Grasscity - Cyber Week Sale - up to 50% Discount

My *first* crappy, too-late setup (started 8-1)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by LaunchSystem, Aug 12, 2008.

1. #1 LaunchSystem, Aug 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2008
    I started these bagseeds on the 1st. So far I haven't done anything special for them, just planted the germinated seeds in small paper cups. I've left them on the windowsill, and let them soak up as much light as they can from the sun.
    I've been watering with Miracle Grow all-purpose whenever the soil gets dry.
    When they get big, I have three 1-gallon pots to put the best of the bunch in. I also have some Miracle Grow food spikes for later.

Any tips? Keep in mind that this is my first grow, and I have an extremely low budget. Do you think I should keep more than three of the sprouts? I'm also thinking about getting a (single) flourescent light, and sticking these bad girls in a closet. I have less than $20 to work with right now.
    I'm really only hoping to get a harvest at all, even a really small one. I may try to flower the plants at 12-18 inches, since I don't have much growing room. Anyone have experience with growing to that height? Will I get significantly less yeild?
    I could also geurilla grow the plants at a nearby river. What should I look for in a grow spot, and how old should the plants be before transplanting? Isn't it too late in the year?

This will be my kind of growlog / questions (mostly questions) thread. If a mod thinks that this topic would be better in the growlogs section, please move it.

LaunchSystem

Picture 1
    Picture 2

2. Will be following this thread! I'm thinking of doing something similar, well, maybe.

3. dont get a fluro light, buy cfls, cheaper and you can get more lumens onto your plants

4. My setup has been fairly cheap. Check out the CFL lights. I used $8 desk lights from wal-mart which mount wonderfully onto the side of the pot. I must concur that CFL's are the way to go in a small, budget grow. Mine has been doing great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was also able to build my own growbox (pictured above) for reasonably cheap. Just the cost of some 1x4's and plywood. I had never built anything before, and it turned out pretty good I thought (for a first timer)!

5. I'll say, Azure. I'll have to try that. I have a nice, mostly light-tight closet, so if I get a CFL and use a desk lamp... Awesome, dude, thanks for the info.

Now I need to hit the hardware store... lol

LaunchSystem

6. Latest pics. I've removed the dud seeds. and soon I'll be taking out the unhealthy sprouts too.
    How soon should I expect the big sprout to grow it's first "real" leaves?
    LS

Attached Files:

7. you may want to keep as many as possible. Your using bag seed and alot of times the weak plants are the girls. My lady one of 5 plants was the weakest floppiest plant I had and grew all retarded. I worked with her with the fan and topped her and she took off. she is now 28 inches tall and has been in flowering for two weeks. I gotta move my hps light. I am on a budget too. I got a 70 watt hps light from lowes for 28 bucks and I had my old military id so I got a discount. I use it in conjunction with my cfl. Reason I got a hps at all is that hps has lots of red spectrum for flowering better yield with hps and you can use them through the whole grow start to finish. Mine is a street lamp modified with a real shiney reflector I had left over from a cylindar skylight. 70 watts of hps puts off about 6500 lumens so you need light suplemetal light I use it for under growth and mid way down the plant. I also got pretty good home made ventilation/cooling system. careful for light leaks.

8. #8 KamelRedLight, Aug 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2008
    Haha that made me laugh.

Launchsystem, I demand you stop feeding your sprouts! The general rule is to wait until the 4th set of leaves, but I usually go by when I see the cotyledons die off. Also, I'm pretty sure those MG sticks are a bad idea. Anything time release is not good for growing weed. You'll burn them and end up with sick plants and buds that taste like crap. I'd look for something organic with a complete range of micronutrients.
    If you're going to be growing inside, I'd get some lights ready. For the vegetative stage of life, you want something with around a 6500k spectrum. This is either a metal halide light, or daylight CFL's/fluorescent tubes. It'll keep them from stretching so you can get compact bushy growth.

Oh and look up LST, low stress training. It's basically tying your plants down so you can have a short bush with a lot of bud sites, instead of one vertical stalk. You'll want to do this if you have height restrictions. Totally worth it.