My first "Full Blown" grow with Northern Lights

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by DeadbyDawn, Sep 30, 2009.

1. #1 DeadbyDawn, Sep 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2009
    Hey everyone, I've been kickin around the "Absolute Beginners" section for a LONG time now ABSORBING as much knowledge as possible! Thank you to EVERYONE who has contributed there and helped us "Noobs" out!
    Anyway, after killing off literally DOZENS of bagseeds, I FINALLY was able to get one to grow to harvest. With my new found knowledge and success I've decided to purchase some "Northern Lights" seeds via "Nirvana" and start my first FULL BLOWN grow.
    Enough with the BS, lets get down to business!

I'm growing in a closet approximately 6 feet wide by 3 feet deep and 8 feet tall.

I'm using one "Sun System" T5 lighting fixture. (I plan on getting another when I increase the number of plants I'm growing.)

I'm using Fox Farms Ocean Forrest mixed with Light Warrior for drainage.

No nutes as of now, other than Molasses. I'll probably go with "Big Bloom" when I move into flowering, as well as supplementing some CFLs in order to get the correct lighting for flowering.

Here are the 3 seedlings, which were germinated using the "Paper Towel" method after soaking the seeds in a cup of water for 24 hours.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Any suggestions are MORE THAN WELCOME!

2. #2 DeadbyDawn, Oct 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2009
    Well, it's the end of week #1 and my girls appear to be doing VERY WELL! :smoke:
    The "bagseed" I grew previously didn't grow NEARLY as fast as these girls are right now! As you can see, they're looking very healthy and putting out leaf sets pretty quickly!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    No watering yet, I plan on starting a watering schedule today though. No nutes yet, but I'll be adding Molasses when I start watering. I'll wait until I transplant them into a larger container and see if they look like they're lacking anything. The only thing that is even REMOTELY concerning is the fact that they have PURPLE stems?! I've read in other places on this forum that it's not anything to really worry about yet, so I'm just going to "go with it" for now!
    [​IMG]
    Well, that's it for now. Thanx for checking my grow out, and any comments or suggestions would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

3. cool..cant wait to see how good this turns out!

4. Thanx for the comment! I'm looking forward to some BIG THINGS from these girls too! I'll keep you ALL up to date! :smoke:

5. Well, everything is going EXTREMELY well! I transplanted them into coffee cans (They're not really "cans" since they're made of plastic! LOL!) on Tuesday and they've taken to the extra room very well! I've decided to start LSTing them now as I was a little worried about waiting TOO LONG and their stems getting too thick for LSTing.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    If you're curious as to what I'm using to train them, here's a shot of it. It's just a straightened out paper clip sunk deep into the soil to hold the stem.
    [​IMG]
    I hope you're enjoying my journey as much as I am, and AS ALWAYS I welcome comments or suggestions!
    Thanx for checking my grow out!

6. I just thought I'd add that I plan on topping these plants as well so, any suggestions are welcome! It also gives me an excuse to "BUMP" my thread! LOL! :smoking:

7. love your pics and descriptions, my first bagseed just popped so i am on day 3 and just saw a sprout. only thing i could comment about your grow is, im just a noob too, but i think its a little early to start lst, im no expert but all the guides say to wait till 4-6 leaf sets. please correct me if im wrong, pretty high from my firecracker earlier :smoking:

good luck with your grow man! ill be following it :D

8. Thanks for checking it out! No, you're ABSOLUTELY right, most guides do say not to start LSTing until your plant has 4 to 6 leaf sets. The problem is, I was going to LST the bagseed I grew as well but when it reached it's 6th leaf set, I ended up FOLDING it's stem trying to train it and slowed it's growth WAY DOWN! LOL! Live and learn!
    The LSTing of my new girls doesn't SEEM to have affected them AT ALL. They've turned back toward their light and are growing upwards again. I'll get some pics up later today.
    Thanks again and Good Luck! :smoking:

9. awsome man! i love seeing pics of other peoples grows, my 2nd seedling sprouted today but some of the leafs are yellow idk if its going to make it and its stem is not very straight, but my one that sprouted yesterday is looking amazing, its color is great and the stem is very strong.

looking forward to an update of your grow!

10. VERY COOL! Good luck with your girls! I wouldn't worry about the yellow leaves on a new sprout. If you look at the 2nd pic of the first sprouts of mine, you'll see a little yellow on that one. Those pics were taken 3 days after they first sprouted and they were ALL yellow at first. Just hang in there and keep a light breeze on them to strengthen up their stems.
    Good Luck! :smoking:

11. check out LBH's 4 way lst stickie in the advance growing forum might be worth lookin into for your grow.good luck

12. Scarecrow, I can't thank you ENOUGH for pointing this guide out to me! ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT! Both you AND LBH +rep!
    Thanx again!

13. OK, as promised, here are some updated pics. After shooting these pics I read LBH's "4-way LST" guide and have removed the tie downs. I'll be waiting for the 5th leaf set and then top. I'll let them veg a little bit and then transplant into their final pot and start the 4-way LST.
    They were watered twice this week, once with Molasses. Other than that, they're pretty much on their own!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Thanx again Scarecrow for pointing out the guide to me! Hope you guys are enjoying my grow so far, and feel free to comment!

14. End of week 2 and their growth is REALLY shocking! The bagseed I grew was no where NEAR this ENTHUSIASTIC! I'll post more pics tomorrow for everyone to see.

My only real concern right now is that my bagseed grow ended up having "issues" once she was put into flowering. After HOURS of extensive reading and research I think I've nailed down the problem as being the Ph of my water. I don't have a Ph tester so, I'll be purchasing one ASAP! If anyone knows of a good but inexpensive Ph tester, PLEASE let me know! Also, any tips on HOW TO CORRECT the Ph once I figure out which direction it is.

Thanx again for reading my journal!

15. glad it helped man thats what these forums are for.

16. OK, here's the pics as promised. Everything is going GREAT and I'm really enjoying my grow so far. The only thing I've changed is that I'm spraying my girls with a spray bottle of regular water once a day. It's more of just an excuse to spend a little more time with them than to do anything really beneficial. The only new development to report is that their stems are kind of "shedding" that purple skin and are green underneath?! :eek:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Well, there they are! Hope you like em!

17. looks nice...im watching....im just wondering tho..are you supposed to pin them down that early?..

im planning on doing a few plants with LST in a box with lots of cfls..as soon as i can afford everything lol.

18. In my previous post, I linked to a "4-Way LST" that was pointed out to me by Scarecrow. After reading it I removed the stakes and they're back straight and standing again. The 4-way looks to be A LOT more efficient in my opinion so, I'm going to use it. When they're ready to start it I'll post some pics of it, but it probably wont be til next week.

Thanks for watching and stopping by! Good luck when you get started! :smoking:

19. Looking great! I'm using this for my pH meter, was about $33 at the local hydro store - I see it get bashed here at the city, but if you keep it calibrated, it works as well as any other pH meter out there.
    Here's wishing the best for you on your first REAL grow! :bongin:

20. Very cool, Thanx for the info and also the Luck! I'll be heading for my local hydro store on Wednesday.
    Thanx again!