My First Grow Journal®

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by slothearn, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Hello there, Grasscity members! I'm excited to finally have my first grow setup about 50% ready and I'm able to take photos. First a little general info: The setup resides inside of a bedroom closet (average size). I've chosen 2 14-watt LED panels for this setup for a number of reasons. Primarily, I'd like to be able to reduce my thermal footprint so that the lights can be placed <=1-2 in. above the tops of the plants. One panel is mixed spectrum and the other is a pure red panel. I also prefer the purity of the light spectrum output for LED lights as opposed to HID or CFL lights. My grow medium is a mixture of 2/3 Miracle Gro Organic Potting Mix (10-5-5) and 1/3 Miracle Gro Perlite. I began by starting seeds in 12 oz. plastic cups each with the same mix added for the medium. I sowed the seeds roughly 1/4-1/2in. beneath the surface of the soil. The strains I chose to begin with were a mix of bag seeds that I've accumulated (2 Romulan and an Orange Crush) as well as a Top-44 seed that was given to me by a friend who had ordered them some time ago. I then proceeded to give them all a nice ~2 oz. dose of Bonide Root & Grow solution. The solution was concentrated .75 tsp to 8 oz. of reverse osmosis water without sodium added. So far I've noticed fairly decent results. I've had an approximately 75% germination rate thus far. I say thus far because I took the time to check beneath the soil (carefully) of the Orange Crush seed and I see that it has indeed sprouted from under the seed, but it is not thriving as much as the others. Anyway, time for photos!

In this photo you can see the general layout of the setup:

[​IMG]

Here we can see the individual plants in their plastic cups (the Top-44 is the strongest ^_^):

[​IMG]

Another close-up of the plants themselves:

[​IMG]

Close-up of the plants with a nice view of their usual resting place and the purple glow of my mixed LED:

[​IMG]

Any comments and suggestions that the community might have will be greatly appreciated and receive responses ASAP. Thanks and wish me luck!