretty much be as close as possible without touching the bulb of course. Would you agree? I can put my hand against the bulb even when it's been on for 16 hours and it's only warm. As you can see from the picture above, I put a couple notebooks underneath the tray and then stacked CD's accordingly depending on the plant's height in proportion to the light. (I didn't move the bubba closer because I'm trippin on one of it's leaves)....
    [​IMG]

Here's what I'm worried about. The bit of brown on the Bubba Kush leaf. None of the others have this. If it's bad, how bad? What would cause this, and how can I fix it?
    Maybe it's no biggie, I'm just such an amateur and I have no idea what's normal.
    [​IMG]

I have a couple questions regarding the fan. Will a regular small, cheap fan I can buy for like $20 be ok? Where do I position the fan? I don't really have anywhere too close to the plants I could set it. I'm thinking the best place would probably be on top of my desk, but the plants are much higher up. Do they need air directly blowing on them or is it just to generally circulate the air? I would assume the latter because direct air might be too strong even on low. ?? Should I keep the fan on all the time or use it intermittently?

Ha... sorry... I'm very detail oriented and very much immersed in this amazing process. I just want to do everything right. This is a really fun learning experience for me! Well, time for some bong hits and a little night walk. Thanks to everyone who reads this and especially the nice people responding. I really appreciate all your advice! :)

11. Your cole train isn't 'kicking ass'. It's got huge stretch, although this isn't too much of a problem at the moment, as you can bury the stretch when you transplant. Get those plants are close as possible.
    Your fan can make the leaves of your plant dance in the air but no more, your stem shouldn't be moving. Just gently circulating the air.

12. Oh... shows what I know. I was thinking it was growing really fast but I guess it's just 'stretching'... :( Gonna read more on that in a minute. I will definitely move them all as close as I can to the light first thing tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

13. Stretching is caused by the plants not being close enough to the light, and they stretch to get as close as possible. The best plants indoor with little grow space will have very small internodes and virtually no stretch.

14. put the fan ON them....keep the stems dancing, not just the leaves. you'll want a nice fat stalk to hold up the weight of your buds.

15. Fan can be a little further away if it has to be, just gotta have them gently rockin' in the wind, doesn't have to be a wind storm.

And as the others are saying, yes the light needs to be closer still, if you can't feel the heat from it an inch away, put it an inch away from the plants, if you can't feel the heat half an inch away, then put it half an inch away, light placement is one of the most crucial elements of growing, but it can be tricky to master. Just keep an eye on the plants day by day and make sure they don't grow into the light, yet staying as close as possible.

Just a thought, what's the exact specs on that T5? Wondering if you might want to consider even adding a second light.

16. Cool thanks guys... yeah I researched the stretching and I totally get it now. I hadn't realized they were way too far from the light. Immediately after reading The Mack's post I moved them all about half an inch from the light since it's not hot at all.

Waiting on my delivery service..down to my last nug... as soon as my buddy leaves I'm off to Target for a fan. Meanwhile I've got both windows open and it's been really breezy lately. So that should be sufficient until I come home w/ the fan.

The specs on the light are as follows:
    It's a Sunblaze T-5 High Output Strip 2 ft/24 w

That's what my friend recommended I get, just to get them started, as I'll be moving outdoors within a week.

I'm a bit concerned about the Strawberry Cough. It's about an inch tall but still no root showing through the bottom of the root cube. I didn't want it to start stretching as well, so I cut a large hole in the bottom of a dixie cup and stuck the root cube inside of it, so now it's just as close as the others.

I'll upload some pics later today.

p.s. Anyone notice the little brown part of the leaf on the Bubba Kush? Nobody responded so I'm hoping that means it's not an issue... still like to know for sure.

Again THANK YOU SO MUCH for the responses, you guys are saving my ass... and most importantly, my plants. ;)

17. yea ..but if you have to have stretch now is the time.. you can bury right up to the cotyledons ( those first little leaves that do not look like cannabis leaves..) when you do your next transplant ( prolly 7-10 days from now)

actually you can do this any time, not just in seedling stage( buried stems just grow roots, like clones). it is a very common technique for cannabis starts. as that little purple/red part is something that likes to stretch later on adding to your finish height, but roots hold that sucker in place .. :)

Wharf

18. Thanks, very good info Wharf! I got a clip fan and clipped it to the top of my door. I've got the door about halfway open as I determined that was the best distance from the plants. They are moving slightly, but not too much as it's on low and about 5-6 feet away. Only question... should I keep in on as much as possible or do a little bit at a time? It will definitely be off when I'm sleeping as the noise would bother me. Just want to know if I should be keeping it on continuously during the day, or not. I've had it on for the past few hours straight... hope that's ok.

Here's the daily photo update:

As you can see, I moved the plants much closer.
    As close as I could, really with just a tiny gap between them and the light. I've been watching them to make sure nobody grows into the light.
    [​IMG]

Cole Train
    [​IMG]

Bubba Kush
    [​IMG]

Strawberry Cough
    (looking good but still no root coming out of bottom... this strain seems to do everything about a day and a half slower than the others).
    [​IMG]

My friend who is giving me advice suggested I put cardboard around the sides and back, & to tape white paper on the cardboard because it will help reflect the light. I put one piece of the side nearest my bed, which will help a lot. At 6 am when the light comes on it looks like the beach on a sunny day in here and I'm not the type to rise before at least 11. So that will be good in more ways than one.

Anyway, then I put a larger piece behind the plants, bent it and made a little roof. I tried it a few ways.. first just straight up against the wall, then I tried putting it an an angle so the creased part was on top of the light (see pic below). This seemed to work really good as far as reflecting the light, but it also made it much warmer. Not hot, but the air felt warmer all around the plants and I am not sure if it's too warm. Maybe this angle is too severe?

[​IMG]

And here is how it stands now: I have it the opposite way, with the cardboard piece sitting in front of the plants. There is a very slight angle but not much. There is more space between the cardboard and the plants. I also prefer this because it blocks the flourescent light from beaming behind my head when I'm in my room.

[​IMG]

I'm only doing the cardboard/white paper thing on one side and the front, as any more would block the air circulation.

Everything seem cool? Any comments/suggested appreciated as always. :smoke:

19. Im interested in knowing what your next growspace for when they get bigger is going to look like and if you plan on using a fan to blow on them as they grow.?

20. Hey Flight, I'm planning on moving them outdoors in about a week. That's why it sucks they moved this thread. It was in the Absolute Beginners area because I need help and advice but it was moved today. I guess they will have to move it again in a week when I transfer them outside.

Anyway, I'm transplanting to 2 or 3 gallon pots, with FF Ocean & Happy Frog soil, perlite & vermiculite as soon as they are ready. The pots are going to sit on my back deck. It gets a lot of good sunlight. Never grown before, I know it's late in the year and indoor would produce far superior results but I don't have the cash flow to do that kind of operation just yet. So I'm hoping the outdoor harvest will be decent. I just wanted to get them started from seedlings inside, so I could control everything better.

And yes, I'm using a fan on them. Just bought one today at the advice of nice people on these forums.

:)