My first dwc grow.

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by MandalaSmoker, Feb 27, 2013.

1. #21 MandalaSmoker, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2013
    I need to for sure.

I need a dehumidifier , a good oscilating fan, and some better lighting.I can get this 150watt hps sun lamp system thing for only 80$.The cheapest and most effective for price dehumidifier I could find is 51$ and Im not sure how much a fan will be.

When I turned the lights on this morning I noticed alot of trichome devolopment on the leaves.

2. consider a 400 watt or 600 watt MH/HPS combo kit with magnetic ballast. Theyre cheap bbut still reliable, you can run MH AND HPS in the same unit with the flip of a switch and the 600Watt gives the best Lumen to Watt Ratio with 400watt being right behind it. You will LOSE...YOUR...SHIT... if you make this upgrade :) (if you do though, consider an aircooled hood for summer months depending on where you live)

3. #23 MandalaSmoker, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2013
    I found a dimmable 400 watt mh/hps for only 121 bucks on amazon.I got rid of alot of the under growth.Those two were super bushy to me.

The buds have been growing nicely and it smells good but not to strong or anything.This is in a cloaet in a back room and the only time I smell it is when Im in the rom with the closet and thats not too bad.I wanted to get a twnt but they cost alot and are kinda big.Id have to take stuff out of the room and set it up in the corner.

Im having alot of fun though and really enjoy learning about hydroponics in general.Ive been looking into fogponics aquaponics and stuff like that.

Attached Files:

4. I have a question.

Im changing the res every 4 days.If my ppm are 550 how long would the nutrient solution last?That would depend on alot like how many plants per container and whatnot soooo

It has four plants and they are about 30 days old from seed and have been on 12/12 for 21 days now.

5. changing your res every 4 days is top notch care :)

the plants drink and the plants eat. When the plants drink more than they eat, their "food" is more concentrated. If the food is also being "eaten" while it is being concentrated, it will remain the same pecentage. If they are "eating" more than they are "drinking" than the "food" will be less concentrated. The key is to monitor TDS and res level (I mark my res to keep track of volume, I recomend you do this too)

6. #26 MandalaSmoker, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2013
    Thank you.

Ive noticed my ress are loosing more and more water.The ppm remains the same untill around the 4th day if I remember correctly.Im glad the guy at the hydroponic store told me to get the go box.I think its been keeping ph stable.

7. quick note: PPM is a measurement of TDS. Your TDS stays the same,not your PPM(said respectfully) :)

I just googled this gobox. Looks cool. Lots of fun things in there. Keep in mind, even with buffers in your nute solution, you kindof WANT Ph to climb a little. The higher Ph encourages proper Magnesium and Calcium usage. Your res change schedule is fantastic but if you find youre getting little rust colored spots or barred lightening stripes on the leaves, you may want to consider going longer before res swap to allow Ph to climb a little. calcium and Magnesium ARE available at low PH like other nutrients but are more easily taken in at higher pHs

8. Thanks for all the help man.I really appreciate it.

9. So I transplanted one of my plants into a netpot.That was about 8 days ago.It went okay for my first transplant from coco into hydroton and a netpot.The first few days it had troubpe satying up straight because the root mass was just sitting in the netpot because I couldnt get many roots through the holes.I put a stick into the rootmass praying I didnt do damage amd tied her up.

First pic is from two days ago when root growth finally started going through.Next is from just now.The root growth seems alright to me and is looking nice.No sludge build up yet and the fibers on the roots look nice.We will see how long that lasts with this nutrient line Im using(general organics)Ive been looking into it and it seems to cause some teouble in hydroponics.Its what I have at the moment untill I get more nutrients which shoild be soon.

Im going with the floraseries and a few additives and will work my way around figuring out nutrients.Okay scratch the remark about the first picture.I deleted it last night sorry. Root growth has certainly started poking out the netpot though.

Attached Files:

10. more roots

Attached Files: