My first grow! Skunk #1!

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by asd3reff, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Hello there! I'm in process of growing my Skunk #1 seeds! I bought them from Sensi Seed in Amsterdam. The seeds are not feminized. I also bought a Philips MASTER SON-T PIA Plus 400W HPS light. I'll use soil for growing. Hope i'll get the best advices and tips from you all users, during my grow process. I'll start growing in a few weeks, need to put all things and details together and i shall start. Till' then, i'll ask my first question, how good is that bulb light and i saw that some growers use different lights for different stages of the plant. Can i obtain a good healthy plant, only with this bulb light? To mention i want to grow a single plant for the start.

Attached Files:

2. Welcome to GC asd3reff!!

1 400 watt HPS will grow a plant. The different lights you mention are for duplicating different light spectrums. The HPS you have there is more of a flowering spectrum of light, although (not an expert)I believe you could do an entire grow with it just fine. MH is the preffered HID light for vegging, the 6500k. Then people switch to the HPS for flowering.
    Anyway, GL, and post some setup of your room when it's up and running.

3. ;) ;) son t bulbs a great for growing and if you don't want to lay out the extra cost for a metal halide bulb a hps will do fine for the entire grow good luck with the grow and remember to keep us posted

4. hope to start in a few days, just need to set up my grow-room. Until then, i don't know how to set the light system. I have the bulb, and i bought an condensator, an igniter and an ballast. I just don't know how to wire those parts together. Someone gave me this scheme but i don't know how to interpret. If anyone can help.....

Attached Files:

5. look what i found!

While blooming, do not use bulbs that give too much of a yellowish light, like SON T Plus bulbs. With such a lamp the harvest will be about 20% lesser. Also do not use the MASTER SON-T PIA (used for streetlights) but the MASTER SON-T PIA GREEN POWER. Furthermore, Philips advises to combine HPS bulbs with MASTER HPI-T PLUS bulbs in case of growing without any sunlight.

The funny thing is that i bought the seeds and the bulb light, directly from Amsterdam, Sensi Seeds, Oudezijds Achterburgwal 150.
    That article makes me sceptical in growing my seeds with that light.... :(

6. Being very skeptical using for the entire process that Philips bulb, i may consider using some CFL's for the veg stage. And switch to flowering stage when needed to Philips MASTER SON-T PIA Plus. What do you think? What would you do in my place? I found a type of CFL and don't know if it's good. On it it says that it has 11W and 550Lm, but on their website it says this CFL, is equivalent with 125W of incandescent light. I don't know if it's ok.
    Please advice me...

Attached Files:

• d.jpg
      d.jpg
      File size:
      33.1 KB
      Views:
  7. as long as its not actually incandescent thatll be fine, youll want at least 100 watts of actual power so per plant, so probly 2 or 3 per plant, i use cfl's (compact flourescents) for my grow and it works fine. you can get metal halide bulbs off ebay though and thatd be much better. good luck!

8. All the Philips SON-T will do fine for growing and flowering.
    Their spectra is allways pretty much the same ; the familiar orange.

Both red and blue light can be used by a plant during vegging.
    Blue light being a little bit more efficient there.

During flowering red light is a must have.
    HPS bulbs excell here.

Most people veg under fluros or CFLs (me included) because blue light works a bit better during vegging but more importantly your plants start out small.
    So small that a decent HPS is waaaay too much light for your young and puny little plants.
    Waaaay too much light means waaay too much electricity means waaaayy too much money.

You understand now?

9. i just put the seeds to germinate (4 for the start), now 11 hours ago, nothing yet, and i bought 2 x 120W CFL, which i'll use them for the veg, and switch to HPS 400W when needed. I'll put the seeds in some little pots (soil) after germination, and as i read over the internet and on Grasscity.com forums, i'll keep them in dark place till the sprout will show up, and intend to put those on the two CFL's, i don't know the intervals which i'll must keep the light on and off for the veg period (CFL period). I read many variants, and some says to keep the light 24/7! What you advice me?

Attached Files:

10. 24/7 Marijuana is classified as a C3 Plant which breaks down to the more light the better.

Rock on

11. 24 hours had passed and no reaction! should i worry?

12. updates... i guess it's not time yet to move them in to small pots

Attached Files:

• re.jpg
      re.jpg
      File size:
      130.3 KB
      Views:
  13. i put them in little pots, and keep them in closet. I don't know what to say about lighting, when to switch those CFL's on! :confused_2:
    What about watering the plants with mineral water gas free from the shop?

14. don't water them yet, sure turn on cfls not gonna hurt anything

15. i did water them just a little, and regarding the light, how can you explain by leaving the lights starting from now on, as long as the "thing" is still in te soil? How can help ?

16. Well, if the sprout is not above ground, it is in the dark even if your light is on, BUT light will be available as soon as it breaks ground, and the light will usually keep your soil warmer too.

17. Put saran wrap over the cups until they sprout and then when they do take it off and turn the lights on.

18. thanks for help

19. need a little help. Just don't understand how to use this... i know i'll need it and the lighting period is about to start.

Attached Files:

20. thanks for helping me using that device. however i did figure out myself.
    updates :

Attached Files: