My first grow. Advice needed

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Dpx420, Jan 23, 2013.

1. First off I have read every sticky and searched and searched this site for weeks now seeking all my answers.
    My outlook is this is a site for knowledge. Where people seek advice and fellowship of others who enjoy this hobby. Now that I have hopefully put all the negative people in their place

My grow is just starting. Just germed two seeds that are bag seeds. I know the grower and supposingly they are purple diesel/silver haze cross.
    The closet I'm growing in is 4x6x8high. I plan to use fluorescent lighting to reduce heat production. I plan to net using a simple (fart fan, I'm an electrician) and carbon filter between fan and vent outside. I plan to use soil, which I purchased today to use after they have popped from the peat pots. I using miracle grow organic with Shultz perlite. Ok. My ?s are this.

What size exhaust fan will I need to effectively vent the room?
    If I generally keep my home temperature between 68-74f , using fluorescent t8 lamps with proper ventilation and fan placed once branching starts will my rom be too cool?
    Will I have any issues using t8 lamps with proper color temps?
    I'm a little faded on when veg starts and ends and flower?
    How long should I leave my new germs in peat pots?
    How big of pot should be used to only transplant once (from peat pot to final pot)

Again guys. I value all advice. If I'm missing something please feel free to chime In. Thanks

2. I would go with at least 240cfm or more. Those fans don't really flow what they are rated.
    No, 70 to 75 is just fine.
    Color temps no, they just suck as far as efficiency
    Veg ends and flower begins when you choose to change the light cycle with photo period strains
    You should throw away the peat pots and veg in cups, those things are horrible.
    Depends on how large of a plant you want to grow. Five gallon pots will support pretty large plants.

3. Are you satin cot temps aren't important? Or just that t8 sucks for efficiency ?
    And your saying that veg state depends on when I change light schedule? Whe should I do such.

4. #4 Doc-J, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
    [quote name='"Dpx420"']

Are you satin cot temps aren't important? Or just that t8 sucks for efficiency ?
    And your saying that veg state depends on when I change light schedule? Whe should I do such.[/quote]

Color temps are somewhat important, but you shouldn't have a problem finding the right spectrums in a t8 bulb. They do suck for efficiency.

Yes, with a photoperiod strain you control when you change to flower. When you do that depends on how you decide to grow. Plants will get 2x to 3x taller once you switch to flowering so factor in that as well as lighting. The trouble with most floros is that they don't have much penetration. You literally only have a few inches of usuable light. T5 ho and t5 vho lamps are better for penetration than most floros but still don't go that deep in to a canopy. Growing plants three feet tall is a waste with low light. You can utilize scrog or lst to minimize height to ensure better light to bud sites.

5. What is a scrog and lst,??

6. Ok after a little more investigation I will be slicing the peat pots once they pop from top of peat and losses up the peat and transplant into 5 gallon pots. I have access to thousands of fluorescents at great prices. So im trying to utilize fluorescent for price as well as reduced heat production. I believe the closet will maintain a proper temp after ventilation is added.

Will I have enough room in this closet to grow 2 plants, utilize a fan, and still be able to get 4' plants??

I do also have access to led replacements for flourescent fixtures in 4000k and 6000k would these work? Not familiar with growing with leds

7. Ok guys. Now my seeds have yet to break the ground. Been in ground a week and were both germinating when I planted them. Not sure about that. I have been getting my tube fluorescents wires up and ready for as soon as I get leaves.

8. i'll try my best to answer your questions

What size exhaust fan will I need to effectively vent the room?
    you won't need a big fan if your house is already that cool. i picked up the cheapest fan that fit into my grow tent and with a 150w hps i had no heat problems in my 72 degree room

If I generally keep my home temperature between 68-74f , using fluorescent t8 lamps with proper ventilation and fan placed once branching starts will my rom be too cool?
    nah it should be good. anywhere between 60-90 degrees should keep the plant growing. the fans biggest advantage when using cfl is not the temperature bonus but that the trunks and limbs grow stronger with negative(or positive) air pressure

Will I have any issues using t8 lamps with proper color temps?
    i don't believe so

I'm a little faded on when veg starts and ends and flower?
    the beauty is whenever you want!!! the most natural thing to do would be to make the "flip/switch" after all your plants have confirmed pre-flowers, which usually show 30-60 days after sprouting. cull all the males and weak plants. flower ends usually 9-12 weeks after the flip and is at the discretion of the grower. the longer the plant flowers the "stonier" the high will be. check out the trichromes yourself with a jewelers loupe to compare the color of the trichs with your desired high.

How long should I leave my new germs in peat pots?
    i would take them out of the peat pots either
    a) when they have grown their "first true leaves" or
    b) when the roots are growing out of the bottom too much and the roots need more soil

How big of pot should be used to only transplant once (from peat pot to final pot)
    it really depends on how big of a plant you want and how many plants you have. 3-5 gallon would be my recommendation but i would also suggest two transplants. one transplant from peat to a 1 gallon pot and another after the roots start poking through the bottom of the 1 gallons into a 3-5. sometimes giving the plants too much root space isn't as good as letting them get a little bit root bound and grow stronger.

if you are familiar with the way a gold fish grows to fit the tank its in (miniature in a fish tank while gigantic in a koi pond) you can compare this to the marijuana plant which has a great ability to fit to its environment, hence the nickname weed

9. Thanks ninja. I have already spooned the germinating seeds out of the peat pots very carefully wothout disturbing the seed. Actually left peat surrounding the seed and transplanted into a solo cup. I used miracle grow organic soil with perlite. I also just planted two bag seeds of headache. In efforts to supply my bum family members with something other then the plants that take my tlc to smoke. These will be separate with my purple d/silver haze cross being indoors and the headache being outdoors.

When should I place my light over my seedlings.? Will the added heat from the t8 help the seed to sprout?
    Thanks for all advice guys. You guys can make or break me

10. Alright guys. Finally have plants popping from the soil. I'm starting to look into nutes a s after review here I see that fox farms is about the best yet. I am looking to go ahead and order tomorrow but was wondering as to recommendations of the best exact products to use. As well when to start each product. Thanks guys

11. I got the General Hydroponics Flora Series. This is my first grow and they aren't old enuf to start feeding yet but from what everyone says they are equally as good as Fox Farms and a little cheaper in price. Like I said I have no experience with them but I figured I'd share anyway.

12. Will they work for a soil grow

13. Also I appreciate your input. My thread seems to be getting little response.

14. Yes they will. Mine is a soil grow. And yes my threads have been getting little responses as well. But the ones I get are very helpful. :smoking:

15. I keep mine under light as soon as I plant the germed seed. I keep them under a 600w mh. U have too keep an eye and make sure Ur soil doesn't dry tho. Seedlings love moisture.

16. I'm a bit afraid to water them. However the top layer of soil that's exposed is dry. They are in solo cups with drain holes. And the cups are in a Pyrex container that comyains 1/2" of water. Just 1/4 " above my drain holes. Should I water them a little every day until they get a solid root structure??

17. ok i have read in several places that a 1-1-1 fert is to be used for vegging, well thats 10-10-10 right? i dont have access to a hydro store, also when should i start feeding?

thanks blades