My First Grow Got some questions about Harvest and Flowering length start

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by mrobbins2222, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Hello everybody! Missy here....after becoming inspired by this forum, I attempted my first grow - here is the timeline:
    Days since germinated seed popped through: 11.5 weeks
    Days in Veg: almost 5 weeks (no pre flowers in veg)
    Days since 12/12 switch: 6.5 weeks (47)
    Days since first pistils: 5 weeks

This is bagseed in soil under fluorescent light, 2 plants, about 10-20% amber pistils, trichomes appear to have started turning cloudy...I am trying to determine when to start flushing....have been using Flora series by GH (i know, better for hydro - next grow :) ) lately only using micro and bloom, no grow.

So, a few questions:
    1. Does my flowering timeline start when 12/12 started, or at first sign of pistils?
    2. When do you think I should consider flushing?

Sorry for the upside down pics - rotated on ipad but still uploads upside down (also - bad camera, there are red hairs that can't be seen)

Attached Files:

2. Flowering time starts when 12/12 starts
    Consider flushing by mainly looking at trichomes, cloudy amber etc determine rate of increase until almost all brown/cloudy
    Look up your strain online look @ flowering times consider stopping around when it says it's suppose to finish but mainly just keep looking @ trichomes and you will have to determine when it will be good to harvest 7 days later of flushing

3. Thanks for your response! Unfortunately, its bag seed - but I think it looks like and indica so guessing 8-10ish weeks. So, since flowering began 6.5 weeks ago (was hoping for the 12/12 answer), I'm thinking it'll be another 2-3 ish weeks. So, if aiming for 75% cloudy and 25% amber, I'm just not sure the timing around that. Start when 1/2 amber pistils? 25% cloudy trichomes (75%clear)?

4. I don't start counting till I see hairs. it doesn't really matter cause ur looking at color of trichs when to harvest

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. I liked the other answer better :). Thanks for responding.

So, another question - when harvest time comes, can I plan to hang the branches to dry in my 3x3x5 grow tent? Since I have read all about the odor during harvest/drying - will the tent be okay to use (I have carbon filter in there, will keep it dark...I can also use the dehumidifier I have if needed. I must keep odor from rest of home (tent is in walkin closet that has good air flow), so this seemed to be an option. Thoughts?

6. Yea u can as long as the conditions are good with himidity and temp

7. Morning Missy....Your plants look great. Lush.  We're at the same point. I'm at 7 weeks today. I'm also a first time grower so I have lots of questions myself and have rooted around on here for a bit now.
    From your pics they look like they have some time to go. The hairs are still mostly white. 12/12 is the start of flowering. You don't see things change for awhile, but she's working hard. Get yourself a jewelers loop or other type of magnifying glass so you can watch the Trichomes. They are your key. I have a 60x and just got a 100x. Now I need new eyes..;) The hairs turn brown before the trichomes are finished so don't be fooled. I'm having a heck of a time with the microscopes. My eyes and my shaky hands are a real pain but it's the best way to know where you're at. Growing gives patience a whole new meaning...:)
    When you do harvest it sounds like your room is perfect. And hanging them in your tent is also right becasue of smell and so forth.  I got a hanging tray in case I pick individual stems off to dry as opposed to cutting the whole plant. I've read that because the buds tend to ripen at different rates you can harvest them a stem at a time. And pick at the plants over a few days. You will need to watch the temp and humidity real close because of molds etc. That shit is terrible. Someone with more experience can jump in on this, but I've also seen that you need dim light and some air movement in there. The fan makes sense, the light I don't know.
    My girls are real close. Maybe one more week. First harvest jitters....:)
    HJ

8. Hi HJ! Thanks for your response. Glad to know someone is in the same boat as me, and with similiar timings! Since my last post, the amber hairs are beyond 50%, so it's getting there! Still do not see any amber trichomes yet ( I have the 60-100x microscope and a 30x Jewelers thingie). I don't think I can tell clear vs cloudy yet so focusing on first sign of amber. I started flushing on Sat and am only giving ph'ed water since. So, hoping my timing is now within 10-14 days. New observation today - I have two plants gong - 1 of which I successfully managed to FIM(?) during veg so there are 5 top colas! Two got heavy enough that today they were almost bending to the point of breaking. I have since put in sticks to hold them up. This is sooo exciting! Keep me posted on yours. :) Missy.

9. Oy...what a long strange trip its been. I found mold the day I sent you that reply. I'd planned to harvest the following day. So after freaking out I got that done. The mold spreads REAL fast. I'd been checking the girls every day too. It may be pretty much isolated to 3 purple haze, fingers crossed. Everyone is cut up and hanging.
    Nice work on FIM. Fun huh? And they're that heavy?? Sweet!
    I think I did just about everything wrong you could do. I'm pretty sure I caused the mold by spraying the powdery mildew too much. lol...yup, had that too....
    I found the 60 x worked well. The 100 x I just could not get still enough. The cloudiness is a bit hard to pick out until they mostly go. They're all so pretty, jewels. It just slowly spreads. And a few amber ones will creep in as well. Mine were nearly all cloudy, some clear, and a few ambers here and there. I was after a "speedier" result since this is a daytime Sativa med. 
    They were supposed to take 8 weeks. But apparently LED's speed things up a bit and they all came in at 7. If I'd had to wait longer the mold would've been a real mess. Which it may or may not be. Can't tell yet. It may show up more in cure.
    I did save one lady I cannot get anywhere. There's a single grower. Going to attempt a "re-veg" with her.
    I'll learn to post pics. Love to see yours.
    HJ

10. Dang it - sorry to hear about the mold. I've been a bit worried about that so I got a dehumidifier. Been keeping humidity between 40 and 50ish %. How did you even know you had it??? I thought I had read mold starts inside bud and grows outward. How would I check for it?

I have been very lucky - I've only faced a few challenges so far and have made it through each. First issue was about 2 weeks into veg - leaves curling up and browning. Turned out to be an 'I don't know how to check for pH yet' issue. PH was approx 3-4 ish at the time (was when I learned that in soil it should be higher than for hydro). I stared off my grow using distilled water, which is much better for the range needed for hydro (5.5-6). Once I transplanted (was time) and switched to tap water (after leaving open for 48 hrs to rid the chlorine) things were much better. Naturally at around 7. But, I checked the ph each and every time I fed/watered after that.

Only other issue was fungus gnats. Used some mosquito bits sprinkled on top of soil, then watered. Also put up fly paper on tent wall near the top of the pots. They went away within 5-7 days.

So, I am really scared I'm going to start screwing something up big now - during late flowering or during harvest/drying/curing. I would cry. :)

I have learned so much this first time - I look forward to the next grow. Will try Eva's Jamaican Dream and Barney's Critical Kush. Will be nice to know what the strain is next time.

I will post some additional pictures soon. Let me know how yours turned out when u get a chance to sample it. I'm sure that's a great feeling of accomplishment.

11. Oh, and you ain't kiddin' about trying to see trichomes - with the 60x-100x - it's a battle for me - I can only see if I cut a leaf and look at it on the counter, when I try to hold leaf sideways, the trouble begins. Against the plant - just about impossible for me, can't stay still. I got my 30x a few days ago, I can look on plant but I can't tell clear/cloudy with those.

12. The blind leading the blind.

13. Chep, we are all ignorant of something. Most folks are quite ignorant about a lot things. I include myself. However, in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king. Meaning a little knowledge goes a long, long way....
    Hey mrob....I just got back from a forced evacuation from fires. How'd you grow end up?
    The mold does start inside but it'll show up on inside leaves and under stuff. If you check regular you can catch it but I have no clue if you can stop it. I was lucky, I guess, to have my harvest the next day. I cut everything up and hung it with fans going to dry as quickly as possible. Humidity is very low so fingers crossed it worked. I haven't checked anything in several days. We got back in for 30 minutes a few days ago and I stuck my head in there. Now I get to go do a good check up.
    I'm sure I caused the mold chasing powdery mildew. Like one of the other members on here said, I've covered most of the things that can go wrong. Not all I'm sure. Learn as you go.
    take care,
    Harley

14. HJ, I think you may have let a joke slide by you there...  You were both talking about having a hard time seeing the trichomes.

15. Oh no....sorry to hear that! Hope everything is ok with your home.

My update:
    My one plant that I somehow properly FIMed has 5 top colas! And one was taller than the others so after i thought i saw amber trichs starting - I ended up cutting it about 4 days ago to 'practice' the harvesting tasks (lol). Glad I did because not only have I learned some things, it caused more light to get to some lower flowers.

Today I cut the buds off the single branch and put into a small brown bag. Going to do this for 1-3 days, until they appear dry and then will start curing. It smelled great when I cut it, and for the first couple of days, but now it smells like hay/grass. I am trying to convince myself that if I do the curing properly, that smell will dissipate and the nicer aroma will return! I hope....my one worry - I don't think I've properly flushed as my plants are still very green. I am going to try another flush tomorrow and then if the trichs appear ready, will harvest soon after - once they have dried and get 24-48 hrs of darkness.

I germinated two of the seeds I purchased (Jamaican dream and Critical Kush) and planted them today in FFOF soil (an improvement from MG which I'm now blaming for my lack of flush success due to the time released nutes, although soil is over 2 months old).

Good to hear from you! Missy.

16. I, too, though it was a dig against the newbies, but then 'got' what I thought to be the joke as you mentioned. :) Fellow growers tend to be helpful so gave it the benefit of doubt.

17. Yea I meant it to be a joke that u both couldn't see the ttichs. I will help anybody that tries to help themselves fitst. I wad a noob once and I'm still learning as much as I can. I won't help anybody that don't want to make an effort to learn some on thier own

18. my bad Chep, it's been a long week. Riding the rugged edge a bit. Tend to get direct as the fatigue level goes up. I now "see" what you meant. Thank you for you kindly assistance Angry, I appreciate it :smoke:
    Any of y'all done a regeneration?
    Missy, you got it goin' on girl. Very nice work.... :hello:

19. Hey what kind of flourescent lights are you using?? How many watts n wutnot

20. Sorry to butt in, I love these threads because I remember asking a lot of questions! On my first grow, I used all cfl 26 watt daylight to veg. And soft white for flower. I used 10 total for three plants in a 16 cubic ft. Box. My best friend uses only 4 in a PC grow box type setup and switches them from daylight to soft white when he flowers. My second grow, I used a whole closet, 10-26 watters and one 65 and 55 watt bulbs. But be careful! They get hot as fuck.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Grasscity Forum mobile app