My First Grow - 8 x CFL Bulbs

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by GrowThings, Jun 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. #21 GrowThings, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    Haha on the walls too? Crazy haha, I'm hoping to scrape enough cash together in the next month or two to buy a 120x120x200 tent, carbon filter/extraction fan, and a 300w LED to flower this suspected bitch..

You aren't wrong, I think you can flower under 8 x 85w 5200k but I doubt the yield would be anything worth writing home about, I plan on getting a 300w LED before I go to flower.

28c40bfe74aaed65b1e3c75d05832f33.png

Source: How to Grow Weed With CFLs | Grow Weed Easy

2. Lots to learn,
    Personally I think you can learn allot from this link .
    I have made one of these lights and thinking of buying more of them .
    LED Grow Light Kit - MakersLED
    LED bulbs ,, study Cree LED bulbs and COB LED .

This is interesting too and I installed one of these on my LED light kit light .
    MakersCONTROLLER | MakersLED
    Good luck ,

• Like Like x 1
  3. Update: 30 days into vegging/sexing..

I’ve done a bit of LST work on my plant I have tied down 4 of the main branches that appeared after topping to allow lower branches to get some new growth ready for scrogging.

I have dropped the lights back down to 4 CFLs at 85w due to the power consumption I am going to try and keep the plant in veg until I get a 300w/600w LED light, any advice on stalling growth?

7EC4273B-73C1-4830-9CD9-219D35830FDA.jpeg
    4F5370B0-2C2D-4BA6-84A2-DD8F77CD2584.jpeg
    42AC4967-24B1-402F-9063-53BC6908D89A.jpeg

4. Hi .
    No not on stalling
    Your plant looks healthy but to me the leaf's look weird .
    Common side effect of CFL to close to the plant and/or are on 24/7

I don't care for what I am going to say next , but it is the truth .
    At 6 weeks to two months I am in flowering .
    My plants in my aeroponic systems are three times the size or your plant brother .
    They are 2.5 to 3 ft diameter and look aggressive .

Not try trying to put you or your plant down , not trying to be offensive ….
    Just trying to say there is ways to have accelerated growth.
    Not sure if T5 lighting can perform as well as a quality LED lighting .
    IMO, continuous florescent lighting cannot compete with HPS lighting and LED lighting .
    Vegetation nor flowering .
    CFL emits a ocean blue color spectrum .
    Take a CD disc and hold it under your light , you can see the color spectrum .

• Like Like x 1
  5. While I respect your opinion, I’m gonna go ahead and disagree with your statement on vegging with fluorescent. Those little cfls actually veg very well for small lights, especially for clones and seedlings. The 6500k spectrum is great at keeping tight nodes and excellerating wide growth.

T5’s veg great too. I have not had much luck vegging with any of the three different blurples I’ve tried. The plants just stretched and grew slowly compared to T5 or cfl lighting. Now a white light LED in 4000k would be ideal.

HPS sucks to veg with, unless you want tall skinny plants. I even throw in the MH bulb sometimes for the first week of flower if I know I have a stretcher going in.

Come flower time, it’s all HPS. They just penetrate and have the reds needed to produce frosty dense buds. I couldn’t imagine flowering with cfl or T5’s. What a waste of time.

• Like Like x 1
  6. That's cool , no one learns if everyone agrees .
    CFL doesn't emit UV or IR waves , plants naturally need UV-A and IR electromagnetic waves to fight off fungi and insects.
    Some LED lights have UV-A and IR bulbs .
    HPS emits both UV-A and IR waves .
    CFL light none .

UV-A and IR waves are healthy for the plant .

• Like Like x 1
  7. Plants were not designed to live in the dark nor were people .
    Look at a person who doesn't get out side in the sun light , they don't look healthy and they don't get certain vitamins in there system like Vitamin D .
    That is all from UV and IR waves

8. I think you have your specs reversed
    http://blog.pegasuslighting.com/201...ween-leds-and-cfls-infrared-and-uv-radiation/

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Not all LED bulbs are white or clear .
    Not all LED lights are equal in performance .
    And the LED lights kits that I am making have colored bulbs with both UV and IR bulbs .
    UV-A and IR waves make the plants leaf's tougher .
    Just like sun light makes people healthier .

10. I understand the benefits of uv and ir. But they are both way behind in importance when compared to spectrum for vegging. That’s why people generally don’t veg with HPS, or 2700k-3000k LEDs. Also cfls and fluorescent do contain both ir and uv. Even the glass on cool tubes block the ir and some uv from a HPS light and most would sacrifice them both in order to keep the room cooler with little to no loss in yield and potency.

I supplement uvb in flower to increase potency and speed the finish, but it’s on a small scale with reptile bulbs until I can develop a new light.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. We are all good , just looking at CFL in a different point of view brother .

I have never grow with CFL veg or flowering , only seedlings .
    My LED lights don't waist as much energy as CFL does. making heat .

Ps brother I rather use LED lights for flowering .
    There are LED lights that compare to HPS at half to one third power usage .
    I use to UV-B 35 watt lights in my tent in the last two weeks of budding .
    I got my lights from California lights works .
    The UV-B lights kill the plant but makes the buds heavier .

You ever get to Nevada PM me ,
    Welcome to my home and my weed ..

Party on

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thanks man!! I will be upgrading to LED this winter. Hard to give up on HPS, but the power bill and the heat this summer are too much. I’m thinking of building a qb/ cob combo with far red, uv, and ir. I’d love to figure out how to connect to a Makers LED controller to activate the different IR, UV and far red diodes at specific times. But for now, HPS is my powerhouse and a 1500 watt King Led (286 watt draw) supplements the ir and uv as well as spectrum.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Check out this light.LED Grow Light Kit - MakersLED
    Look at the LED bulbs used to make the light spectrum .
    This is the LED lights I have been making and they controlled using a Makers controller

• Like Like x 1
  14. RE: Soil2Coco: Mine are 5200k bulbs, and my plant has no real stretch I cannot fault the CFLs up until this point except for their power consumption, especially with all 8 running + a fan intermittently.

As for you, the leaves look an odd colour because they were completely shaded from light until today due to the upper canopy I imagine remaining an adolescent leaf colour, and as for your posts.

As I'm an internet marketer of 10 years, it just looks like you're advertising that LED light you keep posting about, using specific search keywords, trying to get buyers and get some SEO gains.

I don't appreciate it at all, this is my journal. I don't want you trying to sell me or others some off-market unknown LED light that may or may not be beneficial, it looks like complete dog shit.

The fact the site looks like complete shit, and you can barely speak English raises my suspicions even more, if you would so kindly stop posting in my thread I would appreciate it.

15. No problem .
    Your right I was taking this off topic .
    I wasn't trying to . Sorry I will try not to do that again .

The only reason I posted about the kit led lights is because Its very hard for me to explain the technology .
    Quantum physic is allot over my head.
    The technology in LED lighting used in horticulture is changing all the time , to me its exciting and I was just trying to be helpful .

There is no lower prices involved , I have been buying LED light kits because I am expanding , and I have to buy more LED lights, or light kits and trying to get the best or the latest and greatest LED lights I can get .

My English .
    I am dyslexic , I do not have a formal education .
    One of those who the teachers didn't catch on to that I had some kind of learning disability .
    More self taught,
    If I am not focused or really stoned when I write my English is terrible and I bump the key next to the key I meant to press .
    No excuses just the truth .

Sorry had no idea I was bothering you .
    And hopefully I will remember who you are so I don't bother you in the future .
    No promises .
    Good luck with your plants .

16. Update: 36 days into vegging/sexing..

My friend has offered to let me use his 600w hps, and a carbon filter + fan when he finds it which I will install into my wardrobe until I can fund a tent when I am ready to throw the plant into flower.

Right now the plant doesn't seem to be growing much, I'm just working on LST right now making sure all the colas are at a good place with lots of heads showing level on the canopy, currently I think 8-10 are visible on top.

17. Hey man, just looking at your pics and I'm curious how you draw on them ect? Is it a program?

18. Looking good! I run Fox Farms soil in my grow. I don’t have to add any nutrients until they go in bloom. Curious to see what you end up with since your running miracle grow. As far as lighting goes, remember that HPS is gonna make some heat so look into some sort of A/C unit to keep nearby or into led lighting.

19. I just used the markup on iPhone..

I have nutrients in my soil, being dumb I've caused a tad of nutrient burn to my leaves, I've flushed the fuck out of the soil and won't be adding any nutrients until I see a deficiency or until I start flowering.

How much heat do you think that HPS is going to generate?

I'll get another photo up tomorrow, she has a lot of main heads now.

20. Update: 38 days into vegging/sexing..

Lots of main colas, still waiting on other items before I flowerc, I am going to take a cutting and flower it though to determine sex in the meantime.

4ED44033-9DCE-4AF5-AAE7-692C6A2D9795.jpeg

• Like Like x 1