My First Grow (indoors, hydroponic)

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by doctorMJ, Dec 1, 2011.

1. #1 doctorMJ, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2011
    11/23/2011

It all started when I received my seeds in the mail on 11/23. I had ordered them (10 Northern Lights non-feminized, Seedsman brand "Gold Regular") from Castle Marijuana Seeds in the UK. I mailed them a money order that they received in about 7 business days (from the USA). They sent my seeds out and I received them in good condition 11 business days later (today) for a total of 18 business days (22 actual days). I don't know that I should divulge too much about the stealth packaging of the seeds (in case the officials scan these forums), but suffice it to say they were very innocent-looking in the mailbox where they were shipped (borrowed address, not mine) and would not arouse any suspicion at all. They were also very well-protected (both from physical damage and detection via scent).

Seeds and dessicant piece in bag
    [​IMG]

Seeds in flash drive type case
    [​IMG]

11/24/2011

I put six of my Northern Lights seeds in a half cup of distilled water with a few drops of Clonex and sat them in a dark cabinet. I figured if 4 germinated - and half of them were females - I would have 2 females to pick from for the mother plant. And I would still have four seeds in reserve for a rainy day. I packed them up airtight with some uncooked rice (as a dessicant) and stored them away in the freezer. I couldn't wait to see some little baby roots/sprouts when they germinated!

11/27/2011

Well after 72 hours, all 6 seeds had cracked and had the beginning of a root tip protruding from the pointed end. All 6 were placed in 1" starter cubes (rockwool) about 1/8" deep, loosely, with Ph 5.5 water already saturated into the cubes. They were then placed in a nursery tray with a humidity dome on it (both vents 80% closed) and sat back into a dark cabinet with some extra Ph 5.5 water in the tray and a heating pad on LOW underneath the tray. Some condensation could be seen inside the dome after an hour.

Condensation inside the humidity dome
    [​IMG]

11/28/2011

I received my reverse osmosis system in the mail and it seemed to work great. There was no taste to the water, just like when I have drank distilled water. One step closer ....

11/30/2011

I have a couple of seed hulls being pushed upward toward the surface of the rockwool! More are further down and headed upward, but two are really close. I am going to use my 2' long T5 Fluorescent for initially growing the seedlings (and clones in the future). I am also going to wait until there are sprouts showing before putting them under the lighting and wait until there are 3 sets of leaves before giving 1/4-strength nutrients (just water for now).

In these pictures you can see the first one that has started pushing the now-split seed hull upward. I am very excited!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. #2 doctorMJ, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2011
    12/01/2011

Five of the six seeds has produced a seedling/sprout and 4 of those have already risen out of the rockwool cube they are in. I misted them with some Ph 6.0 RO water, along with the tray and the dome, left the dome vents open all the way and put them under my T5 flourescent light (about 12' away to start with). It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas ....

This is the one that had sprouted first (#1). She has already thrown her coat off and is ready to GROW.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#6 - The runt of the litter. It is still actively germinating, just slowly.
    [​IMG]

Sitting under my 110W T5 fluorescent light, about 12-16" away from it. I will move it closer when they get a little more robust and I am sure they can take it.
    [​IMG]

I know, I know, where is the white background, Mylar, or grow tent? I was not actually expecting this much of a change when I got home this morning (ha ha). I am going to line the area they will go in with panda film and go ahead and get their home ready. I am very excited about their progress thus far. I had better get my bubbler buckets completed now (just lack getting the air pumps and stones).

I welcome any comments/advice and thank you all for looking!

3. #3 doctorMJ, Dec 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2011
    After I placed them closer to the light (ended up about 5" away) with the hood removed I snapped a few more pics (not all plants shown for brevity):

#1 and #2 before putting under T5 flourescent
    [​IMG]

#1 and #2 after 5 hours under T5 flourescent
    [​IMG]

#1 and #2 after 13 hours under T5 flourescent
    [​IMG]

#1 and #2 after 34 hours under T5 flourescent
    [​IMG]

I'm just waiting on them to fill up the cube with roots now, barely keeping the blocks damp.

4. Above picture that is not showing up for some reason, and it won't let me edit it.

#1 and #2 before putting under T5 flourescent
    [​IMG]

5. #1 and #2 after 5 days under T5 flourescent

[​IMG]

6. I apologize for the big picture, but I wanted to make sure the leaves were very visible to anyone wanting to see. I went back and forth on wondering "am I watering too much or not enough" and "am I giving nutrients too early or not giving enough"? I finally decided to flush them with RO water and put them in larger rockwool cubes (some roots were showing just a tiny bit out the sides). Only #2 is looking really pitiful (middle one on back row) and overall I guess it could be much worse (first grow and all). I am going to make an effort to really watch the water and the nutrients (when I start them back).

[​IMG]

I tested my black buckets in a pitch black room with a bright light inside it and I could see nothing at all except what was reflecting downward out of the top of the bucket (then the bottom where my hand was holding the flashlight), so I should be good to go there. I also tried the reverse with my head in the bucket and could see no light except through the open top of it.

Thanks for all the help guys. I am very excited about this and can't wait to really get a good handle on growing!

7. UPDATED TOTAL of the harvest from my first grow - 200g or 7oz or 12 quart jars full of lemony-smelling goodness - YAHOO

[​IMG]

Sorry I did not post everything in between. But it got too complicated and time-consuming trying to post the same grow to two different grow threads on two different sites. So I went with the one I was getting responses and advice from. It can be seen on TMF and is my grow journal under this same username. Thanks!